Register

Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

11 Jun 2017 13:04

Fulgsang at dauphine...
portugal11

11 Jun 2017 14:39

...where? did that come from............dadawg ...LRP looking at each other while the fox trotted off

with the chicken

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

11 Jun 2017 14:42

portugal11 wrote:Fulgsang at dauphine...

A lot of pressure from Vino? yes, where did fulsang come from? he looked strong, even at the end of race, he remined me of Landa at Astana after the Giro races, it was like nothing
jilbiker

11 Jun 2017 15:09

If Fuglsang wins the Tour the forum would blow up for sure. It would surpass Wiggins for sure and maybe even Froome.
DanielSong39

11 Jun 2017 15:22

One word: Fuglesang...

Okay, maybe I have more to say than one word. If any performance over the past five years fit the OP perfectly it was Fuglesang and this years Dauphine. He looks like the best climber in the world at the moment, an attribute that has never ever been something associated with the Birdsong.

Astana strikes again, making a mockery of anti-doping efforts by putting a perennial also-ran into the Tour de France contender conversation. :o
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

11 Jun 2017 15:29

Fuglsang hasn't won yet though. So far he's Iban Mayo 2.0 for all we know. If he smashes the Tour, that's a different story.

Aru, not even close since he's a GT winner and the hype machine has been persistent since at least 2014.
DanielSong39

11 Jun 2017 15:31

Also Talansky won the 2014 Dauphine and he didn't even register on the radar. Did nothing in the Tour that year and has only recently rounded back into decent form. Fuglsang was the shocker of the Dauphine but let's hold our horses for the time being.
DanielSong39

Re:

11 Jun 2017 15:43

DanielSong39 wrote:Also Talansky won the 2014 Dauphine and he didn't even register on the radar. Did nothing in the Tour that year and has only recently rounded back into decent form. Fuglsang was the shocker of the Dauphine but let's hold our horses for the time being.

To be fair, Talansky only won because Contador was obsessed only with Froome and let him miles up the road before realising Froome wasn't bluffing. Fuglsang outclimbed everyone with ease.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

Re:

11 Jun 2017 16:15

Irondan wrote:One word: Fuglesang...

Okay, maybe I have more to say than one word. If any performance over the past five years fit the OP perfectly it was Fuglesang and this years Dauphine. He looks like the best climber in the world at the moment, an attribute that has never ever been something associated with the Birdsong.

Astana strikes again, making a mockery of anti-doping efforts by putting a perennial also-ran into the Tour de France contender conversation. :o

No.

(a) History: sixth in Dauphine 2009, similar performances in the hardest stage races and one day races each year since. I agree it seems like he is better than ever, including a little bit better than Dauphine 2013 when he finished fourth with a second and fourth on stages. But not by much. That physical condition + race events would one day come together so he could win a big race is not unnatural. Also remember in the TDF 2013 in the two hardest stages, Ventoux and double Alpe d'Huez, he finished fourth/fifth of the top ten gc riders.

(b) Result here was because tactics like with Talansky. Fuglsang was not the strongest on friday's stage. Aru caught thirty seconds to him in a couple of kms and he couldn't follow Aru with one km to go. Froomey/Portey came back from even further and lucklily for Jacob the last km was easy. In today's stage Porte was strongest physically and probably Froome too but he used his energies by attacked too much and too early.

(c) Competition on the last mountain: second Martin, third Meintjes, fourth Buchmann, all within 50 seconds.

In my opinion Froome/Porte in the TDF will be as good as they have been in the last five years ie the best in the world. If Fuglsang can follow those two there in the real stages there is a real argument. As it stands now he is in the same group of riders, second line after the SKY/ex SKY guys + Quintana and I guess Dumo but the same level as Mollema, Bardet, Aru, van Garderen, König etc, as he was four years ago and basically already was eight years ago.
User avatar ciranda

11 Jun 2017 16:29

Astana strike again. This time it's Fuglesang never been anything more than a strong domestique until this Dauphine obviously Astana needed more firepower to support Aru.
Cookster15

Re:

11 Jun 2017 16:37

DanielSong39 wrote:If Fuglsang wins the Tour the forum would blow up for sure. It would surpass Wiggins for sure and maybe even Froome.

No. The two clowns were more suitable to serving lattes in Girona than owning the tdf judging by their histories in gts.

Fuglsang is dodgy of course, but the comparison is way off. Saying he is dodgy does not depend on such exaggerations. Just look at what he did.
User avatar meat puppet

Re: Re:

11 Jun 2017 19:09

meat puppet wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:If Fuglsang wins the Tour the forum would blow up for sure. It would surpass Wiggins for sure and maybe even Froome.
Fuglsang is dodgy of course, but the comparison is way off. Saying he is dodgy does not depend on such exaggerations. Just look at what he did.

Yep, a 32 year old just won the Dauphine showing form we have never seen before from him. Completely agree with Irondan - Astana strikes again. A mockery.
Cookster15

Re: Re:

11 Jun 2017 19:21

Cookster15 wrote:
meat puppet wrote:

Yep, a 32 year old just won the Dauphine showing form we have never seen before from him. Completely agree with Irondan - Astana strikes again. A mockery.

Oh, i agree about fuglsang being hilarious. But not with the comparison to wiggins and froome, the gruppetto all stars, i quoted above.
User avatar meat puppet

11 Jun 2017 19:33

It was a sucpisous result, but at least fuglsang has shown a decent level as a grand tour and stage rider before, so while we should be sucpious, i would not clasify this as froome or wiggins level, who magically became grand tour riders from the one day to the next.
Frankschleck

11 Jun 2017 19:38

Today Fuglsang definitely was quite a bit silly
User avatar GuyIncognito

11 Jun 2017 19:41

Because he outclimbed Martin, just like in all the other mountain stages? ;)

Froome, Valverde and Aru was more active than him in the stage, and Porte had to chase in the valley.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

11 Jun 2017 19:48

Fuglsang just added 2 levels to his normally pretty good top-10 climbing.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

11 Jun 2017 19:57

Netserk wrote:Because he outclimbed Martin, just like in all the other mountain stages? ;)

Froome, Valverde and Aru was more active than him in the stage, and Porte had to chase in the valley.

Its not just what we saw today. In yesterday's queen stage Fuglsang finished with Porte and ahead of Froome, Aru, Valverde and Contador. Friday he outsprinted Porte for the win after cresting the hardest climb in the race. I can't recall seeing this level from him before. He is 32 now this level should have been more evident earlier in his career and the fact Porte decided to mark Froome rather than Fuglsang today suggests Fuglsang's level was a surprise to him too. My theory is Aru is coming back well and they need a strong support rider for a tilt at the TdF. They just found one.
Cookster15

11 Jun 2017 20:02

At the end of the day Dauphine is an exhibition and Fuglsang will need to win the Tour to get near the top of this list.
DanielSong39

Re:

11 Jun 2017 21:28

Netserk wrote:Because he outclimbed Martin, just like in all the other mountain stages? ;)

Because of the gap and the ease. He carved it alone. Plus in the valley he did most of the work until he caught the front. Bardet barely took pulls
User avatar GuyIncognito

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic