Register

Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

12 Jun 2017 01:18

I think it makes the list.

Look at the names he's outclassed: Bardet, Valverde, Contador, Froome, Porte, Martin. We're talking the absolute elite climbers, all coming into top form. It's June. And it's Astana. Fuglsang has always been quality - but not ride the elite climbers off his wheel quality.

It's in the list for sure.
User avatar The Hegelian

12 Jun 2017 02:21

Just put Astana. Just looking at Aru coming back the way he did it after doing nothing for more than a year is very telling.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

12 Jun 2017 06:51

Just watched the final 30k. That was a bit grotesque.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

12 Jun 2017 08:38

The Hegelian wrote:I think it makes the list.

Look at the names he's outclassed: Bardet, Valverde, Contador, Froome, Porte, Martin. We're talking the absolute elite climbers, all coming into top form. It's June. And it's Astana. Fuglsang has always been quality - but not ride the elite climbers off his wheel quality.

The thing is tho, that Fuglsang probaly always has been a better climber than martin to a certain extent, while you could argue that with the energi spent by froome, porte , and valverde, he might just have been lucky. And then again contador was just **** in this race :( That makes it a bit more realistic for me, but yeah astana is a problem, and is the best argument against him because the chances are the whole astana team is loaded with dope
Frankschleck

Re: Re:

12 Jun 2017 09:44

GuyIncognito wrote:
Netserk wrote:Because he outclimbed Martin, just like in all the other mountain stages? ;)

Froome, Valverde and Aru was more active than him in the stage, and Porte had to chase in the valley.

Because of the gap and the ease. He carved it alone. Plus in the valley he did most of the work until he caught the front. Bardet barely took pulls

You mean on Colombière? I'd say that his efforts before the MTF were somewhat similar to what Martin did, and that he did better than him is not shocking after the previous two stages.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

12 Jun 2017 10:35

it's hardly a surprise that he is showing good form this season... his contract is ending :)
Arrowfarm

12 Jun 2017 12:03

Fuglsang suspicious?, sure. Enough to warrant discussion?, sure. But most suspicious performance of the last five years? Sorry, but lol ..
Carstenbf

Re:

12 Jun 2017 16:24

Carstenbf wrote:Fuglsang suspicious?, sure. Enough to warrant discussion?, sure. But most suspicious performance of the last five years? Sorry, but lol ..

I suspect people are using this thread for the wrong reasons. Maybe because is one of the few being looked at.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

12 Jun 2017 23:26

Frankschleck wrote:

The thing is tho, that Fuglsang probaly always has been a better climber than martin to a certain extent, while you could argue that with the energi spent by froome, porte , and valverde, he might just have been lucky. And then again contador was just **** in this race :( That makes it a bit more realistic for me, but yeah astana is a problem, and is the best argument against him because the chances are the whole astana team is loaded with dope

Yeah, true enough.

But there's also stage 6 to consider. I think he was undoubtedly the second best climber in the race.

And if you go back to pre-race speculations, who was seriously putting Fuglsang up there with riders like Bardet, Valverde, Froome et al? In hindsight, one could easily imagine him finishing in the top group maybe even a few times - then losing a little bit on other days.

But riding them all off his wheel? Nope, that really is suss.
User avatar The Hegelian

Re:

12 Jun 2017 23:31

Carstenbf wrote:Fuglsang suspicious?, sure. Enough to warrant discussion?, sure. But most suspicious performance of the last five years? Sorry, but lol ..

If not Fuglsang then in your opinion what's more suspicious?
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

13 Jun 2017 03:19

If you regard taking 12 seconds on masterclimber Dan Martin as one of the most suspiscious performances of the last five years one must reconsider ones objectivity.

LRP was impressive though, to say the least :)
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

13 Jun 2017 07:00

Isn't it odd he mentions it maybe time to move on soon, having been at ASTANA too long, and then he turns in such a good performance ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-open-to-offers-as-he-considers-leaving-astana/

Maybe lone wolf charging to a new $$$$ contract ?
timbat

13 Jun 2017 09:02

You guys are looking at the wrong rider. There was one alien performance on Sunday, and it wasn't in the front group.

That said, it's obvious Fuglsang stepped up his game. Not sure it's on Astana though. He needs a new contract.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

13 Jun 2017 09:51

The Hegelian wrote:
Frankschleck wrote:

Yeah, true enough.

But there's also stage 6 to consider. I think he was undoubtedly the second best climber in the race.

And if you go back to pre-race speculations, who was seriously putting Fuglsang up there with riders like Bardet, Valverde, Froome et al? In hindsight, one could easily imagine him finishing in the top group maybe even a few times - then losing a little bit on other days.

But riding them all off his wheel? Nope, that really is suss.

He did get dropped by Aru in the race, so i hope it is all just self confidence after finally getting a win. We have to remember he was also one of the 5 strongest riders in the olympics last year so he has showed form on this level before, and while fromme, valverde and maybe bardet are normally better climbers than him, none of them really looked in top top form and valverde and froome spent to much energy in some of the stages. With all that being said, i stile believe he doped, mainly because he didn't seemed troubled at all after crossing the finish line after such a big effort. But i wouldn't say that the result of the dauphine is arguement against him, that it is not that big a wildshot, he was still with in by the bookmakers as the 7th most likely rider to win before the race,
Frankschleck

13 Jun 2017 10:47

Hesjedal 2012 Giro.Wiggins 2012 Tour. Froome 2013 Tour. Astana/Contador 2015 Giro. Porte 2015 Tour. Dumoulin 2017 Giro. Etc, etc.

Look it's procycling. I suspect all of them. Having been through Riis and Rasmussen, I'm not about to declare Fuglsang's innocence am I? In retrospect I probably shouldn't have posted. Guess I got triggered by him being compared to the apparition that was Ventoux 2013, when I almost fell off my chair laughing while watching. :razz:
Carstenbf

13 Jun 2017 11:59

sorry i'm late... but what's the deal with the Benoot kid? i thought he was a more oriented classic rider despite having a good results at Algarve, but Dauphine is a high mountain stage race. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't highly suspicious, want to hear your opinion
User avatar Guybrush

13 Jun 2017 12:00

Carstenbf wrote:

Hesjedal 2012 Giro.Wiggins 2012 Tour. Froome 2013 Tour. Astana/Contador 2015 Giro. Porte 2015 Tour. Dumoulin 2017 Giro. Etc, etc.

Look it's procycling. I suspect all of them. Having been through Riis and Rasmussen, I'm not about to declare Fuglsang's innocence am I? In retrospect I probably shouldn't have posted. Guess I got triggered by him being compared to the apparition that was Ventoux 2013, when I almost fell off my chair laughing while watching. :razz:

Contador in 2015 giro? Looooool
portugal11

13 Jun 2017 13:34

portugal11 wrote:
Carstenbf wrote:

Contador is of course a doper, but yeah 2015 is a bad example
Frankschleck

13 Jun 2017 15:08

Frankschleck wrote:
portugal11 wrote:
Carstenbf wrote:

I think there is a lot suspicious about that performance, being immense in the TT and the Motirolo stage, but then garbage on the Finestre.
Singer01

13 Jun 2017 15:21

Singer01 wrote:
Frankschleck wrote:
portugal11 wrote:
Carstenbf wrote:

I think there is a lot suspicious about that performance, being immense in the TT and the Motirolo stage, but then garbage on the Finestre.

yeah of course there is, i would just say with contador, there are a lot even more unrealistic preformances, so i don't really see him as suscpisious, i more see it as a fact that he is doped, after all, he has been caught once.
Frankschleck

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic