Log in:  

Register

Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

19 May 2017 19:21

DanielSong39 wrote:Where did this Gaviria guy come from?

My god is this what this place is now reduced to?
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,146
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Re:

19 May 2017 20:05

Bolder wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Well, the Giro is only partway through, and he could still tank and lose 20 minutes. But if Domoulin holds on to win however that will put him up there with Horner, and some of Froome's recent "achievements".



Yeah, but Horner was a month shy of his 42nd birthday when he clinched the Vuelta in 2013. Dumoulin is 26, 27 towards the end of the year. Where was Horner at 26, 27? Wasn't he a journeyman, racing domestically, primarily? And Dumoulin has had good to excellent results since he became a pro.


Dumoulin is a physically gifted GT rider in the same mold as Indurain -- essentially a rouleur who can climb, dominates TT, can hold his own in the mountains, and with the right combination of circumstances (course, crashes, team tactics) can win a GT. I would say that his performances aren't all that suspicious. Nowhere near Landis/Horner level.


I don't disagree. I think you just missed my point. My point was exactly that, that his performances are far less suspicious than Landis/Horner/Froome/Wiggins...
BullsFan22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,882
Joined: 22 Jun 2010 21:19

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

20 May 2017 13:32

rick james wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:Where did this Gaviria guy come from?

My god is this what this place is now reduced to?

And this is why I post here a lot less than I once did.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,060
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

21 May 2017 06:42

DanielSong39 wrote:Where did this Gaviria guy come from?

Umm...

That stopped being funny after the 2015 Tour de San Luis.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,507
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

21 May 2017 17:11

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
rick james wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:Where did this Gaviria guy come from?

My god is this what this place is now reduced to?

And this is why I post here a lot less than I once did.


Or maybe it is that things have gotten worse in the sport rather than better since the clinic came into being.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

22 May 2017 19:50

I still think it's a bit too early to place Dumoulin in the suspicious range, he's always been good at TTs, good in the first two weeks of a TT. Admittedly he hasn't been at this form, but he can still crack.
Durden93
Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: 06 Sep 2016 19:16

Re:

25 May 2017 18:06

Durden93 wrote:I still think it's a bit too early to place Dumoulin in the suspicious range, he's always been good at TTs, good in the first two weeks of a TT. Admittedly he hasn't been at this form, but he can still crack.


My butt hurts thinking about a two week time trial. Where do you find the open road for such a race, or is it done on the track? ; )
Ironhead Slim
Junior Member
 
Posts: 86
Joined: 07 Jul 2015 17:48

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

25 May 2017 21:20

Benotti69 wrote:Or maybe it is that things have gotten worse in the sport rather than better since the clinic came into being.

The Clinc was created in June of 2009. Things were pretty bad then, but not like 2002 or the 90's. Still, I harbor no illusions that when Armstrong was swept away, so was the doping. Only a gullible fool would ascribe to that.

Don't worry, I'll be here for my obligatory posts in the Sky or Froome threads come July when I walk away from the TV laughing.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,060
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

25 May 2017 22:30

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:Or maybe it is that things have gotten worse in the sport rather than better since the clinic came into being.

The Clinc was created in June of 2009. Things were pretty bad then, but not like 2002 or the 90's. Still, I harbor no illusions that when Armstrong was swept away, so was the doping. Only a gullible fool would ascribe to that.

Don't worry, I'll be here for my obligatory posts in the Sky or Froome threads come July when I walk away from the TV laughing.


Well when i think of Wiggins and Froome's transformations to skeletal climbers who increased their power for TTs and Sky do the USPostal train then add in a motor or many and i think things look worse.

I have given up watching daily broadcasts of GTs because i have not got a clue if i am watching a bicycle race or a motorbicycle race !!!
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re: Most Suspicious Performance Of The Last 5 Years

25 May 2017 22:54

Benotti69 wrote:I have given up watching daily broadcasts of GTs because i have not got a clue if i am watching a bicycle race or a motorbicycle race !!!
Yeah, that's why GT has also given up on watching the stages.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,332
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

26 May 2017 07:29

So how does TJ go from zero to hero? Gold top on his Weetabix?
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
Froome & Roy Moore - blessed St Lucia!
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,184
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

26 May 2017 09:29

Its a smaller race but 33-year old Oscar Pujol once again put everybody to shame on Mt. Fuji in the Tour of Japan. Even the Iranians didn't come close and finished minutes down. Quite the late bloomer.

Image

Image
User avatar classicomano
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,471
Joined: 05 May 2011 15:13

26 May 2017 13:30

Didn't Oscar Pujol race for Lotto but then spectacularly failed?
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 22,196
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

26 May 2017 13:34

Oscar Pujol once won an absolutely epic stage from a breakaway on Bola del Mundo against me in PCM 09, so he's exempt from suspicion. ;)
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 977
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

26 May 2017 19:43

Since he's a late bloomer, maybe in another 8 years he'll hit his prime and win the Vuelta.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,060
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

26 May 2017 20:17

This whole Giro seems almost as if it is scripted with all the random drama regarding the GC.
Nick C.
Member
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 11:43

Re:

27 May 2017 23:36

Nick C. wrote:This whole Giro seems almost as if it is scripted with all the random drama regarding the GC.

If there is a twist ending I'd definitely agree.
DanielSong39
Member
 
Posts: 868
Joined: 15 Jul 2016 13:03

28 May 2017 07:33

...i want that poop tested...what was hidden within?

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

Re:

29 May 2017 12:29

ebandit wrote:...i want that poop tested...what was hidden within?

Mark L


Nuts. It was a bit nutty. ;)
User avatar Galic Ho
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,794
Joined: 12 Aug 2009 13:49

Re:

30 May 2017 12:11

classicomano wrote:Its a smaller race but 33-year old Oscar Pujol once again put everybody to shame on Mt. Fuji in the Tour of Japan. Even the Iranians didn't come close and finished minutes down. Quite the late bloomer.

Image


It's not that strange as the Iranians haven't been as dominant as a nation on the Asian racing scene in the last 2 seasons. Pujol only won the Tour of Japan by 1:40 to Nathan Earle in 2nd and "Even the Iranians didn't come close and finished minutes down" it was only 1:22 on the Mt Fuji stage. He had sweet FA race days from 2012-15 but has picked things up in the last season and a half and is now GC leader at Team UKYO. By the way I'm not saying he's clean in any way but he had reasons for his sub par form for a few seasons.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells
Member
 
Posts: 1,584
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 16:03
Location: Melbourne-ish

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 70kmph, anesting, Ariane, Bing [Bot], jens_attacks, markene2, Melo, Publicus, Red Rick, Robert5091, ruamruam, The Hitch and 72 guests

Back to top