Register

Motor doping thread

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Motor doping thread

22 May 2018 07:17

https://www.twitter.com/copelandbrent/status/998813772616749056

They X-rayed 5 bikes while I was there, if I’m not mistaken it was the first five of the stage ......it was a longer process than I expected but interesting to see how thorough it was as they check every part of the bike incl. frame, hubs, wheels, crankset etc.

They do the testing in the same area of the anti doping in the finish line area, it’s compulsory for each test to have a team representative to be present and to witness the testing, testing was thorough, it’s a complete X-ray where you see internally of every component
pastronef

22 May 2018 17:59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qN3oWJ-2pE

Go to 42:00 minutes. Hamliton in little doubt that motors have been used by top riders in the big races, quelle surprise!
ontheroad

23 May 2018 10:23

Would it be possible to have a motor which could be put on and off the bike by the rider ? this would explain how motors are being used but not detected.
User avatar Cycle Chic

23 May 2018 10:29

Cycle Chic wrote:Would it be possible to have a motor which could be put on and off the bike by the rider ? this would explain how motors are being used but not detected.

quoted for truth.....oops! the secrets out

if only I could think out of the box and have come up with this

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

23 May 2018 19:06

When Cancellara goes up Muur, you can work out the exact time the motor is activated.
DanielSong39

Re:

25 May 2018 00:14

Cycle Chic wrote:Would it be possible to have a motor which could be put on and off the bike by the rider ? this would explain how motors are being used but not detected.

The motor could be hidden in the hub, but all the other electronic bits (wiring, battery, electronics, motor driver) would have to be in the frame. But the main reason motors haven't been found is that a la Cancellara they were too new to be tested for. And the iPads were a joke, not actual testing or anyone with e-shifting would have been positive. And staying one step ahead would mean reluctance motors with no magnets. And now with x-rays, you just have to make sure that the bike that gets checked isn't the one with the motor.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

Re: Re:

25 May 2018 03:31

ScienceIsCool wrote:

The motor could be hidden in the hub, but all the other electronic bits (wiring, battery, electronics, motor driver) would have to be in the frame. But the main reason motors haven't been found is that a la Cancellara they were too new to be tested for. And the iPads were a joke, not actual testing or anyone with e-shifting would have been positive. And staying one step ahead would mean reluctance motors with no magnets. And now with x-rays, you just have to make sure that the bike that gets checked isn't the one with the motor.

John Swanson

When you say "just" are you suggesting it's easy to swap out? Just curious either way, and if it would be easy, how? I can't figure it out.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

25 May 2018 03:51

red_flanders wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

John Swanson

When you say "just" are you suggesting it's easy to swap out? Just curious either way, and if it would be easy, how? I can't figure it out.

I think you can figure it out. You just need to not finish on said bike or have a wheel change prior to completing the stage. Considering the x-ray ice cream van is so slow at checking and is being used sparingly if at all. It’s BAU it appears with the Candy Crush iPads in full swing.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

25 May 2018 03:54

thehog wrote:
red_flanders wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

John Swanson

I think you can figure it out. You just need to not finish on said bike or have a wheel change. Considering the x-ray ice cream van is so slow at checking and is being used sparingly. BAU it appears.

I get the first bit, but it doesn't help on a mountain top finish. And the report I heard about the machine strongly asserted that the first 5 or so, can't recall exactly, were scanned as soon as they crossed the finish line. Doping control and scan, immediately. So that's where I tend to wonder how you'd get around that.

And mountain top finishes are where you would need the motor the most, presumably.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

25 May 2018 08:13

red_flanders wrote:
thehog wrote:
red_flanders wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

John Swanson

I think you can figure it out. You just need to not finish on said bike or have a wheel change. Considering the x-ray ice cream van is so slow at checking and is being used sparingly. BAU it appears.

I get the first bit, but it doesn't help on a mountain top finish. And the report I heard about the machine strongly asserted that the first 5 or so, can't recall exactly, were scanned as soon as they crossed the finish line. Doping control and scan, immediately. So that's where I tend to wonder how you'd get around that.

And mountain top finishes are where you would need the motor the most, presumably.

Unless you use your motored bike in the run in, to save your legs. Then swap your motored bike with a proper one and create havoc with your fresh legs. Imagine swapping bikes before finestre, motor up the climb and swapping back to your regular one in the valley leading to Jafferau. We've seen strange bike changes before.
rghysens

25 May 2018 12:17

rghysens wrote:Unless you use your motored bike in the run in, to save your legs. Then swap your motored bike with a proper one and create havoc with your fresh legs. Imagine swapping bikes before finestre, motor up the climb and swapping back to your regular one in the valley leading to Jafferau. We've seen strange bike changes before.

Granted, definitely. But I haven’t noticed anything like that in this race. But I could have certainly missed some.and it would reduce the advantage somewhat.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

25 May 2018 12:44

Motorbike in action! Froome wins the Giro!
DanielSong39

26 May 2018 10:16

theres no bike swap going on - Froomes always seen on race radio just before he attacks - I think theres a remote controlled device being used to activate the motor....sorry but its the only plausible reason so far
User avatar Cycle Chic

26 May 2018 11:28

"I have seen many lean riders in the peloton, but very few Tour winners."
User avatar Pantani Attacks

26 May 2018 13:24

And UCI will claim that there's nothing to see here.

This stuff isn't rocket science.
DanielSong39

26 May 2018 14:37

As I've stated many times on here and elsewhere, there have been motors used in the pro tour. The only way to argue that Froome used a motor yesterday is with a UCI conspiracy. Did he change bikes in the last 100 K (or at all for that matter)? His bike was xrayed after the finish. 1) I think that there are too many people involved for a conspiracy, 2) It seems like the UCI would love to nail CF with a motor to kill two birds with one stone, 3) why would CF be the UCI golden child (all along, not just now)?
jmdirt

Re: Motor doping thread

26 May 2018 14:43

There was no motor involved yesterday. Stop making fools of yourselves. Have some standards.
Arked

Re:

26 May 2018 14:55

Cycle Chic wrote:theres no bike swap going on - Froomes always seen on race radio just before he attacks - I think theres a remote controlled device being used to activate the motor....sorry but its the only plausible reason so far

Why would having the motor activated by a remote device be an advantage in any way?
ctaylor
Newly Registered Member

Re:

26 May 2018 15:11

jmdirt wrote:As I've stated many times on here and elsewhere, there have been motors used in the pro tour. The only way to argue that Froome used a motor yesterday is with a UCI conspiracy. Did he change bikes in the last 100 K (or at all for that matter)? His bike was xrayed after the finish. 1) I think that there are too many people involved for a conspiracy, 2) It seems like the UCI would love to nail CF with a motor to kill two birds with one stone, 3) why would CF be the UCI golden child (all along, not just now)?

Yeah, it makes no sense. In 2010 sure, the risks of being caught with a motor were very small compared with the potential rewards.

But in 2018, for the most high profile rider in the sport. It makes no sense. And if Froome was using a motor, with consent from the UCI ( :rolleyes: ) what were Dumoulin and Pinot using to distance everyone else in the race and climb at a similar pace?
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic