Register

Motor doping thread

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

20 Nov 2017 12:47

"As an editor and reporter, I recoiled in horror after reading each besmirching comment. Yes, many of these comments reflect the brand of chatter that even we cycling journalists engage in. To print them, however, is enough to make a defamation lawyer faint. My hope is that Gaimon’s publisher, Penguin Books, has a robust legal department."
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/11/commentary/commentary-reviewing-gaimons-draft-animals-book_452041#pFrfRHKMvItL0wAq.99
Bolder

Re:

20 Nov 2017 14:40

Bolder wrote:"As an editor and reporter, I recoiled in horror after reading each besmirching comment. Yes, many of these comments reflect the brand of chatter that even we cycling journalists engage in. To print them, however, is enough to make a defamation lawyer faint. My hope is that Gaimon’s publisher, Penguin Books, has a robust legal department."
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/11/commentary/commentary-reviewing-gaimons-draft-animals-book_452041#pFrfRHKMvItL0wAq.99

Indeed

So if Cancellara doesn't sue Gaimon (and the tweeted bike ride challenge would be an odd precursor to legal action)what could be inferred from that?

Because if Cancellara didn't use a motor I can't see why he wouldn't wheel the lawyers out. Penguin would be forced to pulp the books and make a payment to close it down. Gaimon would be forced to issue an apology

But if he did use a motor...
Wiggo's Package

Re: Re:

20 Nov 2017 16:16

Wiggo's Package wrote:
Bolder wrote:"As an editor and reporter, I recoiled in horror after reading each besmirching comment. Yes, many of these comments reflect the brand of chatter that even we cycling journalists engage in. To print them, however, is enough to make a defamation lawyer faint. My hope is that Gaimon’s publisher, Penguin Books, has a robust legal department."

Indeed

So if Cancellara doesn't sue Gaimon (and the tweeted bike ride challenge would be an odd precursor to legal action)what could be inferred from that?

Because if Cancellara didn't use a motor I can't see why he wouldn't wheel the lawyers out. Penguin would be forced to pulp the books and make a payment to close it down. Gaimon would be forced to issue an apology

Depends on the wording. Alleged use of a motor.

That Canc is doing the meat head thing of challenging Gaimon to a race is pathetic.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

20 Nov 2017 19:22

Wiggo's Package wrote:

Indeed

Well one reason is that it would cost an incredible amount of money. The other would be that libel is hard to establish, jurisdiction depending. The other is that it would result in even more publicity for the claims and further damage to his reputation over time, whether he was exonerated or not.

I'm not arguing he didn't use a motor. But there are completely valid reasons why he'd not pursue legal avenues here.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

23 Nov 2017 15:03

Equipment and Fight against technological fraud Commission
President

Mr. Bob STAPLETON (USA)

Members
Harald Tiedemann Hansen (NOR)
Gilles Delion (FRA)
Dragomir Kouzov (BUL)
Philippe Mariën (BEL)
Robbert de Kock (SUI), Cycling industry representative
Riders’ representative - TBC
Teams’ representative - TBC
link
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

23 Nov 2017 15:17

fmk_RoI wrote:
Equipment and Fight against technological fraud Commission
President

Mr. Bob STAPLETON (USA)

Members
Harald Tiedemann Hansen (NOR)
Gilles Delion (FRA)
Dragomir Kouzov (BUL)
Philippe Mariën (BEL)
Robbert de Kock (SUI), Cycling industry representative
Riders’ representative - TBC
Teams’ representative - TBC
link

Stapleton?
Nothing in cycling ever changes. The filthy circus rolls on. This is so funny. Thanks for posting.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

24 Nov 2017 05:35

The journalist writes this as an editor and reporter, but not as lawyer. I have nothing to do with the legal profession myself, but my father was an attorney for forty years, so even I know that technically it isn't true. A legally unwise practice in general to make potentially libelous insinuations, but in this case the trash-talking by Gaimon is just a provocation, and to try to take the most-idolized riders down a notch. Kind of a valid point, but it's also kind of sour-grapes stuff by a domestique-type like Gaimon, who never got to be star at the world level
Probably the inference would be: that there is no legal basis, or it is so flimsy that it is not worthwhile to even file a lawsuit from overseas. Just an idle threat by Cancellara's manager who either doesn't know better or who thought he had to issue some kind of denial to signal disapproval
Very good point, why not just ignore the book? Cancellara already said the concept of him using a motor is "so stupid that he has no words" to describe it. As you said, shouldn't that be enough that the rumors would not bother Cancellara anymore? Draft Animals is currently the number-one-selling book on Amazon.com in the Cycling category, but that is not saying very much - since cycling memoirs are not a big general-interest market for books. Neither Penguin nor Gaimon will ever make big money from Draft Animals. He probably did get a larger-than-average advance on his book, and its sales rank did increase further after the Cancellara controversy appeared in the media. The hardcore cycling fans are buying a lot of copies now, but then interest will fade away, and sell sporadically in the long run
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re: Motor doping thread

26 Nov 2017 15:59

oh la la
Sagan like a bullet!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbu7DeXnWXa/
pastronef

26 Nov 2017 17:25

kingjr

Re:

27 Nov 2017 02:05

kingjr wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPX_PGojGLI

I don't speak Italian...what's the general point of this video? Thanks.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

27 Nov 2017 03:52

red_flanders wrote:
kingjr wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPX_PGojGLI

I don't speak Italian...what's the general point of this video? Thanks.

no need to listen to the sound.

the point is to compare Saronni and Sagan speeds to prove Sagan is not using a motor.
pastronef

01 Dec 2017 02:53

This cheating with motors is really getting out of hand. Now even NFL players are using them:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/video-showing-nfl-player-levitating-is-100-real-2017-11

I'm ready to give that guy at least a four game suspension right now.
Merckx index

Re:

03 Dec 2017 17:39

Merckx index wrote:This cheating with motors is really getting out of hand. Now even NFL players are using them:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/video-showing-nfl-player-levitating-is-100-real-2017-11

I'm ready to give that guy at least a four game suspension right now.

Damn, now I have to rethink everything. Is it possible that the NFL actually has anti-gravity drugs?!
Ironhead Slim

Previous

Return to The Clinic