Register

Motor doping thread

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

15 Jun 2017 13:32

'cos i seriously don't believe that motors are commonly used by any riders........let alone ALL

imagine? if 90% of the peloton had motors + 'current preparation'.........climbing times would

be completely recalibrated

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

15 Jun 2017 13:45

Lots of strawman arguments floating around but here is my guess... motors are around, but in general they're good for ~50-100 watts for ~15-30 minutes. They may be capable of 200+ watt bursts but then you'll run out of juice much quicker.

Motor use beyond that is generally frowned upon as it will make the cyclist look like a motorcyclist (or Cancellara in the 2010 Paris-Roubaix and Ronde van Vlaanderen).
DanielSong39

15 Jun 2017 13:47

The corollary is that motor use is best utilized in the time trial, where it can take you from performing at Contador/Nibali/Valverde level to smashing guys like Martin/Castroviejo/Dumoulin/Dennis.
DanielSong39

Re:

15 Jun 2017 14:15

ebandit wrote:'cos i seriously don't believe that motors are commonly used by any riders........let alone ALL

imagine? if 90% of the peloton had motors + 'current preparation'.........climbing times would

Mark L

Well if you plotted on a graph that no one actually tests positive anymore and climbing times have remained relatively the same as the EPO era, what does at tell you?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2017 17:03

thehog wrote:
ebandit wrote:'cos i seriously don't believe that motors are commonly used by any riders........let alone ALL

Mark L

Well if you plotted on a graph that no one actually tests positive anymore and climbing times have remained relatively the same as the EPO era, what does at tell you?

That the "graph" lost weight.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

15 Jun 2017 17:48

Semper Fidelis wrote:
thehog wrote:

Mark L

Pavement technology keeps improving. Today's asphalt is technically superior to anything available in the 90's.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

15 Jun 2017 18:38

ScienceIsCool wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:
thehog wrote:

Mark L

Pavement technology keeps improving. Today's asphalt is technically superior to anything available in the 90's.

John Swanson

Is it recycled pavement? That technology adds significant weight to the climbing times.
Veteran

Re: Moto-fraud: first rider caught

15 Jun 2017 19:10

Maybe they can do an "A" sample and a "B" sample for 'testing positive for motor doping.'
BullsFan22

15 Jun 2017 19:21

Semper Fidelis wrote:
thehog wrote:

Mark L

Yes, the engine was always there, they all just lost the fat.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

15 Jun 2017 19:22

ScienceIsCool wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:
thehog wrote:

Mark L

John Swanson

The pavement just needed to improve its bike handling skills.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

15 Jun 2017 22:28

thehog wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:
thehog wrote:

Mark L

John Swanson

The pavement just needed to improve its bike handling skills.

The pavement just needed to lose some weight? Low-fat asphalt?! :)
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091

15 Jun 2017 23:23

Pavement is the new "marginal Gain" not just the norm but the recycled low weight power pavement.
Veteran

Re:

16 Jun 2017 07:46

DanielSong39 wrote:The corollary is that motor use is best utilized in the time trial, where it can take you from performing at Contador/Nibali/Valverde level to smashing guys like Martin/Castroviejo/Dumoulin/Dennis.

This just makes me wonder about 2005/2006 Ivan Basso ... Don't know why he would have quit though.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

Re:

16 Jun 2017 18:21

Semper Fidelis wrote:Pavement is the new "marginal Gain" not just the norm but the recycled low weight power pavement.

Sky was the first to train on pavement.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

Re:

16 Jun 2017 20:06

Semper Fidelis wrote:Pavement is the new "marginal Gain" not just the norm but the recycled low weight power pavement.

Not to argue but just makes me recall how people argued the pavement was smoother when Armstrong went nuclear up Hautacam. Those who want to believe will find a way...
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re:

16 Jun 2017 20:08

Don't forget to mention that the pavement is pervious, which helps lower rolling resistance between the special pavement and Sky's patented rounder wheels...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

17 Jun 2017 07:17

The pavement is pervious? Ridiculous. Windy mountain was indeed caused by a special sky road construction project where a moving carpet was placed down, it looked exactly like the asphalt, but moved with Chris up the hill. Look at the video, see how he rides slightly to the left of everyone else.
User avatar Random Direction

17 Jun 2017 10:51

I'm watching yesterday's racing this morning. Route du Sud, 17.4km remaining, on-board camera shows the camera-carrier constantly stroking/pressing something with his thumb. I would suggest that the explanation is innocent (no-one would volunteer to take on a camera if they intent pressing a switch within view of said camera).

Anything to be extrapolated from that to the Froome footage?
(Those who have already decided they mistrust Froome will say it is irrelevant, anyone minded to defend him will say this is clear evidence that such behaviour is totally normal)
User avatar Armchair cyclist

17 Jun 2017 11:44

You should post the video then.
User avatar veganrob

Re:

17 Jun 2017 14:16

Random Direction wrote:The pavement is pervious? Ridiculous. Windy mountain was indeed caused by a special sky road construction project where a moving carpet was placed down, it looked exactly like the asphalt, but moved with Chris up the hill. Look at the video, see how he rides slightly to the left of everyone else.

Of course it's ridiculous, it was meant to be a joke. :rolleyes:
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic