Log in:  

Register

Sagan Clean?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Sagan Clean?

14 Nov 2017 11:16

Is Vila even a good coach? The "Live High Train Low" session shortly before Het Nieuwsblad, was that responsible? Michel Wuyts had his doubts about it (live coverage of Paris-Roubaix).

I always keep my doubts in the private sphere when there's no concrete evidxence but about Vila, there is evidence. Let's also remember that he did not dope for any other substance, it was testosteron. Mentioning the incriminated substance is important, not just whether there had been a positive test or not.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,982
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Sagan Clean?

14 Nov 2017 12:14

Echoes wrote:Is Vila even a good coach? The "Live High Train Low" session shortly before Het Nieuwsblad, was that responsible? Michel Wuyts had his doubts about it (live coverage of Paris-Roubaix).

I always keep my doubts in the private sphere when there's no concrete evidxence but about Vila, there is evidence. Let's also remember that he did not dope for any other substance, it was testosteron. Mentioning the incriminated substance is important, not just whether there had been a positive test or not.


Correction. He was only ever caught using testosterone. In the history of doping, use of this product alone would be very rare.
brownbobby
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 27 Sep 2017 07:14

Re: Sagan Clean?

14 Nov 2017 13:57

Echoes wrote:
Kokoso wrote:This isn't even an argument. Trying to prove that someone is clean because someone else probably wasn't...


Those in the PRR section know that I'm certainly not the one wishing to prove Sagan is clean. On the contrary I'm waiting for the moment the truth will be revealed if it ever comes.

But rather Durden's argument is a non-argument. It's peaking for one specific moment that is abnormal. Being consistent throughout the season if you are a top rider is the norm.



Spot on! Great champions are always good, on a high level, rarely off-form, and even then they produce decent results. You can't loose 5 minutes on a mountain in March and April, and then in June and July destroy the whole field with ease!
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Sagan Clean?

20 Nov 2017 13:46

Blanco wrote:
Echoes wrote:
Kokoso wrote:This isn't even an argument. Trying to prove that someone is clean because someone else probably wasn't...


Those in the PRR section know that I'm certainly not the one wishing to prove Sagan is clean. On the contrary I'm waiting for the moment the truth will be revealed if it ever comes.

But rather Durden's argument is a non-argument. It's peaking for one specific moment that is abnormal. Being consistent throughout the season if you are a top rider is the norm.



Spot on! Great champions are always good, on a high level, rarely off-form, and even then they produce decent results. You can't loose 5 minutes on a mountain in March and April, and then in June and July destroy the whole field with ease!

Valverde says hello, guys.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,394
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

Re: Sagan Clean?

20 Nov 2017 17:34

Kokoso wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Echoes wrote:
Kokoso wrote:This isn't even an argument. Trying to prove that someone is clean because someone else probably wasn't...


Those in the PRR section know that I'm certainly not the one wishing to prove Sagan is clean. On the contrary I'm waiting for the moment the truth will be revealed if it ever comes.

But rather Durden's argument is a non-argument. It's peaking for one specific moment that is abnormal. Being consistent throughout the season if you are a top rider is the norm.



Spot on! Great champions are always good, on a high level, rarely off-form, and even then they produce decent results. You can't loose 5 minutes on a mountain in March and April, and then in June and July destroy the whole field with ease!

Valverde says hello, guys.


And I'm exactly talking about Valverde, Sagan and others who can hold their form throughout the whole season, as a example of true champions...
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Sagan Clean?

21 Nov 2017 08:28

Kokoso wrote:Valverde says hello, guys.


It's not because peaking for a very brief period is highly suspicious that all non peakers are clean. Jalabert and Bugno are other counterexamples, though you could argue that Bugno's short career is suspicious while Sagan tiny race day count (61 days this season) contradicts even Durden's argument. Rebellin is another one. I've long stopped thinking that consistent riders were of necessity healthy guys. Don't make me say what I haven't said. However it still remains that before EPO the most complete riders were consistent, the more specialised riders were not and peaking for a specific period still is highly suspicious.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,982
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Sagan Clean?

21 Nov 2017 16:39

Echoes wrote:
Kokoso wrote:Valverde says hello, guys.

Don't make me say what I haven't said.

You"ve said: "Being consistent throughout the season if you are a top rider is the norm." So...

Anyway for cobbled specialist like Museeuw you've mentioned it's normal and understandable why they peak for just short period od year. Because there are cobbled classics just in one short period of calendar. So no, peaking for short time for cobbled specialist is not suspicious of doping.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,394
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

21 Nov 2017 18:33

But that same cobble specialist should be also good in other periods of the year. Simply if you're good, then you're good!
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Sagan Clean?

Yesterday 09:03

Well there's nothing in that quote to suggest I said consistent riders were of necessity clean, just that it is the norm. In an idealistic world where dope does not exist, you'd have the best in front on most races and the less good behind. So claiming it is abnormal, certainly when you consider the fact that Sagan has considerably dropped his race day count since his transformation: 80 days in 2015, 71 in 2016, 57 this year. :eek:

If Museeuw is not an argument, than take your Tour of France stars: Armstrong, Ullrich, Riis, Indurain... There's a significant time correlation between the advent of blood doping (EPO in particular) and "specialisation". Coincidence?
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,982
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Sagan Clean?

Yesterday 10:42

Echoes wrote:Well there's nothing in that quote to suggest I said consistent riders were of necessity clean, just that it is the norm. In an idealistic world where dope does not exist, you'd have the best in front on most races and the less good behind. So claiming it is abnormal, certainly when you consider the fact that Sagan has considerably dropped his race day count since his transformation: 80 days in 2015, 71 in 2016, 57 this year. :eek:

If Museeuw is not an argument, than take your Tour of France stars: Armstrong, Ullrich, Riis, Indurain... There's a significant time correlation between the advent of blood doping (EPO in particular) and "specialisation". Coincidence?


Wouldn't Sagan's race day count have been higher this year than last if he'd completed the tour though?
Norks74
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 20 Aug 2016 18:18

Re: Sagan Clean?

Yesterday 17:17

Echoes wrote:If Museeuw is not an argument, than take your Tour of France stars: Armstrong, Ullrich, Riis, Indurain... There's a significant time correlation between the advent of blood doping (EPO in particular) and "specialisation". Coincidence?
There's also a significant correlation with the professionalisation of the sport, the advent of the World Cup etc. Don't confuse cause and correlation, that's a kindergarden error.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,989
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Previous

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests

Back to top