Register

Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

15 Dec 2016 14:40

ColonelKidneyBeans wrote:
Glenn_Wilson wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Russia showing that it's serious about cleaning up it's image.... :rolleyes:

No doubt!

But honestly why the hate towards the Eki? Because he is a Russian? There are quite a few dopers in Cycling today at many levels.

Wasn't Ekimov the one who spat on Simeoni? I'm not sure if i remember well but he seems like a complete douche if that's the case.

Someone did and probably he was the culprit.

Maybe Berzin is a better choice? He ever spit on someone? :rolleyes:
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

15 Dec 2016 15:06

Glenn_Wilson wrote:
ColonelKidneyBeans wrote:
Glenn_Wilson wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Russia showing that it's serious about cleaning up it's image.... :rolleyes:

No doubt!

But honestly why the hate towards the Eki? Because he is a Russian? There are quite a few dopers in Cycling today at many levels.

Wasn't Ekimov the one who spat on Simeoni? I'm not sure if i remember well but he seems like a complete douche if that's the case.

Someone did and probably he was the culprit.

Maybe Berzin is a better choice? He ever spit on someone? :rolleyes:

I'm just pointing that they are very legitimate reasons to dislike Ekimov, more than "he's a Russian doper". Me i don't care about the Russian part, and i don't care that much about the doper part. But i can't stand that he acted like trash. He didn't need to go that far. And with what we know about how Katusha managed their rider the past few years, he's unlikely to have changed. Still an ***.
And no, Berzin would not be a better choice as a credible cycling federation president, but maybe he would be a bit more... insufferable?
ColonelKidneyBeans

16 Dec 2016 00:06

Poor misunderstood Russia. It's a conspiracy, everyone is after Russia. I guess until other countries have shown to be doping on an industrial sized scale by testing it is Russia maintaining it's reputation re corruption as the leaders in sports doping and they always rate highly on international corruption lists but of course that can't be right either can it ? Death threats to whistle blowers naah they just wanted to scare them. Athletes fleeing Russia in fear of their lives ? You can't be serious. Sports doctors committing suicide ? It must be depression. Mass doping in the Paralympics, Winter Olympics ? Nyet it's simply Western propaganda it's inconceivable that Russia is as bad as others make out.................
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Dec 2016 08:09

I didnt see anybody deny any of that though. It's very conceivable. They are also an autonomous country though. To see Tygart and UKAD and some others stick their noses in Russia's business whilst not guarding their own shithouse is a bit too much for some.
sniper
Veteran

Re:

16 Dec 2016 08:13

sniper wrote:I didnt see anybody deny any of that though. It's very conceivable. They are also an autonomous country though. To see Tygart and UKAD and some others stick their noses in Russia's business whilst not guarding their own shithouse is a bit too much for some.

Tygart has to justify his 'job,' which is apparently 'anti-doping,' but it looks as though he is trying out for a position in Trump's cabinet. And obviously the hypocrisy with the TUE's. This guy would make a perfect politician.
BullsFan22

16 Dec 2016 08:16

Yep, agreed.
The IOCs hypocrisy is also worth stressing.
Seppelt going after IOc and Bach is main reason why I think we should not be giving up on Seppelt just yet.
sniper
Veteran

28 Dec 2016 00:39

Thats good.
Let's hope Hajo Seppelt (and co.) will now give it a rest.
Or at the very least he should start providing some more balanced commentary. His tweets are so one-sided at the moment, as if systematic doping really only happens in Russia.
sniper
Veteran

28 Dec 2016 11:34

Oh well. RUSADA now say it was taken out of context.

"In response to the publication in The New York Times, RUSADA states that the words of acting General Director Antselovich were distorted and taken out of the context," RUSADA said in a statement provided for TASS.

"During Antselovich’s talk with journalist Rebecca Ruiz, the acting general director made a remark that in his report of December 9, 2016 Richard McLaren had given up the phrase ‘state-sponsored doping system’ and used the words ‘institutional conspiracy,’ thus excluding the involvement of the country’s top leadership," the statement said.

"Unfortunately, Rebecca Ruiz took these words out of the context, thus creating an impression that the RUSADA leadership admits to the institutional scheme of doping cover-up in Russia," the RUSADA statement said.

http://tass.com/sport/922973
User avatar gooner

Re:

01 Jan 2017 04:25

gooner wrote:Oh well. RUSADA now say it was taken out of context.

"In response to the publication in The New York Times, RUSADA states that the words of acting General Director Antselovich were distorted and taken out of the context," RUSADA said in a statement provided for TASS.

"During Antselovich’s talk with journalist Rebecca Ruiz, the acting general director made a remark that in his report of December 9, 2016 Richard McLaren had given up the phrase ‘state-sponsored doping system’ and used the words ‘institutional conspiracy,’ thus excluding the involvement of the country’s top leadership," the statement said.

"Unfortunately, Rebecca Ruiz took these words out of the context, thus creating an impression that the RUSADA leadership admits to the institutional scheme of doping cover-up in Russia," the RUSADA statement said.

http://tass.com/sport/922973

This stuff is hilarious. When you change the wording it's not an admission of guilt. Context is everything. To cheat or not to cheat that is the question.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gol

07 Jan 2017 08:38

The original article is behind a paywall but this is a good summary of McLaren's latest interview.

Reporter Cathal Kelly notes how Prof. McLaren, 71, turns his phone off as they arrive at a conference room at his London, Ontario offices and tells the G&M:

“This is just far too easy to track. In fact, I can track your phone from here. I have that equipment.”

McLaren no longer uses public Wifi and tells us all to “never, ever use your cellphone is at an airport”. He has even shifted his schedule to work in the hours when those trying to hack into his phone and elsewhere are less active.

We learn from Kelly that during the doping investigations into Russia, Prof McLaren’s

- staff were followed
- computer systems were ‘steadily attacked’
- his students at Western University of Western Ontario were approached.

McLaren was targetted. Schedules, hotels travel plans were changed at the last minute – for the whole team. The spy alert button was switched to permanent ‘on’.

He talks to Kelly of the four types of witnesses approached in the inquiry: those who refused to co-operate; those who wanted everything, questions an answers, in writing; the Skypers; and then those who wanted to speak but were frightened off. McLaren tells the Globe and Mail:

“It was a cover-up that evolved from uncontrolled chaos to an institutionalised and disciplined medal-winning conspiracy.”

http://www.swimvortex.com/doping-its-all-been-a-bit-like-a-spy-story-richard-mclaren-tells-the-globe-mail/
User avatar gooner

22 Jan 2017 00:32

Arguably the film's biggest bombshell — or rather the most significant backing up of long-suspected information — is Rodchenkov's testimony that Putin personally arranged his release from custody to go back to work and oversee a continuation of the doping programme.

'Putin requested me,' he tells Fogel, describing the move back to the head of the lab and Russia's appointed doper-in-chief as his 'redemption'. Rodchenkov says he doped 30 Russian medal winners at Beijing 2008, and at least half of Russia's 72 medal winners at London 2012 before orchestrating Russia's dirty glory on home snow and ice at Sochi 2014.

Where all of this leaves the world of anti-doping — and Russia —remains to be seen. The film will certainly add an element of evidential weight to those arguing Russia is not fit to stage the 2018 World Cup and should be kicked out of the Olympics until they prove they have cleaned up their act.

Infantino also asked Mutko to step away from football.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4143894/Putin-alleged-heart-Russia-doping-scandal.html
User avatar gooner

22 Jan 2017 17:51

Another whistleblower.

Andrey Dmitriev knows that his testimony is unlikely to go down well back home - but the Russian 1,500 metres runner is determined to speak out. "”If everyone remains silent, as is usual in Russia, nothing will change",” says Dmitriev in an ARD exclusive interview. Seeing no sign of change in the Russian athletics world, he has declared his willingness to work as a whistleblower.

Dmitriev has evidence to support his claims. Like Yuliya and Vitaly Stepanov, the first Russian whistleblowers, he shot secret video footage. Recorded on January 12, the resulting images feature Vladimir Kazarin, one of the most successful 800 meters coaches in the world - and currently suspended due to doping practices. He is seen in a sports hall in Chelyabinsk during a training session for 400 metres runner Artem Denmukhametov. "”I would not see him just letting it go. He just continues coaching",” said Dmitriev during a meeting in Kazakhstan.

"It’s imitating changes, but there are none really"

He also reports having seen Kazarin at a training camp in Kyrgyzstan in November 2016. This is the same man who previously supplied Yuliya Stepanova with banned substances, and coached 800 meters Olympic champion Mariya Savinova. The latter was later stripped of her gold medal due to doping offences. In April 2016 the Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) instructed its regional associations to cease working with Kazarin - albeit, as it seems, to no avail. Andrey Dmitriev is in no doubt: ”"You say that we are changing, but these people are still there. This is just hypocrisy for me. It’s lying. It’s imitating changes, but there are none really.”"

Dmitriev stresses that Kazarin is not the only individual still working despite earlier doping practices. He has given Germany’s ARD further names of prominent Russian coaches who ”are unable to work without doping” and who he claims are still active. Kazarin is not even the biggest name involved, claims Dmitriev. "I see the coaches who I know use doping, they are still there. And the athletes who I know for sure were doping, they still train there.”"

Vladimir Kazarin himself has not commented on the accusations made against him, likewise all other coaches and athletes named by Andrey Dmitriev. The Russian athletics federation failed to respond when contacted by ARD.

http://www.sportschau.de/doping/doping-whistleblower-englisch-100.html
User avatar gooner

06 Mar 2017 14:14

well this topic has gone awfully silent in recent days.
;)
sniper
Veteran

Re:

06 Mar 2017 14:27

sniper wrote:well this topic has gone awfully silent in recent days.
;)

I'm sure Gooner will be back to post some more updates on dirty Russians. And to tell us that you can win clean if you are Dan Martin or Bradley Wiggins.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

07 Mar 2017 07:37

thehog wrote:
sniper wrote:well this topic has gone awfully silent in recent days.
;)

I'm sure Gooner will be back to post some more updates on dirty Russians. And to tell us that you can win clean if you are Dan Martin or Bradley Wiggins.

prophetic innit
Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic