Log in:  

Register

The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 May 2018 15:36

He's still the strongest or second strongest on a flat course though
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,359
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

20 May 2018 15:38

Dropping 45 seconds to Dumoulin seems like the sweet spot. Somewhat believable given his form and solidifies his chances of winning the race.

Depends on what Dennis does, too. If Dennis smashes it and Dumoulin is a bit off of Dennis' pace then it's fair game and Yates can try to limit his losses even further or even gain time.
DanielSong39
Member
 
Posts: 1,053
Joined: 15 Jul 2016 13:03

20 May 2018 15:39

I'm usually OK with some doping since most do it (so within extremely arbitrarily chosen limits), but I'm starting to fear for Yates' health now.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,359
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

20 May 2018 15:41

DanielSong39 wrote:Dropping 45 seconds to Dumoulin seems like the sweet spot. Somewhat believable given his form and solidifies his chances of winning the race.

Depends on what Dennis does, too. If Dennis smashes it and Dumoulin is a bit off of Dennis' pace then it's fair game and Yates can try to limit his losses even further or even gain time.

I don't see Dennis smashing it given that he's also riding for GC.
User avatar Screecher
Junior Member
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 26 Mar 2017 14:45

20 May 2018 15:45

Nah, Dennis is outside the top 10 and ITT is a huge carrot. Can't imagine that he wouldn't go for the stage win here.
DanielSong39
Member
 
Posts: 1,053
Joined: 15 Jul 2016 13:03

Re:

20 May 2018 15:48

DanielSong39 wrote:Nah, Dennis is outside the top 10 and ITT is a huge carrot. Can't imagine that he wouldn't go for the stage win here.

I'm not saying he won't give it all he has, i'm saying that he's been riding hard and must be just as tired as every other GC contender. But this isn't a Rohan discussion thread, so let's end it there.
User avatar Screecher
Junior Member
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 26 Mar 2017 14:45

20 May 2018 15:50

My point was that Dennis' performance would affect Simon's strategy for the stage.
DanielSong39
Member
 
Posts: 1,053
Joined: 15 Jul 2016 13:03

20 May 2018 15:57

I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .
User avatar lartiste
Member
 
Posts: 305
Joined: 29 Jul 2016 21:47

Re:

20 May 2018 16:03

lartiste wrote:I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .


Agree all the way. One might have expected Simon Yates -- if he was 100% and in top form, and riding the best he's ever ridden -- to be a few seconds behind Pinot and Pozzovivo right now -- and that would be a big step up, at this stage of the Giro. To be dominating like he's been -- this is an improvement that is off the charts. Make you wonder what Adam will do in the TDF.
Last edited by JosephK on 20 May 2018 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar JosephK
Junior Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: 24 Jul 2016 15:49

Re: The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

20 May 2018 16:04

I don't know how clean cycling is. There are a few suspicious results here and there but even yesterday when I posted in the clinic about Froome, I was more joking than being serious as I don't want to speculate about things I don't know anything about. Hardly ever are there nowadays performances where I immediately think "this doesn't make sense, something is definitely wrong here" like Najar in this years Vuelta a San Juan. In other words I don't often really expect that someone will get caught even less that someone really famous will get caught, but this is one of these rare cases. Maybe Yates is clean and really somehow improved so much, but if it turns out that he was tested positive in a few weeks I wouldn't even be a little bit shocked. The way how he easily rode away from everyone really reminded me of Ricco and the fact that he hasn't shown anything before this season which could have made me think he has this in him makes this even more unbelievable. If Froome rides away from anyone like this I would find it suspicious despite Froome being a four time tdf champion. But Simon freakin Yates?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,751
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

20 May 2018 16:15

Scott bike, check.

Yellowish kit, check.

Hissing behaviour and a nickname to reflect this, no, not there yet.
User avatar meat puppet
Member
 
Posts: 1,973
Joined: 29 May 2011 06:57

20 May 2018 16:21

In his interview afterwards Tom literally said Yates' attack today was "not normal".
User avatar classicomano
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,548
Joined: 05 May 2011 15:13

Re:

20 May 2018 16:26

classicomano wrote:In his interview afterwards Tom literally said Yates' attack today was "not normal".


And him climbing with the best last 2-3 years with 71kg is normal?! He should keep his big mouth shut!
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,382
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

20 May 2018 16:28

Gigs_98 wrote:I don't know how clean cycling is. There are a few suspicious results here and there but even yesterday when I posted in the clinic about Froome, I was more joking than being serious as I don't want to speculate about things I don't know anything about. Hardly ever are there nowadays performances where I immediately think "this doesn't make sense, something is definitely wrong here" like Najar in this years Vuelta a San Juan. In other words I don't often really expect that someone will get caught even less that someone really famous will get caught, but this is one of these rare cases. Maybe Yates is clean and really somehow improved so much, but if it turns out that he was tested positive in a few weeks I wouldn't even be a little bit shocked. The way how he easily rode away from everyone really reminded me of Ricco and the fact that he hasn't shown anything before this season which could have made me think he has this in him makes this even more unbelievable. If Froome rides away from anyone like this I would find it suspicious despite Froome being a four time tdf champion. But Simon freakin Yates?


Have one more argument to support the case - Roman Kreuziger who I like was not flying like this in spring classics since 2013, at first I was thinking, that he is fighting for new contract, now it seems clear, that it is not the case.

Always I see Yates attacks in Giro, it reminds me strongly Saunier Duval. What a shame.
User avatar lartiste
Member
 
Posts: 305
Joined: 29 Jul 2016 21:47

Re: Re:

20 May 2018 16:32

Blanco wrote:
classicomano wrote:In his interview afterwards Tom literally said Yates' attack today was "not normal".


And him climbing with the best last 2-3 years with 71kg is normal?! He should keep his big mouth shut!

I'll let him know that.
User avatar classicomano
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,548
Joined: 05 May 2011 15:13

Re:

20 May 2018 17:06

classicomano wrote:In his interview afterwards Tom literally said Yates' attack today was "not normal".


Thats just a typical dutch way of saying and by no means was meant in anyway you suggest now.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,506
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

Re:

20 May 2018 17:49

lartiste wrote:I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .


Don't know if this doctor is still with the team. He was in 2016 pictured here with our hero at his first win in a GT, Vuelta:

Image

His name is Manuel Rodriguez Alonso, former jobs: doctor for the Spanish Olympic committee from 1996 to 2004, and Team Doctor at ONCE (2000), Mapei (2001, 2002) and Quick Step (2003 and 2004).

Also to be noted, terbutaline for which Yates was busted, needs a TUE. This means you can basically take as much as you want orally. There is no reason to think Yates is riding this stratospheric Giro without a TUE.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,562
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

20 May 2018 17:54

You normally get an idea of a rider's level in their fifth year - Dumoulin won the Giro in his sixth year and showed GC prowess from year 4 - Yates finished top 10 in the Vuelta in year 3 and in the TDF in his fourth year - So the progression of both riders is following a linear path - In saying that Dumoulin's performance in the 2017 Giro was somewhat surprising, and S.Yates performance is a bit more surprising - I worry when a rider who has shown nothing on GC suddenly pops up and wins a GT, or if a riders performance jumps out of the ground after 8 or 9 years.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,494
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

20 May 2018 18:10

yaco wrote:You normally get an idea of a rider's level in their fifth year - Dumoulin won the Giro in his sixth year and showed GC prowess from year 4 - Yates finished top 10 in the Vuelta in year 3 and in the TDF in his fourth year - So the progression of both riders is following a linear path - In saying that Dumoulin's performance in the 2017 Giro was somewhat surprising, and S.Yates performance is a bit more surprising - I worry when a rider who has shown nothing on GC suddenly pops up and wins a GT, or if a riders performance jumps out of the ground after 8 or 9 years.

Nah, don't buy that at all. Yates has gone from top 10 material, no more no less, to dominating a GT in extreme style in 12 months. If he were to podium - fine. Even if he won, it would be extremely surprising, but ok. But this isn't winning, this is destroying. It's not linear at all. Dumoulin was leading the vuelta until the final stage - from there, it was clear that he had the ability, if he lost some weight and prepared for it better, to win a gt. Last year, with some tt miles thrown in, he won. Not by that much, but he won; he was a favourite in the lead up to it, though. Yates hasn't shown this ability, ever. Imagine if Formolo did this. Or Woods. Or Meintjes. Or Jungels. Even if barguil did this it would be astounding. It's weirder when you put into context of riders he was similar to last year, no? Let's not pretend, this is utterly astonishing.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,359
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

20 May 2018 18:49

The last week will tell the tale I think. Really suspicious so far, but if the form keeps, heads shold be scratching.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk
Member
 
Posts: 757
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Back to top