Register

More riders complain about wattages set at tempo (by Sky)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

23 Mar 2017 11:41

So exactly what you asked for suddenly isn't evidence?

User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

Re:

23 Mar 2017 11:43

carolina wrote:But they can maintain the sky tempo, they just can't attack. So... they're basically saying that they can ride at exactly the same pace as sky...

Using the term 'tempo' seems a bit misleading for this thread. 'On the rivet' was the common term for this style of riding, back in the day. Maybe it needs to come back? So instead of saying 'Team Sky rode a hard tempo that no one could attack' we could say 'Team Sky put everyone on the rivet'. In my opinion 'tempo climbing' means a steady pace that the majority of climbers can follow, the best can attack from. Saying easy or hard tempo is subjective. Putting everyone 'on the rivet' however, immediately conjures up images of riders getting spit out the back, barely hanging on and unable to attack.
User avatar King Of Molehill

23 Mar 2017 11:55

King Of Molehill wrote:
carolina wrote:But they can maintain the sky tempo, they just can't attack. So... they're basically saying that they can ride at exactly the same pace as sky...

Using the term 'tempo' seems a bit misleading for this thread. 'On the rivet' was the common term for this style of riding, back in the day. Maybe it needs to come back? So instead of saying 'Team Sky rode a hard tempo that no one could attack' we could say 'Team Sky put everyone on the rivet'. In my opinion 'tempo climbing' means a steady pace that the majority of climbers can follow, the best can attack from. Saying easy or hard tempo is subjective. Putting everyone 'on the rivet' however, immediately conjures up images of riders getting spit out the back, barely hanging on and unable to attack.

That's so true! When Postal were doing this on the climbs the word tempo wasn't really being used but I do remember 'On the rivet' and 'infernal pace' used quite often.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

23 Mar 2017 14:31

On-the-rivet is a great term, I use it a lot, but 'tempo' is probably more accurate for this thread.
On-the-rivet is the same as eyeballs-out and biting-the-handlebars. I started cycling on a bike with the old riveted saddle. On-the-rivet meant the sliding forward on the saddle we do when we're eyeballs-out...you would slide onto the saddle rivet.
Skygollum tempo riding isn't eyeballs-out though. Riders can attack out of it, it's just that they very quickly hit the wall and come back to the group.
Dan2016

23 Mar 2017 14:37

Semper Fidelis wrote:
What would your threshold be? How many quotes would you need in order to believe it?

Best to set your criteria innit.

Always best to set the criteria.

Anyone want to wager on the over under?

Yeah, can't see any criteria being offered any time soon...it would ruin all his fun of quotes being offered and then changing the goalposts. :)
Dan2016

23 Mar 2017 14:45

Dan2016 wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:
What would your threshold be? How many quotes would you need in order to believe it?

Best to set your criteria innit.

Always best to set the criteria.

Anyone want to wager on the over under?

Yeah, can't see any criteria being offered any time soon...it would ruin all his fun of quotes being offered and then changing the goalposts. :)

Only people moving goalposts are bots and fanboys.

:)
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

23 Mar 2017 21:12

The thing is, Froome then DOES attack over the top of this pace, which is set by Sky domestiques but can only held by other teams leaders.

When other contenders are struggling just to keep up with the pace set by 3-4 riders from one team, that must ring alarm bells for you?
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

23 Mar 2017 21:35

I'm not arguing that they are not doping, I'm not that stupid. I just think it's not a great argument.
carolina

23 Mar 2017 21:37

42x16ss wrote:

The thing is, Froome then DOES attack over the top of this pace, which is set by Sky domestiques but can only held by other teams leaders.

When other contenders are struggling just to keep up with the pace set by 3-4 riders from one team, that must ring alarm bells for you?

Remember though, Froome knows how to pedal...and he's lost all the inner fat...
Dan2016

25 Mar 2017 12:33

After Volta Catalunya, Movistar also joins the brigade of fast tempo
IndianCyclist

Re: More riders complain about wattages set at tempo (by Sky

27 Aug 2017 09:09

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Vincenzo Nibali: "My watts are higher than ever. We start the climbs so fast and then, they accelerate." (via @Gazzetta_it ) #LV2017
User avatar thehog
Veteran

27 Aug 2017 09:53

thehog wrote::confused: :confused: :confused:

Vincenzo Nibali: "My watts are higher than ever. We start the climbs so fast and then, they accelerate." (via @Gazzetta_it ) #LV2017

Riders starting to get p!$$ed that they're (Sky) getting too greedy and want it all?
User avatar MartinGT

27 Aug 2017 13:04

MartinGT wrote:

Riders starting to get p!$$ed that they're (Sky) getting too greedy and want it all?

And probably getting really pissed off when it's riders like Moscan who are setting the absurdly high tempos.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

27 Aug 2017 13:43

MartinGT wrote:

they might hammer it at the start of the climbs but froome is at the back, if riders are stupid enough to go early then that's their fault
rick james

27 Aug 2017 13:52

rick james wrote:
MartinGT wrote:

they might hammer it at the start of the climbs but froome is at the back, if riders are stupid enough to go early then that's their fault

Dissing Nibali and your racing WT experience is what exactly?
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

28 Aug 2017 01:00

Can't make that **** up.
The troubling aspect of Sky is that "everyone" in that team shows up for Froome at ridiculous sharp shape and power- all setting up 400 +watts average tempo going uphill and then Froomie ramps it up spinning 6.5W per Kilo to smash them up, when everyone have tired by just "following" Tempo.....

When Folks here say Froome is fading- I believe is the other riders & teams playing catch up!!
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

28 Aug 2017 01:28

rick james wrote:
MartinGT wrote:

Who has been going early? Nobody. Why? Because they f$&king can't, that's why and you know it.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

28 Aug 2017 01:31

Dan2016 wrote:On-the-rivet is a great term, I use it a lot, but 'tempo' is probably more accurate for this thread.
On-the-rivet is the same as eyeballs-out and biting-the-handlebars. I started cycling on a bike with the old riveted saddle. On-the-rivet meant the sliding forward on the saddle we do when we're eyeballs-out...you would slide onto the saddle rivet.
Skygollum tempo riding isn't eyeballs-out though. Riders can attack out of it, it's just that they very quickly hit the wall and come back to the group.

So, basically, they can't attack out of it...
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

28 Aug 2017 23:45

hfer07 wrote:

Can't make that **** up.
The troubling aspect of Sky is that "everyone" in that team shows up for Froome at ridiculous sharp shape and power- all setting up 400 +watts average tempo going uphill and then Froomie ramps it up spinning 6.5W per Kilo to smash them up, when everyone have tired by just "following" Tempo.....

When Folks here say Froome is fading- I believe is the other riders & teams playing catch up!!

Troubling - what a euphemism. It has become utterly flagrant - it's a farce! I reckon Brailsford knows that he's untouchable and since his and Sky's reputation has been tainted now, there's no need to pay more than lipservice to 'normal', they are no longer the least bit bothered at upping their game.
Electress

30 Aug 2017 18:09

Good work Sky. They broke cycling :surprised:

Peter Stetina: Permanently upgrading to 54t chainring. Modern cycling requires this to even keep up with Vuelta peloton on flat roads #fast #wattsfordays
User avatar thehog
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic