Register

Fancy Bears hack ADAMS system

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

15 Feb 2017 15:21

BullsFan22 wrote:
Irondan wrote:I'm aware that FB are Russian hackers, my concern over believing an RT story that (of course) shows the USA's biggest Olympic stars dirty laundry is that it's not the typical fashion in which FB has operated up till this point. Fancy Bears has released everything to date via their website along with Twitter, which gives them full credit, but this new information has been released through a known Russian government subsidised/controlled news organization as a "leak".

It's not that I don't believe the subject matter, it's that I don't trust the messenger. I've read numerous articles and watched telecasts in the past in utter shock at how anti-American the twist to their stories are.

At the moment I write this, almost 24 hours after I initially saw this story posted it has still not been picked up by the MSM, or anyone else except for the Russians that I've found. To me, that's telling.

RT is to the Russian government as the BBC is to Great Britain's government, as ARD is to the German government, as CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and even FOX are to the US government. No mainstream media is going to go all out on its own government and expose them. Has any mainstream US media outlet gone....at all...at the exposed US Olympians named in the leaks? When they were named, they had Travis Tygart and others coming on to quickly defend the 'system' and lambasted the Russians for leaking private information. There was little to no criticism directed towards the athletes or the methods. Now they won't even bother.

RT is most certainly backed, started and funded solely or in part by the Russian Government, which if you took a second to check you would have found that. Instead you gave me an opinion that sounded very condescending to me, by the way. I'm well aware of the way the news works, thanks though. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/06/13/in-case-you-werent-clear-on-russia-todays-relationship-to-moscow-putin-clears-it-up/?utm_term=.db0c0f232ade

https://www.rt.com/usa/rt-government-broadcasting-radio/

I never said the US mainstream media isn't picking up this story, I said the MSM. That's EVERYONE except for the Russian government backed news organisation RT news.

Fancy bears released the documents that they hacked as irrefutable proof about what they claimed, now RT news is "leaking" an anti American story, based on the leak coming from Fancy Bears. Where's the documents to back it up? Why didn't Fancy Bears publish this "leak" themselves? If true, it's a huge story, but there has to be more corroboration than the Russian Governments news proxy publishing a "leaked" a story with no documents to back it up.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Feb 2017 16:14

Irondan wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:
Irondan wrote:I'm aware that FB are Russian hackers, my concern over believing an RT story that (of course) shows the USA's biggest Olympic stars dirty laundry is that it's not the typical fashion in which FB has operated up till this point. Fancy Bears has released everything to date via their website along with Twitter, which gives them full credit, but this new information has been released through a known Russian government subsidised/controlled news organization as a "leak".

It's not that I don't believe the subject matter, it's that I don't trust the messenger. I've read numerous articles and watched telecasts in the past in utter shock at how anti-American the twist to their stories are.

At the moment I write this, almost 24 hours after I initially saw this story posted it has still not been picked up by the MSM, or anyone else except for the Russians that I've found. To me, that's telling.

RT is to the Russian government as the BBC is to Great Britain's government, as ARD is to the German government, as CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and even FOX are to the US government. No mainstream media is going to go all out on its own government and expose them. Has any mainstream US media outlet gone....at all...at the exposed US Olympians named in the leaks? When they were named, they had Travis Tygart and others coming on to quickly defend the 'system' and lambasted the Russians for leaking private information. There was little to no criticism directed towards the athletes or the methods. Now they won't even bother.

RT is most certainly backed, started and funded solely or in part by the Russian Government, which if you took a second to check you would have found that. Instead you gave me an opinion that sounded very condescending to me, by the way. I'm well aware of the way the news works, thanks though. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/06/13/in-case-you-werent-clear-on-russia-todays-relationship-to-moscow-putin-clears-it-up/?utm_term=.db0c0f232ade

I never said the US mainstream media isn't picking up this story, I said the MSM. That's EVERYONE except for the Russian government backed news organisation RT news.

Fancy bears released the documents that they hacked as irrefutable proof about what they claimed, now RT news is "leaking" an anti American story, based on the leak coming from Fancy Bears. Where's the documents to back it up? Why didn't Fancy Bears publish this "leak" themselves? If true, it's a huge story, but there has to be more corroboration than the Russian Governments news proxy publishing a "leaked" a story with no documents to back it up.

Sorry that you thought I wrote a condescending comment. How exactly is it 'anti-American' though? Because they are zeroing in on American athletes? The US media has zeroed in on Russian athletes for the past two or three years. And if anyone says that the Americans are doping, they are all quickly reminded that 'it's not the same thing, because the Russian government dopes its athletes...therefore...not comparable.' What the TUE leaks exposed is the ridiculous ease at which a lot of these top American athletes get their 'legal doping.' Serena Williams is sick, injured, and then all of a sudden wins a tournament, and we find out she's on a dozen meds. If you are sick or injured, why not just stay at home and recover? The doctors are prescribing banned PED's to these athletes and they are reaping the benefits.

If this was an American leaking information about the Russians, most wouldn't question it.
BullsFan22

15 Feb 2017 16:16

Irondan wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

And I didn't question who funds RT. I am well aware of who funds them and what sort of content they have.
BullsFan22

15 Feb 2017 16:20

BullsFan22 wrote:RT is to the Russian government as the BBC is to Great Britain's government, as ARD is to the German government, as CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and even FOX are to the US government. No mainstream media is going to go all out on its own government and expose them. Has any mainstream US media outlet gone....at all...at the exposed US Olympians named in the leaks? When they were named, they had Travis Tygart and others coming on to quickly defend the 'system' and lambasted the Russians for leaking private information. There was little to no criticism directed towards the athletes or the methods. Now they won't even bother.

The U.S. government has spent $5.4 million during the past two years to finance a children’s television show about postal inspectors – and it could spend millions more over the next two years. Currently filming its second season in Charleston, SC, CBS’ The Inspectors is the only show on commercial television that’s paid for by a governmental agency.
Government funding of TV shows is nothing new; the federal government has been underwriting public television for decades. But the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which underwrites NPR and American Public Television, has an independent Office of Inspector General to promote accountability and makes biennial reports to Congress about its activities.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-inspectors-government-spends-millions-to-fund-cbs-kids-show-1201803819/
djpbaltimore

16 Feb 2017 08:10

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-struggling-over-legality-of-naming-operacion-puerto-athletes/
I guess RM, FCB, Nadal etc. are the reason of WADA hesitation...
Fancy Bears, you know what to do :)
glassmoon

Re:

16 Feb 2017 18:42

glassmoon wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-struggling-over-legality-of-naming-operacion-puerto-athletes/

WADA already said last season that it was X number of cyclists and Y number of track&field guys. No one else.
User avatar GuyIncognito

16 Feb 2017 18:53

Why would WADA be struggling to decide what to do with the information - It's private medical information and one in which the Statues of Information have passed - Gotta wonder why we fund WADA.
yaco

17 Feb 2017 06:26

BullsFan22 wrote:Sorry that you thought I wrote a condescending comment. How exactly is it 'anti-American' though? Because they are zeroing in on American athletes? The US media has zeroed in on Russian athletes for the past two or three years. And if anyone says that the Americans are doping, they are all quickly reminded that 'it's not the same thing, because the Russian government dopes its athletes...therefore...not comparable.' What the TUE leaks exposed is the ridiculous ease at which a lot of these top American athletes get their 'legal doping.' Serena Williams is sick, injured, and then all of a sudden wins a tournament, and we find out she's on a dozen meds. If you are sick or injured, why not just stay at home and recover? The doctors are prescribing banned PED's to these athletes and they are reaping the benefits.

If this was an American leaking information about the Russians, most wouldn't question it.

I'd go a step further and call it plain denial. We know the USOC used to help athletes never test positive. We know USATF and USAC have a history of never tested athletes positive. Nike has some kind of remarkable rouge's gallery of dopers, repentant dopers. Everywhere you look there's corruption in IOC sport.

Also remember the other thing that didn't get much news, French police have evidence of an IAAF "associate" emailing Russian IAAF officials basically saying "If you don't pay my representatives and then there will be many positive.It seems like Russian officials didn't pay enough.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

17 Feb 2017 09:01

GuyIncognito wrote:
glassmoon wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-struggling-over-legality-of-naming-operacion-puerto-athletes/

WADA already said last season that it was X number of cyclists and Y number of track&field guys. No one else.

oh. i bet they did... imagine they would've said xy number of pro football players from RM/FCB or certain high profile spanish tennis player. :rolleyes:
glassmoon

Re: Fancy Bears hack ADAMS system

23 May 2017 14:53

Yes, another review to add to the 326 other ongoing reviews :lol:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/39654790

British Cycling has announced an independent review into its medical practices after it was criticised as part of an anti-doping investigation.

Last month MPs heard a doctor who received a 'mystery package' for Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2011 had no record of his medical treatment at the time.

British Cycling has now asked the English Institute for Sport's director of medical services, Dr Rod Jaques, to conduct a review.

He is expected to report in June.

Dr Jacques has already started work and will examine the medical and physiotherapy teams' practices. He will carry out confidential interviews with staff and look at resources, management and record-keeping.

"We've commissioned an external expert to scrutinise our existing processes and procedures and to make a series of recommendations on how we can improve," said British Cycling's people director, Michael Chivers.

Both the national governing body and road racing off-shoot Team Sky were heavily criticised for lax record-keeping at a Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee hearing in its inquiry entitled 'Combatting doping in sport'.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

21 Jul 2017 04:23

Microsoft are no fun... :rolleyes:

Last year attorneys for the software maker quietly sued the hacker group known as Fancy Bear in a federal court outside Washington DC, accusing it of computer intrusion, cybersquatting, and infringing on Microsoft’s trademarks. The action, though, is not about dragging the hackers into court. The lawsuit is a tool for Microsoft to target what it calls “the most vulnerable point” in Fancy Bear’s espionage operations: the command-and-control servers the hackers use to covertly direct malware on victim computers. These servers can be thought of as the spymasters in Russia’s cyber espionage, waiting patiently for contact from their malware agents in the field, then issuing encrypted instructions and accepting stolen documents.

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each. Once under Microsoft’s control, the domains get redirected from Russia’s servers to the company’s, cutting off the hackers from their victims, and giving Microsoft a omniscient view of that servers’ network of automated spies.

“In other words,” Microsoft outside counsel Sten Jenson explained in a court filing last year, “any time an infected computer attempts to contact a command-and-control server through one of the domains, it will instead be connected to a Microsoft-controlled, secure server.”

Historically, Fancy Bear has mostly targeted Windows with its malware, and has leaned heavily on Microsoft products when choosing domain names—thus giving Microsoft standing in the lawsuit. On Friday, after months of litigation and thousands of pages of filings, a judge in Alexandria, Virginia is scheduled to hear Microsoft’s motion for a final default judgment and permanent injunction against Fancy Bear.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/microsoft-pushes-to-take-over-russian-spies-network?via=twitter_page
User avatar thehog
Veteran

21 Jul 2017 08:24

....no-one appreciates malware...............

..so fancybears was less about cleaning up sport.......more about making $

..with that resume they could be part of the olympic family

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

21 Jul 2017 12:38

thehog wrote:Microsoft are no fun... :rolleyes:

Last year attorneys for the software maker quietly sued the hacker group known as Fancy Bear in a federal court outside Washington DC, accusing it of computer intrusion, cybersquatting, and infringing on Microsoft’s trademarks. The action, though, is not about dragging the hackers into court. The lawsuit is a tool for Microsoft to target what it calls “the most vulnerable point” in Fancy Bear’s espionage operations: the command-and-control servers the hackers use to covertly direct malware on victim computers. These servers can be thought of as the spymasters in Russia’s cyber espionage, waiting patiently for contact from their malware agents in the field, then issuing encrypted instructions and accepting stolen documents.

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each. Once under Microsoft’s control, the domains get redirected from Russia’s servers to the company’s, cutting off the hackers from their victims, and giving Microsoft a omniscient view of that servers’ network of automated spies.

“In other words,” Microsoft outside counsel Sten Jenson explained in a court filing last year, “any time an infected computer attempts to contact a command-and-control server through one of the domains, it will instead be connected to a Microsoft-controlled, secure server.”

Historically, Fancy Bear has mostly targeted Windows with its malware, and has leaned heavily on Microsoft products when choosing domain names—thus giving Microsoft standing in the lawsuit. On Friday, after months of litigation and thousands of pages of filings, a judge in Alexandria, Virginia is scheduled to hear Microsoft’s motion for a final default judgment and permanent injunction against Fancy Bear.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/microsoft-pushes-to-take-over-russian-spies-network?via=twitter_page

Somehow this will come back to bite Microsoft in the ***, as it usually does when they try to "fix" things...

Only next time the ire of Fancy Bears will be directed at Microsoft and their upper echelon employees. :rolleyes:
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

21 Jul 2017 12:48

Yep.
User avatar veganrob

Re:

21 Jul 2017 13:03

ebandit wrote:....no-one appreciates malware...............

Mark L

How did Fancy bears make money?
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

21 Jul 2017 14:01

Benotti69 wrote:

Mark L

I was wondering the same thing....
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

21 Jul 2017 14:19

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each.

The description of the lawsuit sounds laughable: Microsoft has taken back 70 domain names which contain 'microsoft' or 'hotmail', by claiming trademark infringement?
And 70 domains x $10 each to create = deprive Fancy Bears of $700 worth of domain registrations ?

Kind of like the recording industry suing kids for illegal downloads of .mp3 ... utterly ineffectual, and backfires by not grasping the scale of the problem
ClassicomanoLuigi

21 Jul 2017 14:52

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each.

The description of the lawsuit sounds laughable: Microsoft has taken back 70 domain names which contain 'microsoft' or 'hotmail', by claiming trademark infringement?
And 70 domains x $10 each to create = deprive Fancy Bears of $700 worth of domain registrations ?

Kind of like the recording industry suing kids for illegal downloads of .mp3 ... utterly ineffectual, and backfires by not grasping the scale of the problem

Obviously there's more to it than just taking back domain names. Taking back these names render the "command and control" servers useless which they used to automatically ping victims with malware. Did you not read the article? It goes into even more detail in the story but if all you got was a comparison to the record industry suing kids then you missed something...
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

22 Jul 2017 00:17

Obviously there's more to it than just taking back domain names. Taking back these names render the "command and control" servers useless which they used to automatically ping victims with malware.
Yes, the purpose is not primarily related to trademark infringement. Thank you for mentioning this, IronDan.
Did you not read the article? It goes into even more detail in the story but if all you got was a comparison to the record industry suing kids then you missed something...

I did read the article, and re-read it now. Botnets can be on the scale of hundreds of thousands of servers, and millions of computers, phones, and internet-of-things devices. Therefore removing seventy servers from the picture, only to have other domains re-registered elsewhere, would seem 'ineffectual'. That's all the observation was about
ClassicomanoLuigi

28 Jul 2017 22:14

Irondan wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:

Mark L

I was wondering the same thing....

Fancy Bears code will be targeting conventional computers and mobile devices like yours and mine. Apart from targeting aerospace, defense, energy, government, media etc for payment, Fancy Bears also earn money via credential harvesting your personal and other data and selling it on to criminals for all sorts of uses.
samhocking

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic