Register

Fancy Bears hack ADAMS system

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

28 Jul 2017 22:17

samhocking wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
ebandit wrote:....no-one appreciates malware...............

..so fancybears was less about cleaning up sport.......more about making $

..with that resume they could be part of the olympic family

Mark L

How did Fancy bears make money?

I was wondering the same thing....

Fancy Bears code will be targeting conventional computers and mobile devices like yours and mine. Apart from targeting aerospace, defense, energy, government, media etc for payment, Fancy Bears also earn money via credential harvesting your personal and other data by selling it onto to criminals for all sorts of uses.

As the fanboys always say, " you got proof of them doing this?"

Let us see it.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

28 Jul 2017 22:32

Fancy Bears have been operating since 2008. Read up about Sofacy and APT 28 which is who they're more commonly known by. Also read up about XAgent Malware which is their baby. No evidence needed, they are already very well known.

XAgent basically Steals Passwords and Backups. Previously been used to infiltrate Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux devices too and now iPhone etc.
samhocking

Re: Fancy Bears hack ADAMS system

28 Jul 2017 23:11

But I thought they were financed by the Kremlin?
BullsFan22

29 Jul 2017 10:10

Fancy Bears is not a rigid group of people sat in front of computers hacking WADA. Fancy Bears is simply a name derived from the coding system used to identify their code hacking computers. In Fancy Bears case they are most likely linked back to the Russian military intelligence agency, but same hackers could be linked back to anyone paying them or simply a group holding hacked people to ransom or auctioning their hacked data and services on the dark web.

More loosely, Fancy Bears are known under many names. Tsar Team is a recent one where they hacked plastic surgeries, stole the before and after photographs of patients (famous ones mostly), then demanded a ransom directly to the patient in order to not publish the picture on the internet. They also demanded £300K penalty fee from the plastic surgery for having poor security and if that wasn't paid they will upload all photographs to the Dark Web and auction the photos to make the money instead. It's simply selling illegal data and ransom be it Russian Governemnt paying you to do it or using the Dark Web to sell it themselves. They're not doing this for free, what would be the point, they could be earning hundreds of thousands a year working legally for cycber security firms instead most of them.
samhocking

Re:

29 Jul 2017 12:14

samhocking wrote:Fancy Bears have been operating since 2008. Read up about Sofacy and APT 28 which is who they're more commonly known by. Also read up about XAgent Malware which is their baby. No evidence needed, they are already very well known.

XAgent basically Steals Passwords and Backups. Previously been used to infiltrate Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux devices too and now iPhone etc.

Just like cycling and doping;

No evidence needed, they are already very well known. :D
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

29 Jul 2017 16:30

...instead of childish baiting why not introduce evidence that the fancybears group did not

make $s out of their malware/ hacking activities...

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

10 Aug 2017 18:43

Does not matter to me if Fancy Bears reveals the truth or not until they reveal stuff on Russian athletes or cyclists I don't care. Seems obvious to me Fancybears exists to act as as diversion from Russian doping. Look over there!
Cookster15

Re:

10 Aug 2017 21:20

Cookster15 wrote:Does not matter to me if Fancy Bears reveals the truth or not until they reveal stuff on Russian athletes or cyclists I don't care. Seems obvious to me Fancybears exists to act as as diversion from Russian doping. Look over there!

And rightly so because "over there" is where everyone should be digging
User avatar Eyeballs Out

10 Aug 2017 22:02

Eyeballs Out wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:Does not matter to me if Fancy Bears reveals the truth or not until they reveal stuff on Russian athletes or cyclists I don't care. Seems obvious to me Fancybears exists to act as as diversion from Russian doping. Look over there!

Quite right. The same Fancy Bears exposed Hillary Clinton's e-mails - asking us to look "over there". No-one else was looking, but thank god that exposed her evils. Imagine if that hadn't happened. Unthinkable.
Parker

11 Aug 2017 14:08

Parker wrote:
Eyeballs Out wrote:

Quite right. The same Fancy Bears exposed Hillary Clinton's e-mails - asking us to look "over there". No-one else was looking, but thank god that exposed her evils. Imagine if that hadn't happened. Unthinkable.

I would still like to see any proof of that, I dont buy anything CIA says without proof, the are no worse or better than the FSB
topt

11 Aug 2017 15:14

topt wrote:
Parker wrote:
Eyeballs Out wrote:

I would still like to see any proof of that, I dont buy anything CIA says without proof, the are no worse or better than the FSB

Here you go: http://time.com/4600177/election-hack-russia-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/
Parker

12 Aug 2017 00:37

Parker wrote:
topt wrote:
Parker wrote:
Eyeballs Out wrote:

Here you go: http://time.com/4600177/election-hack-russia-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

got anything new; crowdstrike owner is a member of NATO pr firm atlantic council; no coincidence what so ever
topt

12 Aug 2017 06:07

Parker wrote:
topt wrote:
Parker wrote:
Eyeballs Out wrote:

TIME magazine has been a front for the CIA since the 1940's when it was owned by Henry Luce. Try again!

Of interest was the booing of Gatlin in London and whether the US takes action? This sort of thing gets discussed by the CIA. For example, I have a suspicion that Travis Tygart was under pressure to ping Armstrong for political reasons. In so much as nearly every athlete Tygart had caught hitherto was of a certain ethnicity. Armstrong balanced the books in that regard. As I say, this is the sort of thing that gets discussed in the corridors of American power.
buckle

Re:

12 Aug 2017 20:30

I'd say it exists because Putin got the hump that his athletes were the only ones exposed and sent the executive order through to expose everyone possible. It wouldn't be a diversion because everyone knows the Russians are doping already its more a tactic to expose the hypocrisy or to get information which if exposed would discredit athletics big time if leaked to press. That information would fast track Russia back in.
I do think the ban on Russia was probably right once the information was out there but wouldn't like to be the decision makers with an angry Putin holding a grudge.
noddy69

13 Aug 2017 00:39

buckle wrote:
TIME magazine has been a front for the CIA since the 1940's when it was owned by Henry Luce. Try again!

Of interest was the booing of Gatlin in London and whether the US takes action? This sort of thing gets discussed by the CIA. For example, I have a suspicion that Travis Tygart was under pressure to ping Armstrong for political reasons. In so much as nearly every athlete Tygart had caught hitherto was of a certain ethnicity. Armstrong balanced the books in that regard. As I say, this is the sort of thing that gets discussed in the corridors of American power.

This is how Trump and Brexit happen
Parker

11 Jan 2018 19:54

Russian Hackers Release Stolen Emails in New Effort to Undermine Doping Investigators
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/sports/olympics/russian-hackers-emails-doping.html

Made the first page of the New York Times sports section, wow !

ClassicomanoLuigi

11 Jan 2018 21:04

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:Russian Hackers Release Stolen Emails in New Effort to Undermine Doping Investigators
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/sports/olympics/russian-hackers-emails-doping.html

Made the first page of the New York Times sports section, wow !

Typical NYT "new effort to undermine doping investigators." LOL. Because McLaren, Reedie, Oswald, and Schmid are there to 'investigate' and 'keep sport clean and fair.'

NYT, the same newspaper (Judith Miller) that was in bed with the Bush administration and pushed for the Iraq War which killed well over one million innocent people, drove millions others from their homes/country, helped to further destabilize the region, make way for new terrorist groups, ensure oligarchs get their money and pave way for American troops (for oil)??

No thank you.
BullsFan22

11 Jan 2018 21:28

BullsFan22 wrote:
ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:Russian Hackers Release Stolen Emails in New Effort to Undermine Doping Investigators

Typical NYT "new effort to undermine doping investigators." LOL. Because McLaren, Reedie, Oswald, and Schmid are there to 'investigate' and 'keep sport clean and fair.'
No thank you.

Looking into the content of the email files, there doesn't seem to be a lot of new information exposed this time. Something about an "Anglo-Saxon conspiracy" to get Russia kicked out of competitions, and Fancy Bears draw some connections between WADA internal emails. Maybe there is more to come. There must be a summary somewhere already, not to read all this email
ClassicomanoLuigi

11 Jan 2018 22:19

Some antidoping officials said that while the hackers might have intended to embarrass or expose them, the information only underscored their efforts to disentangle the jobs of sports officials — who are tasked with promoting competitions and making them profitable — from the work of drug-testing officials working to root out cheating that damages the brand image of those competitions.

“If anything it shows what we’ve said since Day 1 of our existence: You can’t both promote and police,” Travis T. Tygart, the chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, said Wednesday. “You have to have independent organizations handling antidoping operations.”
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to The Clinic