Register

British Sporting Administrators - what's the deal?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: British Sporting Administrators - what's the deal?

01 Mar 2017 17:44

thehog wrote:So, what's the deal? From Cookson, to Coe to Reedie, all finished by U.K. Sport to become chocolate teapots and in some cases cover up corruption.

What's the deal?

Another good day for British sporting administrators... they sure are good at this job :eek:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

05 Mar 2017 17:59

I'm told by the UCI that due to Brian Cookson's busy travel schedule he may not be available for interview until April.

:lol: :rolleyes: :surprised:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

05 Mar 2017 18:17

I'm sure he is very busy stocking his bunker hoping this all blows over.
User avatar veganrob

05 Mar 2017 19:27

thehog wrote:
I'm told by the UCI that due to Brian Cookson's busy travel schedule he may not be available for interview until April.

Surprise surprise St David Millar also in middle east avoiding the storm in the UK.

These anti-doping heroes are in such demand!!!!

:lol:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

05 Mar 2017 19:34

Benotti69 wrote:
thehog wrote:

Surprise surprise St David Millar also in middle east avoiding the storm in the UK.

These anti-doping heroes are in such demand!!!!

:lol:

Someone who weathered the storm was Liz Nichols, and fair play to her for providing this precious bit of stand up comedy when Dan Roan asked her why UK sports continue to support Cookson's reelection campaign:

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/838396719180230656
sniper
Veteran

Re: Re:

05 Mar 2017 20:51

GreasyChain wrote:
yaco wrote:
thehog wrote:
yaco wrote:It's all very incestuous - Beloff a jurist and CAS Arbitrator is on the IAAF Ethics Commission and is a good friend of Tony Blair.

I guess that's why we'll never see the full Reason Decision on the Lizzie Armitstead 3 missed tests?

To be fair UKAD is much better than other NDO's at publishing reasoned decisions than other NDO's - My problem with the Lizzie Armistead case was that you should have to challenge a missing test at the time, not when you have racked up 3 missing tests.

What difference would that make to you? You'd still claim that anybody missing a single test was doping and that being cleared is just a cover up.

You can miss 3 tests in a rolling 12 month period. So why bother challenging 1 test when you have no intention of missing another one and can always appeal if you hit 3 by accident.

The casual racism on the clinic is something to behold. If you were Yes voters using such language about the english you'd have had the daily mail at your door and JK Rowling setting 6 million cultists on you.

I don't understand why there was no reaction when the second warning "ticked in" - if you'd been "unlucky" enough to miss the first and the second, where does your bad fortune stop? Wouldn't you do something?

The racism claim is just silly. There is a reason there's so much attention on cycling in the British Isles and that reason, I hope, you're well aware of. Can you really deny that the whole Sky/Wiggins/BC ordeal screams to high heavens of shady dealings going on?
Sorped

Re: Re:

07 Mar 2017 00:47

Sorped wrote:
GreasyChain wrote:
yaco wrote:
thehog wrote:
yaco wrote:It's all very incestuous - Beloff a jurist and CAS Arbitrator is on the IAAF Ethics Commission and is a good friend of Tony Blair.

I guess that's why we'll never see the full Reason Decision on the Lizzie Armitstead 3 missed tests?

To be fair UKAD is much better than other NDO's at publishing reasoned decisions than other NDO's - My problem with the Lizzie Armistead case was that you should have to challenge a missing test at the time, not when you have racked up 3 missing tests.

What difference would that make to you? You'd still claim that anybody missing a single test was doping and that being cleared is just a cover up.

You can miss 3 tests in a rolling 12 month period. So why bother challenging 1 test when you have no intention of missing another one and can always appeal if you hit 3 by accident.

The casual racism on the clinic is something to behold. If you were Yes voters using such language about the english you'd have had the daily mail at your door and JK Rowling setting 6 million cultists on you.

I don't understand why there was no reaction when the second warning "ticked in" - if you'd been "unlucky" enough to miss the first and the second, where does your bad fortune stop? Wouldn't you do something?

The racism claim is just silly. There is a reason there's so much attention on cycling in the British Isles and that reason, I hope, you're well aware of. Can you really deny that the whole Sky/Wiggins/BC ordeal screams to high heavens of shady dealings going on?

I dont think ANYONE on the board actually gets it. sorry, that is rhetoric and hyperbole.

But the proportion of folks on the board dont get it.

It is not #TeamSKY.

It is everyone. *_______________*bar a minute number

It is not about Brailsford and Sky and British riders, it is everyone in the professional peloton. They are not axiomatically poor of character. They have just occured in this invidious position.

The focus on Sky, is a confluence of things. Brailsford building the project to the 2012 Games and the dominance on the track, which he pressed onto the road.

If you look at it thru a lens of economic resources, i) Germany was withdrawing their support over the last decade, ii) Landis was the death knell of the high water mark of US corporate backing iii) Spain, Italy, continental Europe had sport sponsorship revenue outflows since 2008 banking crisis iv) UK flush with Olympic and Lotteries money, and Murdoch was patron.

No doubt Britain had talent that would have otherwise been fallow. Cavendish was always gonna be Cavendish no matter where and in what era. But the other squad members, it is still unforseen if they would flourish if they never had the support and anglophone culture in Brailsford's team.

So Brits out there, this puts it in context. It is not everyone just bagging you guys because of some bigotry and discrimination. Sky rose to the apogee in a dirty sport. Comes with the territory.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

07 Mar 2017 06:50

thehog wrote:So, what's the deal? From Cookson, to Coe to Reedie, all finished by U.K. Sport to become chocolate teapots and in some cases cover up corruption.

What's the deal?

That's easy.

A state sponsored program (read money bin) with a highly political structure, largely run by well-willing amateurs. High focus on success, which determines one's career. High stakes, money and a lack of oversight.

And if **** hits the fan? Contrary to the Spanish and the Italians, in this case there's deep involvement of the government and a complete unwillingness to get judicial involvement. That's the kicker. Whereas in Spain cyclists and doctors actually get subpoenaed, in the UK this is absolutely not in the cards (for any sport).
Franklin

07 Mar 2017 07:05

Franklin wrote:

What's the deal?

That's easy.

A state sponsored program (read money bin) with a highly political structure, largely run by well-willing amateurs. High focus on success, which determines one's career. High stakes, money and a lack of oversight.

And if **** hits the fan? Contrary to the Spanish and the Italians, in this case there's deep involvement of the government and a complete unwillingness to get judicial involvement. That's the kicker. Whereas in Spain cyclists and doctors actually get subpoenaed, in the UK this is absolutely not in the cards (for any sport).

and Germany killed their professional cycling industry, and the 5th estate took them down, and they are yet to recover (may never recover), unless, Greipel and Kittell qualify as 'sport recovered'.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

19 Apr 2017 18:16

Another good day for British Sporting Administrators, just goes to show that Russian method of bribing is way more revealing that having your own guys in power to cover everything up.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

19 Apr 2017 18:29

thehog wrote:Another good day for British Sporting Administrators, just goes to show that Russian method of bribing is way more revealing that having your own guys in power to cover everything up.

What's going down?
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

21 Apr 2017 16:36

Dame Katherine Grainger named as the new head of UK Sport.

Plus ca change
User avatar Catwhoorg

09 Jun 2017 12:52

sniper
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic