Log in:  

Register

CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

14 Sep 2017 16:26

most important is that the true about team sky comes very soon , i don't want this team to make gt not Worth watching so please go fast
User avatar telencefalus
Member
 
Posts: 515
Joined: 03 Sep 2017 18:39

Re:

14 Sep 2017 18:44

Electress wrote:I may well drop Mr Collins a line or two. The silence over the PC and UKAD reports is unearthly.
Do. And let us know if you get a reply. I've asked him about it myself - whether the new select committee intends to resurrect the old cycling inquiry or whether it's dead until the next scandal comes along - and am waiting to see if he replies.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,979
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 07:57

thehog wrote:
TheSpud wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:So. Guess what's back? Yup, this. After last season's unexpectedly truncated run and its epic finale cliffhanger - will the wall of silence protecting Sky collapse? - what's new? Well, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport is now the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. Does that mean that the DCMS now becomes the double-DCMS, inviting rather obvious jokes about boobs? Sadly, no. According to Matt Slater on Twitter, they're staying as the DCMS, by making the 'Department' silent. Which of itself invites a joke about their Jiffy bag report. Today, they're banging on about FIFA but hopefully we'll get to find out if they intend to resurrect the cycling inquiry.


Its been summer recess so nothing will have happened for a couple of months since then.


Well there was an election, so the committee dissolved. And now has reformed with a new name and some new members. Nothing to do with the summer recess.


That as well - but the summer recess is 2 months where naff all happens in parliament
TheSpud
Member
 
Posts: 1,227
Joined: 03 Jul 2014 20:43

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 12:01

TheSpud wrote:
thehog wrote:
TheSpud wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:So. Guess what's back? Yup, this. After last season's unexpectedly truncated run and its epic finale cliffhanger - will the wall of silence protecting Sky collapse? - what's new? Well, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport is now the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. Does that mean that the DCMS now becomes the double-DCMS, inviting rather obvious jokes about boobs? Sadly, no. According to Matt Slater on Twitter, they're staying as the DCMS, by making the 'Department' silent. Which of itself invites a joke about their Jiffy bag report. Today, they're banging on about FIFA but hopefully we'll get to find out if they intend to resurrect the cycling inquiry.


Its been summer recess so nothing will have happened for a couple of months since then.


Well there was an election, so the committee dissolved. And now has reformed with a new name and some new members. Nothing to do with the summer recess.


That as well - but the summer recess is 2 months where naff all happens in parliament
Keep digging...
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,979
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

19 Sep 2017 07:23

Something for the Committee to look into -
http://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/41253174
With medals being handed back, officials alleging dirty tricks, and calls for an independent system to judge levels of disability, is Paralympic sport losing trust?

A File on 4 special - Paralympic Sport - Fair Play?- spoke to athletes, parents, coaches and classifiers, and uncovered claims of tactics including the taping up of arms, taking cold showers in trunks and even surgery to shorten limbs in a bid to cheat the system.

Such abuse of the process has been described as "akin to doping".

And the BBC can reveal lawyers for governing body the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) are investigating whether several athletes and coaches have deliberately exaggerated disability to boost their chance of winning.

The classification system itself has also been criticised, with concerns classes have been opened up, allowing less impaired athletes to compete.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,139
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

19 Sep 2017 07:31

Robert5091 wrote:Something for the Committee to look into -
http://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/41253174
With medals being handed back, officials alleging dirty tricks, and calls for an independent system to judge levels of disability, is Paralympic sport losing trust?

A File on 4 special - Paralympic Sport - Fair Play?- spoke to athletes, parents, coaches and classifiers, and uncovered claims of tactics including the taping up of arms, taking cold showers in trunks and even surgery to shorten limbs in a bid to cheat the system.

Such abuse of the process has been described as "akin to doping".

And the BBC can reveal lawyers for governing body the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) are investigating whether several athletes and coaches have deliberately exaggerated disability to boost their chance of winning.

The classification system itself has also been criticised, with concerns classes have been opened up, allowing less impaired athletes to compete.


Can anything get more f..g twisted than that? Geez, if this is true - and why wouldn't it be ? - sport is well and truly *****
Electress
Member
 
Posts: 1,204
Joined: 25 Aug 2014 23:40
Location: United Kingdom

19 Sep 2017 07:49

Compared to this hidden motors in wheelchairs is only a minor problem imo.
Tienus
Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: 30 Jan 2016 18:15

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2017 16:51

Electress wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:Something for the Committee to look into -
http://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/41253174
With medals being handed back, officials alleging dirty tricks, and calls for an independent system to judge levels of disability, is Paralympic sport losing trust?

A File on 4 special - Paralympic Sport - Fair Play?- spoke to athletes, parents, coaches and classifiers, and uncovered claims of tactics including the taping up of arms, taking cold showers in trunks and even surgery to shorten limbs in a bid to cheat the system.

Such abuse of the process has been described as "akin to doping".

And the BBC can reveal lawyers for governing body the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) are investigating whether several athletes and coaches have deliberately exaggerated disability to boost their chance of winning.

The classification system itself has also been criticised, with concerns classes have been opened up, allowing less impaired athletes to compete.


Can anything get more f..g twisted than that? Geez, if this is true - and why wouldn't it be ? - sport is well and truly *****


It's not twisted ! People want to win whether it's amateur or professional - And some will use any means.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,169
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

20 Sep 2017 08:55

Absolute gold by Cope.

He was asked if Tom Pidcock had signed for Wiggins team, his reply

"Yes" "but I don't know if that's common knowledge though."


http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-wiggins-dismiss-claims-of-financial-problems-and-vow-to-race-in-2018/

What a clown.
User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,216
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

20 Sep 2017 19:01

Thumbs up! :)

Damian Collins: A truly independent body, that whistleblowers within sport can go to with confidence is needed @bbc5live
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,372
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

20 Sep 2017 19:02

MartinGT wrote:Absolute gold by Cope.

He was asked if Tom Pidcock had signed for Wiggins team, his reply

"Yes" "but I don't know if that's common knowledge though."


http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-wiggins-dismiss-claims-of-financial-problems-and-vow-to-race-in-2018/

What a clown.


His parents spoke this morning and said “we’ve signed nothing!” :cool:

I suspect Cope is dumb as dog ****, hence why he became a drug mule for Wiggins.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,372
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

21 Sep 2017 12:39

thehog wrote:Thumbs up! :)

Damian Collins: A truly independent body, that whistleblowers within sport can go to with confidence is needed @bbc5live


Why is Collins discussing this possibility ? The Government has the power to set up a whistle-blowing authority - Doubt any Government will be interested because it's not as useful as making grandiose statements, while sitting on your hands.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,169
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

22 Sep 2017 17:50

yaco wrote:
thehog wrote:Thumbs up! :)

Damian Collins: A truly independent body, that whistleblowers within sport can go to with confidence is needed @bbc5live


Why is Collins discussing this possibility ? The Government has the power to set up a whistle-blowing authority - Doubt any Government will be interested because it's not as useful as making grandiose statements, while sitting on your hands.


The government could set it up, then Brailsford and Sutton can come along and lie to the like they did to Parliament.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,372
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

22 Sep 2017 18:17

The UK government is more interested in making laws against cyclist because of a lynch mob over a tragic death of a pedestrian after being hit by a cyclist, when the overwhelming danger to pedestrians is not from cyclist and often the killer wont go to jail
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,351
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

22 Sep 2017 21:39

Stay on topic please.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,469
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

09 Oct 2017 13:11

DCMS Combating Doping in Sport report to be published end of this month.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,979
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re:

09 Oct 2017 18:32

fmk_RoI wrote:DCMS Combating Doping in Sport report to be published end of this month.


Haven't seen this statement from "Team Sky whistleblower" before apols if already posted. Could be true could be a smokescreen. Worth reading for the comedy typos!

"Dear Damian

Subject: Team Sky British Cycling ethics and practice

As you can understand i am writing this email anonymously, i have been driven to write this because i was very disappointed by Dave B's and Shane's interviews with the select committee. I understand that Richard Freeman and Simon Cope have been invited for interview. I would like to provide you with some information that you may not be aware of.

I am providing information as a Sky insider unfortunately a lot of things i am saying will be difficult to substantiate without admission from Sky but hopefully will provide you with information that you may be able to get closer to the full truth.

To start with we need to look at the medical team at Sky and the ethics with in the team.

2010, two Dr's, David Hulse and Richard Freeman, both came from a non cycling background, Dr Steve Peters was head of medicine. The senior riders complained that the team did not do IV recovery. The thought at the time by some riders and some cycling Dr's was IV recovery was essential to cope with Grand tours. Dr David refused to give IV recovery and was sidelined for the 2010 TdF Richard Freeman was sent on a 'secrete' visit to South Africa to meet experts on recovery he agreed to give 'recovery' and worked the Tour. At the end of the season Dr David was sacked (paid off) publicly this was ascribed to the death of Txema. The team then engaged Fabio Bartolucci (interestingly he had been the personal coach of Nicole Cooke) and Geert Leinders. Fabio was brought in because he had special expertise in IV recovery and was reputed to being paid 200k for 100 days. In 2011 the needles ban came in just before the Giro and Fabio left quickly after that. At this time IV recovery was not a banned practice and it is only banned now in competition time.

Dave B has always looked at how the medical team can support performance in 2015 he hired Roger Palfreeman as a race Dr with a special focus on performance. Interestingly Roger had previously worked with UK anti doping and reported that they had a file on Dr Freeman questioning some of his practice. Up until recently Dr Freeman still provided some work for Sky and is the BC Dr. He still uses injectable recovery for the endurance track squad such as B12 but not during competition so no rules are broken this was not given on medical grounds

The controversy of the 'Jiffy' bag at the end of the 2011 Dauphine is simple this was just after the needles ban came in place earlier that year it was stated that individuals including Dr's being caught at cycle races with injectable equipment could face up to a 5 years prison sentence. The offence is only committed if used in 'competition' time if used the day after it is not an offence. The Jiffy bag would have contained flumacil as reported but it would also have contained needles and other injectable recovery products such as B12. As was reported flumacil can be used as a decongestant but in suspension it as also been injected, flumacil is a simple amino acid (n-actylecystine) which is essential for glutathione syntheses which is a powerful intracellular antioxidant and can aid recovery.

Under the current rules i do not think that there as been a breach however i do believe that TUE's were used tactically by the team to support the health of a rider with an ultimate aim of supporting performance. At that time there were regular rider review meetings and all details of the rider were discussed medical confidentiality was wavered (this is common practice in sport) and the seriousness of Brad's allergies were not discussed. The use of the Triamcinolone acetonide was never discussed in these meetings however it had been discussed out side of the rider review meetings as a general discussion because it had been used for years in cycling and the consensus was it would be in appropriate to use.

In 2012 The team was under extreme pressure to perform Dave B and Shane Sutton put a great deal of pressure on the medical team in particular Richard Freeman to provide more proactive medical support. Using TUE's was openly discussed in hushed voices as a means of supporting health and wellbeing.

During the 2012 TDF the Dr for the race was Allan Farrel he accompanied the British Road Team to the Fox Hills Resort to provide medical support for the squad during the camp which was used as the pre-olympic holding camp for the road Team. Richard Freeman was with the track Team. In between the end of the Tour de France and the start of the Olympics Mark Cavendish charted a private flight from Franham airport to see Richard for recovery. Again this was outside competition time so it was not illegal, but the ethics are very questionable.

Steve Peters was fully aware of every thing that was going on regarding the medical team at that time and interestingly for the London Olympics he was on the medical committee that approved TUE's .

Simon Cope unfortunately is just an unwitting porn in this, it is common practice to carry sealed packages around, however people are usually asked to take things when they are already traveling. The controversy here is Simon was sent as a specific courier. At that time the culture was if Shane told people to do something you just did it.

At the committee interview Shane hid behind trusting the medical team this is utter nonsense he directed the medical team he constantly bullied Richard Freeman

April 2017"
Wiggo's Package
New Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Mar 2017 14:27

09 Oct 2017 19:20

Simon Cope unfortunately is just an unwitting porn in this,
Talk about being barely literate...
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,979
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

20 Oct 2017 06:43

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/19/british-cycling-doctor-jiffy-bag-scandal-richard-freeman

Freeman has not spoken publicly since UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) launched an investigation more than a year ago into the contents of a Jiffy bag delivered to Wiggins at the 2011 Critérium du Dauphiné. In a written statement to a parliamentary hearing, Freeman insisted the package contained only the decongestant Fluimucil but Ukad has still not been able to verify that claim because of the lack of medical records.

It is understood he was due to speak to Ukad as part of its continuing investigation two weeks ago but was not well enough to do so. British Cycling, which parted company with Freeman on 2 October, insisted it would continue to co-operate with the Ukad investigation. Freeman’s resignation removes an uncomfortable link with it and the doping suspicions swirling round Team Sky. Harrington, who took over from Ian Drake as chief executive of British Cycling in May, said she would have preferred to bring the matter to a more solid conclusion.

“We were investigating him on employment matters and Ukad were investigating him on doping matters,” she said. “After some months we were ready to continue with disciplinary action. Dr Freeman really wasn’t well enough to commence that and so we’ve allowed him to resign.


http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richard-freeman-resigns-from-british-cycling/

The Telegraph reported that Freeman is suffering from 'stress-related issues' and is not expected to return to his post with British Cycling regardless of the outcome of a current investigation by UK Anti-Doping.


Good to see UKAD are still investigating but seems to be for show at the moment. Freeman and Salzwedel out, the house cleaning goes on.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,139
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re: CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

20 Oct 2017 07:28

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/19/british-cycling-doctor-jiffy-bag-scandal-richard-freeman

Freeman has not spoken publicly since UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) launched an investigation more than a year ago into the contents of a Jiffy bag delivered to Wiggins at the 2011 Critérium du Dauphiné. In a written statement to a parliamentary hearing, Freeman insisted the package contained only the decongestant Fluimucil but Ukad has still not been able to verify that claim because of the lack of medical records.

It is understood he was due to speak to Ukad as part of its continuing investigation two weeks ago but was not well enough to do so. British Cycling, which parted company with Freeman on 2 October, insisted it would continue to co-operate with the Ukad investigation. Freeman’s resignation removes an uncomfortable link with it and the doping suspicions swirling round Team Sky. Harrington, who took over from Ian Drake as chief executive of British Cycling in May, said she would have preferred to bring the matter to a more solid conclusion.

“We were investigating him on employment matters and Ukad were investigating him on doping matters,” she said. “After some months we were ready to continue with disciplinary action. Dr Freeman really wasn’t well enough to commence that and so we’ve allowed him to resign.


http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richard-freeman-resigns-from-british-cycling/

The Telegraph reported that Freeman is suffering from 'stress-related issues' and is not expected to return to his post with British Cycling regardless of the outcome of a current investigation by UK Anti-Doping.


Good to see UKAD are still investigating but seems to be for show at the moment. Freeman and Salzwedel out, the house cleaning goes on.


yup...first the laptop and now its handler...lost from the evidence chain

looks and smells legit...what unparalleled bad luck sky/BC seem to have trying to appear clean :)
gillan1969
Member
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: 12 Aug 2009 12:25

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], silvergrenade, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests

Back to top