Log in:  

Register

Tour de Pharmacy

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 17:45

spalco wrote:
carton wrote:You really think Armstrong is laughing at himself? I mean, there's a first time for everything, but I find it so much more likely he's taking shots at someone else.


In the trailer that was published he is directly mocking Tyler Hamilton imo.
Oh FFS. Why not JV? It was JV who clung to anonymity, Ty went public (eventually).

Why does everything have to be a **** conspiracy around here?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

22 May 2017 17:46

It doesn't look like the 60 minutes interview to you?

edited to add: not to mention the irony of Lance Armstrong playing the whistleblower in general.
User avatar spalco
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,122
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 18:13
Location: Vienna

Re:

22 May 2017 17:52

spalco wrote:It doesn't look like the 60 minutes interview to you?

edited to add: not to mention the irony of Lance Armstrong playing the whistleblower in general.
1) No, except in the way one interview looks like another interview, in which case he's mocking oh I don't know, Bob Dylan or Lady Gaga or Johnny Depp; 2) You really don't do humour, do you, you're too busy speeding along on the sense of humour by-pass to smell the roses?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

22 May 2017 17:57

I suppose everyone deeply troubled by Tour de Pharmacy was equally bothered by Ben Johnson laughing at it all too in his recent ad?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 17:59

fmk_RoI wrote:1) No, except in the way one interview looks like another interview, in which case he's mocking oh I don't know, Bob Dylan or Lady Gaga or Johnny Depp; 2) You really don't do humour, do you, you're too busy speeding along on the sense of humour by-pass to smell the roses?


I can't explain it very well, especially not in English, but apart from the trailer looking painfully unfunny aside from the cycling theme, I really don't see anything funny in the role Armstrong seems to be playing in that film (although it's likely those couple minutes in the trailer are the whole extent of his involvement, considering the pretty impressive cast list).

Charlie Chaplin playing Hitler is funny, George W Bush playing a Guantanamo guard in a sketch probably wouldn't be.
If that makes me a bore in your eyes, I'll accept that.

eta: I'm certainly not "deeply troubled" by that film. I'll even watch it, but I honestly expect it to be ****. And if I turn out to have been wrong, I'll say so too, promise.
User avatar spalco
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,122
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 18:13
Location: Vienna

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 18:04

spalco wrote:apart from the trailer looking painfully unfunny aside from the cycling theme, I really don't see anything funny in the role Armstrong seems to be playing in that film (although it's likely those couple minutes in the trailer are the whole extent of his involvement, considering the pretty impressive cast list).
"I have no sense of humour, therefore it follows that Armstrong was making a pointed reference to Tyler Hamilton, even though, yes, he was appearing in a scripted scene which he didn't script, it was clearly about Ty, cause, well, just look, they're both being interviewed."
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

22 May 2017 18:07

The **** are you talking about? The joke in that video is really bad. Wearing a cycling helmet as a disguise "oh I think that might make me even more recognisable", come on.
User avatar spalco
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,122
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 18:13
Location: Vienna

22 May 2017 18:08

Can you laugh at this people?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

22 May 2017 18:18

fmk_Rol coming across as being deeply troubled in this topic!!
User avatar Gung Ho Gun
Member
 
Posts: 443
Joined: 15 Jul 2013 14:46

Re:

22 May 2017 18:30

Gung Ho Gun wrote:fmk_Rol coming across as being deeply troubled in this topic!!
Deeply - deeply - troubled by the responses of a small minority. But what's new, this is the Clinic.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

22 May 2017 18:42

This is funny. Wonder how many prospective jurors in Lance's trial will see this show...and conclude that everybody knew that pro cycling was a sewer of doping and corruption.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,097
Joined: 10 Aug 2010 20:13

Re:

22 May 2017 19:05

MarkvW wrote:This is funny. Wonder how many prospective jurors in Lance's trial will see this show...and conclude that everybody knew that pro cycling was a sewer of doping and corruption.
But ... well ... haven't we proved round here at this stage that not only it was, but it still is ... it's funny the things you end up agreeing with LA on ... :lol:
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 19:16

fmk_RoI wrote: You see, the problem here is you seem to want Armstrong to be what people always wanted Armstrong to be: scheming, conniving, always with the ulterior motive. Some are so used to that mindset that they just can't let it go, everything has to be about Ty or Tygart or Betsy or whoever. Well, news: it doesn't have to be like that.

Maybe. I could be the problem here. We all could. We just might not have enough love in our hearts. Maybe we are the bad ones. HWMNBN isn't doing this to exculpate himself as a mere product of his environs, to take shots at others, or for some free publicity. He's just trying to make us laugh, no strings attached. He would be a force for good in cycling if we just let them, but he's powerless against us. He could even be the one true force for good, as only the dirtiest of athletes can really show us the better way. The ones who didn't dope are just useless losers with no will. But no. We stand in the way. We are but cynics and skeptics, small minded folk who can't dream big, can't believe in miracles. Pity us bigly, if you must.

And I have no qualms about that. That could (really) be it. Seems like the wrong place to make that argument though, if you're hoping for it to get any kind of traction. Most here would seem to rather err in the side of caution. Some of us ar even so juvenile and petty we just want to cycling to move on and hopefully never hear of that particular individual ever again. And we're even willing to risk potentially losing out on salvation in exchange.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,186
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 19:29

carton wrote:Maybe. I could be the problem here. We all could. We just might not have enough love in our hearts. Maybe we are the bad ones. HWMNBN isn't doing this to exculpate himself as a mere product of his environs, to take shots at others, or for some free publicity. He's just trying to make us laugh, no strings attached. He would be a force for good in cycling if we just let them, but he's powerless against us. He could even be the one true force for good, as only the dirtiest of athletes can really show us the better way. The ones who didn't dope are just useless losers with no will. But no. We stand in the way. We are but cynics and skeptics, small minded folk who can't dream big, can't believe in miracles. Pity us bigly, if you must.

And I have no qualms about that. That could (really) be it. Seems like the wrong place to make that argument though, if you're hoping for it to get any kind of traction. Most here would seem to rather err in the side of caution. Some of us ar even so juvenile and petty we just want to cycling to move on and hopefully never hear of that particular individual ever again. And we're even willing to risk potentially losing out on salvation in exchange.
Over analysing really takes the fun out of humour...
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,513
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 20:02

fmk_RoI wrote:Over analysing really takes the fun out of humour...
I beg to differ (Youtube), just out of habit. The best jokes are when you come around to admitting that you're the punchline, IMHO.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,186
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re:

22 May 2017 20:03

DFA123 wrote:No surprise to see Lance involved in this terrible idea. Still trying to subtly push his 'everyone was at is - it was a level playing field' agenda.

Also, can't wait to see the sequels 'National Pharmacy League' and 'Wimbledope'.


Jeebus! This whole forum is dedicated to showing that cycling is a sewer of doping yet whenever LA even hints at the truth, all the haters forget everything about the prevalence of doping and attack the idea that everyone WAS on drugs. Show some consistency.
"Their world is crumbling. Ours is being built."
DamianoMachiavelli
Junior Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 Oct 2015 22:35

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 20:10

fmk_RoI wrote:
carton wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:Isn't laugher one of the stages of grief or did they rewrite that? If you can't laugh at yourself...
You really think Armstrong is laughing at himself? I mean, there's a first time for everything, but I find it so much more likely he's taking shots at someone else.
Why do you assume it's laughing at himself? Why not assume he's laughing at the whole thing about doping? You see, the problem here is you seem to want Armstrong to be what people always wanted Armstrong to be: scheming, conniving, always with the ulterior motive. Some are so used to that mindset that they just can't let it go, everything has to be about Ty or Tygart or Betsy or whoever. Well, news: it doesn't have to be like that.


And this sums up everything that is wrong about this forum. Everything LA does is viewed through a lens of hate and butthurt. No matter what he says, no matter what he does, no matter how much truth he speaks, it is a conspiracy to manipulate the public. People don't even trust themselves--let alone others--to pick the wheat from the chaff; it all has to be rejected.
"Their world is crumbling. Ours is being built."
DamianoMachiavelli
Junior Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 Oct 2015 22:35

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 20:17

DamianoMachiavelli wrote:Jeebus! This whole forum is dedicated to showing that cycling is a sewer of doping yet whenever LA even hnts at the truth, all the haters forget everything about the prevalence of doping and attack the idea that everyone WAS on drugs. Show some consistency.
Ironically, consistency is exactly what I want. It was a sewer, sure (who is denying it?), but he was funneling in the really industrial grade waste. That's the part he so honestly leaves out.

But maybe I'm afraid of letting him live out his truth, where he was but a helpless chick nestled in a bottomless sewer. It's just to bright and true of a truth for me. I cower in it's illuminating purity. I'm just another intolerant, bigot wrapped up in my own Alethephobia, moralizing about the lives of others to shelter myself from ever paying attention to my own unbearable imperfections.

Or maybe I just enjoy calling out empty, sell-serving BS brazenly marketed as "truth" when I see it. Doesn't really have to be an either/or situation.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,186
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 20:29

carton wrote:
DamianoMachiavelli wrote:Jeebus! This whole forum is dedicated to showing that cycling is a sewer of doping yet whenever LA even hnts at the truth, all the haters forget everything about the prevalence of doping and attack the idea that everyone WAS on drugs. Show some consistency.
Ironically, consistency is exactly what I want. It was a sewer, sure (who is denying it?), but he was funneling in the really industrial grade waste. That's the part he so honestly leaves out.


Huh? LA was doping less than the other riders. He was not using HGH. He was not using artificial hemoglobin. He was not doped all season long. If you want to talk about industrial waste then let's talk about the Spanish teams. Those teams doped more than any other.
"Their world is crumbling. Ours is being built."
DamianoMachiavelli
Junior Member
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 Oct 2015 22:35

Re: Re:

22 May 2017 20:49

DamianoMachiavelli wrote:Huh? LA was doping less than the other riders. He was not using HGH. He was not using artificial hemoglobin. He was not doped all season long. If you want to talk about industrial waste then let's talk about the Spanish teams. Those teams doped more than any other.
Umm, he was on HGH. He was doped all season long. Where are you getting this? He has admitted as much (not 09'-10' but if you believe that, we'll I've got a bridge over the East River that might pique your interest). Although, sure, maybe if he admitted it then it may actually not be true. It's HWMNBN we're talking about. But I think it's on the reasoned decision as well, if you'd rather go on that.

Also, and the key point here, he was pushing other riders to take more drugs, while he was enforcing omerta more than anyone. He was not the extorted, he was not even a mere foot solider. He was a freaking capo, if not the capo di tutt'i capi. His share of the spoils was greater than all the other shares put together, in so far as individuals go.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,186
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carolina, dacooley and 21 guests

Back to top