Register

Cardiac Anomalies - is something going on or is this normal?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Cardiac Anomalies - is something going on or is this nor

17 Apr 2018 18:32

I don't see the heart anomalies as that abnormal. I know of 3 riders in my local area out of perhaps 200 who I would argue raced too hard, train too much and love cycling on the limit so much, it has left them with various heart issues requiring surgery.
Always important to remember, humans are designed to walk, climb, run, jump, crawl, lift, swim and have sex in short intervals of several minutes. Riding a bike for 5 hours every day for 3 weeks is as unnatural as sitting stationary in front of a TV eating chips for 5 hours a day for 3 weeks or running a marathon everyday for 3 weeks. All, we are not designed to do well.
samhocking

17 Apr 2018 20:00

samhocking wrote:I don't see the heart anomalies as that abnormal. I know of 3 riders in my local area out of perhaps 200 who I would argue raced too hard, train too much and love cycling on the limit so much, it has left them with various heart issues requiring surgery.
Always important to remember, humans are designed to walk, climb, run, jump, crawl, lift, swim and have sex in short intervals of several minutes. Riding a bike for 5 hours every day for 3 weeks is as unnatural as sitting stationary in front of a TV eating chips for 5 hours a day for 3 weeks or running a marathon everyday for 3 weeks. All, we are not designed to do well.

Dunno, there's a fairly significant body of thought that we are designed for long distance running, basically to hunt for food. We are endurance machines.

Obviously this is a bit different to riding a bike hard. My impression, after doing a lot of both, is that you can put yourself in a much greater level of "general" fatigue on a bike because when running the muscles in your legs tend to get too damaged to work properly before other constraints kick in. I ran just inside 2:30 for a marathon and was in a mess for weeks yet am capable of putting in similar length hard efforts on a bike day after day. Does it follow that this would put more pressure on the heart/lungs over a long period?
simoni

17 Apr 2018 21:49

simoni wrote:Dunno, there's a fairly significant body of thought that we are designed for long distance running, basically to hunt for food. We are endurance machines.

Obviously this is a bit different to riding a bike hard. My impression, after doing a lot of both, is that you can put yourself in a much greater level of "general" fatigue on a bike because when running the muscles in your legs tend to get too damaged to work properly before other constraints kick in. I ran just inside 2:30 for a marathon and was in a mess for weeks yet am capable of putting in similar length hard efforts on a bike day after day. Does it follow that this would put more pressure on the heart/lungs over a long period?

The big problem with running is it's a weight-bearing sport. Your body weight is hitting the ground thousands of times and something starting at the feet going upwards is going to give out before you ever get close to the kind of time you can reach on a bike (no impact there).

The endurance demands are very similar and you can predict pretty well from biking to running performance and vice-versa.
hazaran

17 Apr 2018 22:24

simoni wrote:
samhocking wrote:I don't see the heart anomalies as that abnormal. I know of 3 riders in my local area out of perhaps 200 who I would argue raced too hard, train too much and love cycling on the limit so much, it has left them with various heart issues requiring surgery.

Dunno, there's a fairly significant body of thought that we are designed for long distance running, basically to hunt for food. We are endurance machines.

You're absolutely right - our bodies are designed for long-distance running & walking. In fact, we are the only mammals that have the physiology for efficient endurance capabilities over very long distances.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/04/humans-hot-sweaty-natural-born-runners/

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/06/daniel_lieberman_long_distance_running_we_evolved_endurance_and_dislike.html
Nomad

18 Apr 2018 05:50

25-year old ex-Continental rider Jeroen Goeleven found dead in his bed: https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/65520/jeroen-goeleven-est-mort
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

18 Apr 2018 10:08

Nomad wrote:
simoni wrote:

You're absolutely right - our bodies are designed for long-distance running & walking. In fact, we are the only mammals that have the physiology for efficient endurance capabilities over very long distances.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/04/humans-hot-sweaty-natural-born-runners/

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/06/daniel_lieberman_long_distance_running_we_evolved_endurance_and_dislike.html

We definitely are not designed for long distance running over multiple days. Clearly we are designed to run short distances like those articles state of 10-15km (1-2000 calories) on single day, because that's how much energy we can store without stopping and refuelling, but not 5 hours a day everyday for 3 weeks. If that was required to hunt food you would be burning 6-7000 calories a day chasing antelope and not even be able to eat 7000 calories from that antelope in time for the next days running. You would be burning 7000 calories a day to eat 7000 calories a day which is pointless when you only need 2000.
samhocking

18 Apr 2018 22:26

The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Previous

Return to The Clinic