Log in:  

Register

The Cookson legacy

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: The Cookson legacy

13 Sep 2017 19:44

David Lappartient has said that he will implement a corticosteroid and tramadol ban if appointed as President of the International Cycling Union (UCI) when its electoral congress takes place on 21 September in Bergen, Norway. Lappartient would also implement Article 9 of the Movement for a Credible Cycling’s (MPCC) Regulations, which require teams to suspend cyclists with low cortisol levels for a minimum eight day period, into UCI Regulations.


And Sky we are looking at you;

All glucocorticoids are prohibited under section S9 of WADA’s Prohibited List ‘when administered by oral, intravenous, intramuscular, or rectal routes’. However, they are permitted in competition (IC) via other routes of administration, and out of competition (OOC). “The hope was that the detection method for routes of administration would be developed”, WADA’s Director General Olivier Niggli told the Tackling Doping in Sport conference in March. “That hasn’t happened. Only those who are being honest about what they have been doing get caught. Otherwise you always say it was a cream, and you get away with it.”


http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/uci-presidential-candidate-calls-corticosteroid-tramadol-ban/
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,289
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: The Cookson legacy

14 Sep 2017 07:14

Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,029
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

14 Sep 2017 15:08

One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.
Craigee
Junior Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 18 Aug 2016 06:18

Re:

14 Sep 2017 15:19

Craigee wrote:One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.


People are selfish and greedy. Those that cast the votes get 'persuaded' to vote for whoever has the biggest gifts.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,986
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re:

14 Sep 2017 15:20

Craigee wrote:One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.


Yeah - The funding cuts Jones has passed onto the road and women's part of the program, and possibly MTB and BMX - Track is fairly much untouched.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,950
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: The Cookson legacy

14 Sep 2017 15:22



Ultimately it's WADA and their band of scientific experts who decide what substances make the prohibited list - Sporting associations lobby but only have a certain amount of influence.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,950
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: The Cookson legacy

14 Sep 2017 15:30

yaco wrote:


Ultimately it's WADA and their band of scientific experts who decide what substances make the prohibited list - Sporting associations lobby but only have a certain amount of influence.


What, UCI cant pick subtances to ban and have to wait for WADA? Dont think so.

It is called passing the blame.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,986
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

14 Sep 2017 16:08

i fear that cookson will be re elected , but if not the other will not be much better
User avatar telencefalus
Member
 
Posts: 467
Joined: 03 Sep 2017 18:39

Re: The Cookson legacy

14 Sep 2017 16:14

Benotti69 wrote:
yaco wrote:


Ultimately it's WADA and their band of scientific experts who decide what substances make the prohibited list - Sporting associations lobby but only have a certain amount of influence.


What, UCI cant pick subtances to ban and have to wait for WADA? Dont think so.

It is called passing the blame.


It's WADA who sets the parameters for the anti-doping code and agencies then administer the code - Stakeholders lobby WADA who may or may not listen - Sporting bodies can go over and above the code to prohibit substances or even methods of administration such as needles - You can continue defending WADA who are one of the most useless organisations in existence
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,950
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

14 Sep 2017 17:37

Man who had no problem with Greece being offered a brown paper bag full of money to vote for him gets shirty when former UCI pres Pat McQuaid sends an email saying how **** useless he is? Life, you never cease to surprise me.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,775
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: The Cookson legacy

14 Sep 2017 17:42

Election is hotting up....

In an email sent by McQuaid on September 6 and obtained by CyclingTips, the former UCI president wrote, “Having been president for eight years I know what is involved and how a president should act and lead his sport. Unfortunately I haven’t seen any of this from Brian this past four years, indeed he has abdicated his responsibilities to his GM Martin Gibbs. They have a big communications machine behind them which gives the impression that everything is rosy but I am aware behind the scenes it is not. Brian hasn’t made it to any Board such as IOC [International Olympic Committee], ASOIF [Association of Summer Olympic International Federations], SportAccord, or even WADA [World Anti-Doping Agency], and so UCI has little clout in the larger international sporting world. It’s the same with cycling stakeholders — teams, riders, organisers, etc — they have no respect for UCI under Brian, which is why they made no progress on the UCI WorldTour. I could give many more examples but I won’t bore you with them. Suffice to say that I do think David Lappartient could do a much better job and be a real leader of UCI.”

McQuaid confirmed he’d sent the email, but denied that he’d done so for an honorary president position.

“My opinion on this presidential election is no secret,” McQuaid told CyclingTips. “I’ve given several interviews critical of Brian Cookson and his presidency. But to say that I was promised a senior position is absolute rubbish. I’ve received no assurances from David, and he doesn’t need me to win the UCI election. He’s well capable of winning on his own.”
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,289
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: The Cookson legacy

14 Sep 2017 19:26

yaco wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
yaco wrote:


Ultimately it's WADA and their band of scientific experts who decide what substances make the prohibited list - Sporting associations lobby but only have a certain amount of influence.


What, UCI cant pick subtances to ban and have to wait for WADA? Dont think so.

It is called passing the blame.


It's WADA who sets the parameters for the anti-doping code and agencies then administer the code - Stakeholders lobby WADA who may or may not listen - Sporting bodies can go over and above the code to prohibit substances or even methods of administration such as needles - You can continue defending WADA who are one of the most useless organisations in existence


I dont defend WADA.

WADA are mere PR and nothing more. A smokescreen and not a very good one at that.

WADA set parameters by banning PEDs many years behind the current PEDs.

"Sporting bodies can go over and above the code to prohibit substances or even methods of administration such as needles"

UCI can ban tramadol without WADA.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,986
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

14 Sep 2017 19:29

McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,986
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re:

14 Sep 2017 19:57

Benotti69 wrote:McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!
So if McQuaid wanted to nix Lappartient and get Cookson re-elected, for you all he would need to do would be to publicly support Lappartient?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,775
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

14 Sep 2017 21:02

fmk_RoI wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!
So if McQuaid wanted to nix Lappartient and get Cookson re-elected, for you all he would need to do would be to publicly support Lappartient?


If only McQuaid had that level of intelligence....... :D
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,986
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

14 Sep 2017 22:29

Let the mud throwing begin! :D

BC using the old "fear tactic" of a vote for my opponent means back to the bad old days. Interesting that BC is the one going out to the media. Is this David Alexander at Calacus "genius" idea? McQuaid said back in July that he backs David Lappartient.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091
Member
 
Posts: 1,029
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

15 Sep 2017 06:24

Benotti69 wrote:McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!


Even if Lappartient is elected (which I highly doubt...), countdown to a French-backed national team in 3...2...1... It's what the cool kids do.
heart_attack_man
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: 18 Feb 2013 10:29

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 11:16

heart_attack_man wrote:Even if Lappartient is elected (which I highly doubt...), countdown to a French-backed national team in 3...2...1... It's what the cool kids do.
And Madiot, Lavenu, JRB and the other guy, they'll welcome this - they won't seek to frustrate this - why?
Last edited by fmk_RoI on 15 Sep 2017 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,775
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 11:48

heart_attack_man wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!


Even if Lappartient is elected (which I highly doubt...), countdown to a French-backed national team in 3...2...1... It's what the cool kids do.


Unknown Frenchman who used to zig zag up hills to become the next ITT hero and climber? Who will it be :eek:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 20,289
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 11:56

thehog wrote:
heart_attack_man wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!


Even if Lappartient is elected (which I highly doubt...), countdown to a French-backed national team in 3...2...1... It's what the cool kids do.


Unknown Frenchman who used to zig zag up hills to become the next ITT hero and climber? Who will it be :eek:


He will have grown up in Algeria, Morocco, Mali or one of the former French colonies to French parents.
User avatar ruamruam
Member
 
Posts: 312
Joined: 03 Jun 2009 12:55
Location: Ireland

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 25 guests

Back to top