Register

Sunweb

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2017 15:37

Irondan wrote:I'm not "drinking the koolaid", but I could be missing something.
I doubt you're missing much...
Irondan wrote:What "hour" bike had a motor designed around the frame?
He built a bike for Abraham Olano, never used, but he said it was super fast. Obv, it was only super fast cause of the hidden motor, stands to reason, doesn't it?
User avatar fmk_RoI

25 Oct 2017 16:02

Such a lack of curiosity, fmk.

Irondan, much of it comes down to whether you believe Boardman was dabbling in motors in the early 90s, something we've looked at in the Boardman and Millar threads and the general motor thread (all overlapping), so nothing Sunweb related but feel free to PM me about it and I'll expand. Looking at results obtained by Giant bikes in the late 90s and early 2000s is rather informative, too. And then looking at bikeswitching patterns within those races. Etc. Again nothing I should elaborate on here but what it leads to is a sum of evidence that allows for informed speculation, in my humble view.

To keep it concise, I would ask those who think Burrows/Giant were not meddling with motors in the mid-90s a very simple question:
Why the hell not?
I'll settle for one reason.
No hyperbole responses please.

On a side, I think the involvement of Verbruggen is rather salient.
Last edited by sniper on 25 Oct 2017 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
sniper
Veteran

25 Oct 2017 16:13

That must be why Ullrich had his worst TdF-result ever the first year his team switched to Giant bikes.
kingjr

Re:

25 Oct 2017 16:28

sniper wrote:To keep it concise, I would ask those who think Burrows/Giant were not meddling with motors in the mid-90s a very simple question:
Why the hell not?
I'll settle for one reason.
Let's follow that logic. Gitane. Owned by Renault. Motor doping. Obviously.Image
User avatar fmk_RoI

25 Oct 2017 16:54

As I thought. Just hyperbole deflection. No surprises there.
sniper
Veteran

Re:

25 Oct 2017 16:57

sniper wrote:As I thought. Just hyperbole deflection. No surprises there.
It is your logic I am using. If there's an error in the tools, well, what can I say.

As for Sunweb. They have team vehicles by Mini, don't they? Mini, they make things small, don't they? <lightbulb> Mini make small motors to fit in the Giant bikes, don't they!

This logic thing, it's sooo easy...
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

26 Oct 2017 21:43

kingjr wrote:That must be why Ullrich had his worst TdF-result ever the first year his team switched to Giant bikes.

You're fighting windmills here.
Why did Riis suck in 1997. Why did Indurain suck in 1996. We simply don't know yet you'll agree that "Because they decided not to cheat" isn't the answer.

As if Ulrich having a motor would automatically mean nothing else could go wrong in his preparation or execution of the race. Of course not. Regular PEDs need to be taken into account for instance, too, and shiploads could go wrong on that front.
Ow, and I dont see anybody claiming Ulrich was the only rider using a motor that year, either.

Bottom line, why Ulrich had a crap TdF that year is an interesting question but one that bears little if any relevance to the Giant motor issue. Rather, ask yourself why his team switched to Giant in the first place ;)
sniper
Veteran

27 Oct 2017 01:22

sniper wrote:
kingjr wrote:That must be why Ullrich had his worst TdF-result ever the first year his team switched to Giant bikes.

Why did Riis suck in 1997. Why did Indurain suck in 1996. We simply don't know yet you'll agree that "Because they decided not to cheat" isn't the answer.

As if Ulrich having a motor would automatically mean nothing else could go wrong in his preparation or execution of the race. Of course not. Regular PEDs need to be taken into account for instance, too, and shiploads could go wrong on that front.
Ow, and I dont see anybody claiming Ulrich was the only rider using a motor that year, either.

Bottom line, why Ulrich had a crap TdF that year is an interesting question but one that bears little if any relevance to the Giant motor issue. Rather, ask yourself why his team switched to Giant in the first place
I'm just adding 2 and 2 together. The first part of your post doesn't make sense. The last part, well, if that question is not relevant, then neither is the bolded.
kingjr

27 Oct 2017 02:50

sniper wrote:

Bottom line, why Ulrich had a crap TdF that year is an interesting question but one that bears little if any relevance to the Giant motor issue. Rather, ask yourself why his team switched to Giant in the first place ;)

Giant paid more than Pinarello
Pinarello with Petacchi and Fassa Bortolo won 9 stages at the Giro that year, and 4 at the Vuelta.
pastronef

27 Oct 2017 08:07

Interesting. I'm not surprised by that at all. You guessed it, Pinarello are very high on the list of suspicious brands, already in th 90s in fact, for reasons i wont go into here but feel free to pm me.

Anyhow I should specify what I meant when I said Giant may have been "pioneers". What it does NOT mean is that I think they were the first to use motors. We'll never know who was the first, much like with EPO, although for a variety of reasons I think experimentation goes back to the 80s, and first efficient race models go back to the early 90s.

I think GIANT and Pinarello may have been pioneers in the sense that they were among the first brands to provide motorized bikes (and/or frames that were designed to fit a motor) to proteams. So while before it was kind of an individual thing organized at rider/team-level, those brands really changed the game. Trek and Cervelo are very dodgy too in that sense. Although by the time Cervelo join in I think it's already a widespread issue.
sniper
Veteran

27 Oct 2017 11:03

Vroomen was very vocal about being against doping and wrote about it constantly. https://gerard.cc/?s=doping With that in mind, I don't think Cervelo was active in bringing motors to the sport.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

27 Oct 2017 11:45

A couple of posts here, there's something odd: if you take out the words Giant and motors and insert the words LeMond and doping, you know what? You've got the exact same BS. Try it and see for yourself.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

27 Oct 2017 12:07

fmk_RoI wrote:A couple of posts here, there's something odd: if you take out the words Giant and motors and insert the words LeMond and doping, you know what? You've got the exact same BS. Try it and see for yourself.

I can't say that surprises me. Were you surprised?
Last edited by GJB123 on 30 Oct 2017 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar GJB123

Re:

27 Oct 2017 14:09

ScienceIsCool wrote:Vroomen was very vocal about being against doping and wrote about it constantly. https://gerard.cc/?s=doping With that in mind, I don't think Cervelo was active in bringing motors to the sport.

John Swanson

Off topic, but Jonathan Vaughters was/is/has been very vocal against doping too.
I'm not sure why you'd attach much value to that, even less so in the context of motors. That said, I can see how maybe they may have thought or hoped the advent of motors would make doping redundant :cool: (which of course never happened)
In fact, seeing how vocally antidoping both have been, their silence on motors is all the more deafening.

Another one who allegedly was kind of antidoping is a certain Luigi Cecchini (or at least he allegedly turned antidoping ever since the Italian police found drugs in his apartment). Hamilton, Cancellara, Jaksche, Dekker, Millar, Riis, all on the record saying Cecchini dont do no drugs. If not PEDs, I wonder what he had to offer :eek:
In this context, give Lucca and Schoberer some thought, too. All fwiw.
sniper
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic