Register

Sunweb

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

17 Sep 2017 15:59

Wow, they beat BMC?
DanielSong39

17 Sep 2017 16:11

Sunweb ride Giant frames. I would not trust Giant are not part of the 'motor revolution' in the sport.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

17 Sep 2017 16:59

At least that means we get a train race between Sky and Sunweb.
DanielSong39

Re:

17 Sep 2017 21:07

DanielSong39 wrote:Wow, they beat BMC?

Any team with Dumoulin, Matthews and Kelderman would be very hard to beat.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Sunweb

17 Sep 2017 21:10

behind the Giant-Shimano (and previously Argos) Giant-Alpecin, Giant-Sunweb, Sunweb there must be a similar marketing and PR brain to Sky but they did it slower, from the Argos years, now since 3-4 years with the #creatingmemories hashtag and the 2 vertical lines on the jersey (while Sky has 1....) the "young team", the 2015 Dumo-Vuelta experiment, the likeable team...
it´s coming together. kudos to Spekenbrink and co. for working behind that. they planned for long time. just look at Dumo´s contract until 2021.
they saw Sky´s big mistakes and Sky´s methods and marginal gains and learned from them. they have everything to please the public. Geschke, Ten Dam (tweeting to digger today ffs) the young guns from Holland and Australia etc
that is going to be huge. Kelderman stepped up big time and well, Dumo winning in Oropa is an aperitif of what is coming next year. and today we had the confirmation.
the team that will try to defeat Sky (with their similar methods, because they saw Sky and slowly learned) is coming

Dumo in 2015 "Wiggins showed me what´s possible"

http://teamsunweb.com/auping-tech/

bring their own mattresses and train in South Africa
pastronef

17 Sep 2017 21:37

I'm sure they're about as clean as Sky but they have the advantage of being a fresh face and not insulting the public with bogus PR. Yes, train races are boring but if there are two trains then at least there is some suspense.
DanielSong39

Re:

17 Sep 2017 22:48

DanielSong39 wrote:I'm sure they're about as clean as Sky but they have the advantage of being a fresh face and not insulting the public with bogus PR. Yes, train races are boring but if there are two trains then at least there is some suspense.

And Dumoulin at least got some results as a young guy and is pretty enough to go on a magazine cover and not hurt sales. :D
Beech Mtn

Re:

18 Sep 2017 10:39

DanielSong39 wrote:I'm sure they're about as clean as Sky but they have the advantage of being a fresh face and not insulting the public with bogus PR. Yes, train races are boring but if there are two trains then at least there is some suspense.

Well, in fact they came to the scene telling everyone how different they were. And it made a sort of sense, going only for mass sprints, only to have some classic success a couple of years later.

But indeed, they never insulted someone's intelligence the way Sky does, they never brought boring racing or insane dominance. And Dumoulin developed in a very natural way. Step by step, getting stronger year by year.

For now, we can only hope they'll become as strong as Sky, with Kelderman, Oomen and Ten Dam in the mountains, and probably someone to replace Barguil.
Pennino

Re: Sunweb

18 Sep 2017 10:51

pastronef wrote:behind the Giant-Shimano (and previously Argos) Giant-Alpecin, Giant-Sunweb, Sunweb there must be a similar marketing and PR brain to Sky but they did it slower, from the Argos years, now since 3-4 years with the #creatingmemories hashtag and the 2 vertical lines on the jersey (while Sky has 1....) the "young team", the 2015 Dumo-Vuelta experiment, the likeable team...
it´s coming together. kudos to Spekenbrink and co. for working behind that. they planned for long time. just look at Dumo´s contract until 2021.
they saw Sky´s big mistakes and Sky´s methods and marginal gains and learned from them. they have everything to please the public. Geschke, Ten Dam (tweeting to digger today ffs) the young guns from Holland and Australia etc
that is going to be huge. Kelderman stepped up big time and well, Dumo winning in Oropa is an aperitif of what is coming next year. and today we had the confirmation.
the team that will try to defeat Sky (with their similar methods, because they saw Sky and slowly learned) is coming

Dumo in 2015 "Wiggins showed me what´s possible"

http://teamsunweb.com/auping-tech/

bring their own mattresses and train in South Africa

Good post, makes totally sense.
Pennino

18 Sep 2017 14:52

I'm confused. So are they doping or not?
Craigee

Re:

18 Sep 2017 14:55

Craigee wrote:I'm confused. So are they doping or not?

yes, and they will beat Sky. so they are welcome
pastronef

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2017 15:18

pastronef wrote:
Craigee wrote:I'm confused. So are they doping or not?

yes, and they will beat Sky. so they are welcome

Cheers that's what I think too. Even more obvious to me than the two teams results is the way they don't peak in form or should I say stay at their peak. It's not right.
Craigee

18 Sep 2017 19:35

Pennino wrote:For now, we can only hope they'll become as strong as Sky, with Kelderman, Oomen and Ten Dam in the mountains, and probably someone to replace Barguil.

oh cmon, ten dam? He wouldn't have a place on Sky's B team and he's on his way out. He's a competent road captain who disappeared long before the final climb on every stage of the giro. The only visible contribution from an outside observer's perspective was after shitgate and he still couldn't hang with his captain the way nieve, poels, kwia, geraint, ...
proffate

19 Sep 2017 05:05

proffate wrote:
Pennino wrote:For now, we can only hope they'll become as strong as Sky, with Kelderman, Oomen and Ten Dam in the mountains, and probably someone to replace Barguil.

oh cmon, ten dam? He wouldn't have a place on Sky's B team and he's on his way out. He's a competent road captain who disappeared long before the final climb on every stage of the giro. The only visible contribution from an outside observer's perspective was after shitgate and he still couldn't hang with his captain the way nieve, poels, kwia, geraint, ...

Ten Dam could be still very decent if he can peak for the TDF the way he did before joining Sunweb. I mean really peaking, not entering a serious race and just preparing somewhere in the US. Curious if he could pull that off again.
Pennino

19 Sep 2017 06:27

Are people here seriously suggesting that Sunweb can challenge Sky in the mountains? I think some are vastly overestimating the strength of Sunwebs squad.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

19 Sep 2017 08:19

It should be noted however that on the Angliru stage, they still had 3 man working for Kelderman at the first part of the climb. This is after Cobertoria and Cordal, and this was without Barguil and Oomen.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2017 14:42

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:It should be noted however that on the Angliru stage, they still had 3 man working for Kelderman at the first part of the climb. This is after Cobertoria and Cordal, and this was without Barguil and Oomen.

Who was that, Søren Kragh, Hofstede and?
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

19 Sep 2017 14:48

Valv.Piti wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:It should be noted however that on the Angliru stage, they still had 3 man working for Kelderman at the first part of the climb. This is after Cobertoria and Cordal, and this was without Barguil and Oomen.

Who was that, Søren Kragh, Hofstede and?

Kragh Andersen, Haga, Hamilton.
User avatar Squire

19 Sep 2017 18:12

Sunweb are fine. No worse than anyone else. Dumoulin is only 26 so he is on the up. Good on them.
Cookster15

20 Sep 2017 08:22

Youngest ever team that won the worlds TTT, nobody older than 26. The 90-ties generation is insane
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic