Register

Top Alien Awards 2017

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

01 Oct 2017 12:04

I think you're downplaying his Volta last year. I think he's similar to Froome, only skipping '12 and going directly from zero-to-hero year ('11) to absurd domination ('13). Difference obviously being the different level of the scenes it happened on.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2017 15:50

Red Rick wrote:
Netserk wrote:Afaik, it has only been slow in the high mountain stages in the GTs. Fast everywhere else.

Giro: Blockhaus and Oropa were super fast. Etna was headwind. Umbrail is hard to tell because it was such a high and hard stage (probably up there with Mont du Chat in the Tour). Rest of the third week was all weak to ok.

Tour: Aru on la Planche, Contador on the Croix de Fer, and the Izoard across the field were pretty fast. But I agree, not the strongest climbing performances of the year.

Vuelta: All short climbs were fast. All the big ones pretty slow. I think all of Calar Alto, Pandera, Sierra Nevada and the Angliru had headwinds. Froome must've sacrificed a large number of bunnies to the cycling gods

Strongest climbing performances would probably be something like

In a random order

Quintana on Blockhaus and Terminillo
Valverde on Tortosa
Contador on Muchachos and Angliru
Lopez on the Sierra Nevada
Porte on the PN and Romandie MTFs
Dumoulin on Oropa
Alarcon (didn't watch Portugal, so I don't know how good/bad it actually was)
Barguil on the Izoard - Maybe
Aru on La Planche and Mont du Chat (Dauphine) - maybe

Then you might get Froome - Cumbre del Sol and Xorret de Catí.

Porte got beaten by S.Yates in the Queen stage of Romandie - That's hardly an alien performance.
yaco

01 Oct 2017 16:31

As usual the whole Sky team remind me of US Postal-Discovery. Not only they systematically had 3/4 riders at the Tour when other teams had zero (remember how Aru lost the yellow jersey), but people tend to forget that they lost Thomas immediately. Also without falling, most likely Thomas and Landa would have made the field explode at the Giro. Then Moscon, Viviani.
Overal, if somebody comes from Mars, team Sky comes from outside the Solar system!
User avatar franic

01 Oct 2017 17:23

yaco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Netserk wrote:Afaik, it has only been slow in the high mountain stages in the GTs. Fast everywhere else.

Giro: Blockhaus and Oropa were super fast. Etna was headwind. Umbrail is hard to tell because it was such a high and hard stage (probably up there with Mont du Chat in the Tour). Rest of the third week was all weak to ok.

Tour: Aru on la Planche, Contador on the Croix de Fer, and the Izoard across the field were pretty fast. But I agree, not the strongest climbing performances of the year.

Vuelta: All short climbs were fast. All the big ones pretty slow. I think all of Calar Alto, Pandera, Sierra Nevada and the Angliru had headwinds. Froome must've sacrificed a large number of bunnies to the cycling gods

In a random order

Valverde on Tortosa
Dumoulin on Oropa

Porte got beaten by S.Yates in the Queen stage of Romandie - That's hardly an alien performance.

The guy attacked before the final climb and had a headstart, in the end Porte was over 45 seconds faster on a 7.5min long climb, that's a lot.
http://www.climbing-records.com/2017/05/richie-from-another-planet.html
User avatar Mayomaniac

01 Oct 2017 17:59

Mayomaniac wrote:
yaco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

In a random order

Valverde on Tortosa
Dumoulin on Oropa

The guy attacked before the final climb and had a headstart, in the end Porte was over 45 seconds faster on a 7.5min long climb, that's a lot.

So What ? S.Yates used up energy by attacking on the second last climb and then conserved energy on the final climb, after he found out Porte was on a rampage on the final climb - And Porte lost the stage to S.Yates and was actually second on GC before the final stage ITT - It was not a wow performance by Roche, unless you think S.Yates is a superstar.
yaco

01 Oct 2017 19:53

yaco wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:
yaco wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

In a random order

Valverde on Tortosa
Dumoulin on Oropa

So What ? S.Yates used up energy by attacking on the second last climb and then conserved energy on the final climb, after he found out Porte was on a rampage on the final climb - And Porte lost the stage to S.Yates and was actually second on GC before the final stage ITT - It was not a wow performance by Roche, unless you think S.Yates is a superstar.

It was a wow performance! He dropped the whole field on relatively easy and short climb. Yates could've beat him only becuase it flatten up in the end and he was in slipstream of Porte all the time.
User avatar Blanco

02 Oct 2017 01:10

I actually thought Porte on the last climb of the Dauphine was more alien than in Romandie. He was isolated in the valley and still roasted the best climbers in the world all approaching top form.
User avatar The Hegelian

Re:

02 Oct 2017 14:16

The Hegelian wrote:I actually thought Porte on the last climb of the Dauphine was more alien than in Romandie. He was isolated in the valley and still roasted the best climbers in the world all approaching top form.

You are right - The Dauphine performance was more impressive than Romandie.
yaco

03 Oct 2017 07:00

Most Clinic posters who can't watch cycling normally. In a race, someone will cross the line first, remember...
Pennino

Re:

03 Oct 2017 22:57

Pennino wrote:Most Clinic posters who can't watch cycling normally. In a race, someone will cross the line first, remember...

"Normally" as in "abstracting our interpretation of events from history, causation and well established knowledge?"

I'm happy with such a definition, but it follows that normal is a synonym for ignorance. In that, interpreting events without historical, causal, institutional, political and economic context is to see them in some realm of imagination or fantasy. And I agree that sport is designed (rather carefully) to entice us into such a realm.

I'm happy to be alien in rejecting this way of viewing.....
User avatar The Hegelian

Re: Top Alien Awards 2017

04 Oct 2017 21:02

The TT worlds- Dumoulin was insane- but I actuallly though Roglic was pretty funny with the bike swap and sprinting up the final climb too. I'll spread my vote across those two.

If that hadnt happened then Poels/Froome double act up the Angrilu was ridiculous.
noddy69

05 Oct 2017 00:12

Not too many in '17...

Valverde
Dumoulin - Blockhaus
Barguil - Izoard
Contador - Angliru? (one last one for the road)

Not much, really.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

08 Oct 2017 04:00

I said in the OP 'can be updated in lieu of the autumn classics.'

So, I'm dropping Gilbert's RVV + spring to number 2, and just having at number one: Moscon's season.

At 23, to hold his Vuelta form into the 3rd week was phenomenal. And then to hold it to the WC and then Lombardia.......wow.
User avatar The Hegelian

08 Oct 2017 08:07

noddy69 wrote:The TT worlds- Dumoulin was insane- but I actuallly though Roglic was pretty funny with the bike swap and sprinting up the final climb too. I'll spread my vote across those two.

If that hadnt happened then Poels/Froome double act up the Angrilu was ridiculous.

But not Bertie :confused:
rick james

08 Oct 2017 19:01

rick james wrote:
noddy69 wrote:The TT worlds- Dumoulin was insane- but I actuallly though Roglic was pretty funny with the bike swap and sprinting up the final climb too. I'll spread my vote across those two.

Didn't say it wasn't but at least he looked fatigued- the two lads sauntered up and could have caught him easily if they went earlier. they were talking away, on the way up arguably the hardest climb in the pro ranks and their performance was in my mind a level above Contadors, albeit without winning.
noddy69

08 Oct 2017 21:45

rick james wrote:

Contador was a red flag, but the Froome/Poels show on Angliru was one of the most ridiculously OTT displays we've seen for a while now, even for Sky. Deep down you know it too.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

09 Oct 2017 08:17

Angliru Poels in particular looked ridiculously comfortable, strolling and chatting through the steepest lines, Sky clearly gifted Bertie, good PR given the hysteria on the day.

Award of the year tho - Gilbert/RVV 50k solo, not seen since the days of Merckx at his best. Given todays formulaic racing - Absolutely Ludicrous.
rainman

10 Oct 2017 09:32

Moscon is in a league of his own, he's so alien that I'm pretty sure Sigourney Weaver was on San Fermo last Saturday.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

10 Oct 2017 16:05

42x16ss wrote:
rick james wrote:

Contador was a red flag, but the Froome/Poels show on Angliru was one of the most ridiculously OTT displays we've seen for a while now, even for Sky. Deep down you know it too.

They were in big groups hardly at the front until almost the last 1.5k....
rick james

11 Oct 2017 04:28

Being at the front is really moot here. This is angliru we are talking about, chrissakes.

What is relevant is freshness, which they had plenty of. Others, not so much.
User avatar meat puppet

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic