Register

Norman Alvis - Master's Hour Recoed

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

20 Nov 2017 15:34

UncleChainwhip wrote:Recent Irish national record shows how fast Kevin and Norm really are............
Two different, contrasting approaches, Kevin---amateur, time, money, multiple peak season, years of TT perseverance, no children and support of NorCal racing/anti-ageing posse. .

Could you be a little more clear here? Are you accusing me of something illicit?

Alex, do you know if Norm is the only ex-pro to have a master's Hour record? Do you know any other countries which allow this? USA has allowed ex-pro riders to vie for National championships since Thurlow Rodgers, retired from La Vie Claire, swayed a rule change in the 1980's.........

Former pro Danny Nellisen won the Amateur road race at the 1995 worlds in Columbia. He was a former pro at the time who had taken a year off to a heart arrythmia or something. He ended up signing another pro contract after that.

Kent Bostick still holds the 45-49 world hour record. I am pretty sure he was a pro on Shaklee, but can't find anything definitive one way or the other. He is however a former 1996 olympian.

Mike McCarthy just broke the 45-49 3km record this week in Aguascalientes. 3:16.

Malcom Elliot won the master's world championship in Austria in about 2005 or 2006.

I don't think it's a US thing, it's a UCI thing.

BTW, maybe the Irish guy just isn't that good???

Kevin
User avatar nslckevin

20 Nov 2017 18:54

Whoa!
No accusation or innuendo, only compliments for your fine accomplishments. Appreciate your input here as i'm sure many others do. NorCal has been the largest strongest district in the USA since the days of ABL and also leading innovators in technology, nutrition and exercise physiology. To NOT give them credit would be an injustice & if Norm would have accessed them, his distance would have likely been furthered.
The adage 'Once a pro, always a pro' does not applied to modern competition. It originated from things like superior resources, residual benefits from a pro career and experiences with collusion/payoffs. 1992 was the last amateur cycling Olympics, pressured by other Olympic sports and many years of state-sponsored amateur athletes. USA leads the way in having the first 30 year old masters races, the first to allow pros compete as masters at national championships, allowing foreigners to compete/influence pro national championships and recently---allow foreigners to win state/district championships. What's next?
Great news about Mike, ex-WC and special talent still. Thanks for your info on other pro riders with veteran success.
UncleChainwhip

20 Nov 2017 22:28

Michael Mowett is the guy to check with as he's compiled a database of all hour record rides conducted under UCI rules.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

Re:

20 Nov 2017 22:52

UncleChainwhip wrote:Whoa!
No accusation or innuendo, only compliments for your fine accomplishments. Appreciate your input here as i'm sure many others do. NorCal has been the largest strongest district in the USA since the days of ABL and also leading innovators in technology, nutrition and exercise physiology. To NOT give them credit would be an injustice & if Norm would have accessed them, his distance would have likely been furthered.
The adage 'Once a pro, always a pro' does not applied to modern competition. It originated from things like superior resources, residual benefits from a pro career and experiences with collusion/payoffs. 1992 was the last amateur cycling Olympics, pressured by other Olympic sports and many years of state-sponsored amateur athletes. USA leads the way in having the first 30 year old masters races, the first to allow pros compete as masters at national championships, allowing foreigners to compete/influence pro national championships and recently---allow foreigners to win state/district championships. What's next?
Great news about Mike, ex-WC and special talent still. Thanks for your info on other pro riders with veteran success.

Thanks. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but the phrase "anti-aging posse" makes me think of **** like this.

http://www.manclinics.com/

Something I want no part of.
User avatar nslckevin

Re: Re:

21 Nov 2017 04:10

nslckevin wrote:
UncleChainwhip wrote:Recent Irish national record shows how fast Kevin and Norm really are............
Two different, contrasting approaches, Kevin---amateur, time, money, multiple peak season, years of TT perseverance, no children and support of NorCal racing/anti-ageing posse. .

Could you be a little more clear here? Are you accusing me of something illicit?

Alex, do you know if Norm is the only ex-pro to have a master's Hour record? Do you know any other countries which allow this? USA has allowed ex-pro riders to vie for National championships since Thurlow Rodgers, retired from La Vie Claire, swayed a rule change in the 1980's.........

Former pro Danny Nellisen won the Amateur road race at the 1995 worlds in Columbia. He was a former pro at the time who had taken a year off to a heart arrythmia or something. He ended up signing another pro contract after that.

Kent Bostick still holds the 45-49 world hour record. I am pretty sure he was a pro on Shaklee, but can't find anything definitive one way or the other. He is however a former 1996 olympian.

Mike McCarthy just broke the 45-49 3km record this week in Aguascalientes. 3:16.

Malcom Elliot won the master's world championship in Austria in about 2005 or 2006.

I don't think it's a US thing, it's a UCI thing.

BTW, maybe the Irish guy just isn't that good???

Kevin

Kevin, I know I have been harsh towards you here in the past, mostly because I have very little faith in the 40-55 group in CA, and almost less for the same here in Boulder. Guys tearing legs off week in and week out but wouldn't race Master Nats if they were in our backyard. Your contribution to this thread has been significant. Thanks. Especially for bringing up Malcolm Elliot. Does that clown (said with affection) still live in CA? He was the first person I ever knew that drove around the country to races with a bike strapped to the back of a Porsche.
User avatar spetsa

Re:

22 Nov 2017 22:42

GraftPunk wrote:Couldn't renting a hyperbaric tent a couple of weeks in advance help in the acclimation involved?

Hyperbaric :eek:
Le breton

Re:

27 Nov 2017 22:27

UncleChainwhip wrote:Let's rally behind Norm to go to Aguascalientes next year!
Don't let go of that bike yet Alvis. Get a pair of space legs for Christmas and hire Colby P. instead of Tommy D.
Proven to be a faster track and you have the experience from 2 this year. Bring on wind tunnel testing and the CA anti-aging supplies that are legal.
Tell wifey its a vacation & you'll get the pass for sure.
Should i kickstart the crowdfunding?

NO!! :eek:

Let's all tell his wife that he is spending his son's college fund on this record setting! It wouldn't be fair if he went to Mexico next year.

He might beat me! :lol:
User avatar nslckevin

Previous

Return to The Clinic