Register

Study suggests Tramadol enhances TT performance by ~ 5%

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Study suggests Tramadol enhances TT performance by ~ 5%

06 Nov 2017 10:41

thehog wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:
bigcog wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:From 2013
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-calls-for-tramadol-ban-in-peloton/
Team Sky, who are not a member of the MPCC, has backed a call for the substance to be regulated through the TUE system but added that as a team it has prescribed Tramadol throughout the season, but only in what it calls "appropriate scenarios".

Wondered if Froome's 2014 crashes happened because of "medicine".

Yeah, taking "medicine" will cause a rider in another team to take out your front wheel :rolleyes: which is what caused his first crash in the TDF and bust his wrists.

More a Sky fault. They should have been all around Froome in the peloton, not hanging out all across the peloton. Having said that, when someone swerves that way, there's not much you can do.

Bit off topic but do you who the rider was who lost control of the bike and swerved to the right? Was it somebody from OPQS?

Froome was riding hard on left hand side of the road close to a ditch, he was poorly positioned. That yearjust prior to the Dauphine was when his Romandie TUE was revealed. He wasn’t the same rider at that time. Then his asthma was revealed. Froome looked like a guy who has just been ‘found out’. Then he crashed out of the Tour.

Mod hat on:

I'm quoting TheHog but this is directed at everyone. Do not turn this into another Froome thread please.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

06 Nov 2017 16:51

Only time I'd taken Tramadol from a friend for a back pain, I ended up seeing double next freaking day in work, got sent home for health and safety as I was developing paranoia then went straight to the pub to chill out at around 1100 hrs. Never again

Should add that the walk in to work that day was absolutely stunning, it was blue sky, early morning sun and summer heat and I felt amazing, then human interaction brought everything to **** very quickly.
Choppy Warburton

06 Nov 2017 20:57

bigcog wrote:
Team Sky, who are not a member of the MPCC, has backed a call for the substance to be regulated through the TUE system but added that as a team it has prescribed Tramadol throughout the season, but only in what it calls "appropriate scenarios".

Yeah, taking "medicine" will cause a rider in another team to take out your front wheel :rolleyes: which is what caused his first crash in the TDF and bust his wrists.

It looked more like a touch of shoulders.

Also, could it not be possible that only Froome’s crash on the Arenberg stage may have been caused in part by tramadol? That’s the more likely one IMO, as I’d want some painkillers if I was expected to ride on after that initial crash.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

06 Nov 2017 21:17

42x16ss wrote:
bigcog wrote:

It looked more like a touch of shoulders.

Also, could it not be possible that only Froome’s crash on the Arenberg stage may have been caused in part by tramadol? That’s the more likely one IMO, as I’d want some painkillers if I was expected to ride on after that initial crash.

he already had a wrist bandage when he started the stage. the wet roads were his problem. There is another GT contender who has fallen often since 2014 ....
CTQ

07 Nov 2017 20:13

budegan

Re:

07 Nov 2017 20:28

budegan wrote:https://twitter.com/_SamHarrison_/status/887790536022773762

(Sam was part of GB set up on track, now a Wiggins rider)
Is there a point in linking to a Tweet that links to a Tweet that no longer exists?
One more time: is the Clinic Brains Trust now in the business of diagnosing when someone has been using Tramadol based on the most useless evidence possible?
User avatar fmk_RoI

07 Nov 2017 20:59

Let me break it down for you buddy.

What you have in the first link is a GB rider saying that there's a problem with Tramadol. Regardless of whether the Tweet within the tweet is there or not it's relevant to this thread, and I would have thought interesting to people visiting here.

My comment in the second link: "MAYBE NOT".

BTW congratulations on writing something that isn't as typo strewn as your published material :lol:
budegan

07 Nov 2017 21:24

In some of the articles implicating tramadol in cycling crashes, authors make statements such as "like other opioids, tramadol causes drowsiness", as if that is a matter of fact, and furthermore a factual cause of crashing. I don't really believe it - but I can see how there might be a correlation, more like:

- on tramadol, feeling over-confident could cause a rider to "zone out" mentally in a situation where they should actually have been more nervous about their bike handling (blunting of fear response)
- dopers not being on a consistent dose of tramadol, for example using a huge amount on a certain day, then "coming down" from the high when the dose is discontinued on another day (withdrawal symptoms)
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re:

08 Nov 2017 14:26

budegan wrote:Let me break it down for you buddy.

What you have in the first link is a GB rider saying that there's a problem with Tramadol. Regardless of whether the Tweet within the tweet is there or not it's relevant to this thread, and I would have thought interesting to people visiting here.

My comment in the second link: "MAYBE NOT".

BTW congratulations on writing something that isn't as typo strewn as your published material :lol:

he gets worked up whenever we mention someone from GB in this section.
Craigee

08 Nov 2017 14:30

No need for tests regarding Tramadol. Just hook all the GB and Sky riders to a lie detector and ask them if they improve on it. My guess is it is performance enhancing just on the fact they all take a lot of it in competition and are urged by their staff to take it. Just one of their marginal gains.
Craigee

Re:

08 Nov 2017 15:18

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:In some of the articles implicating tramadol in cycling crashes, authors make statements such as "like other opioids, tramadol causes drowsiness", as if that is a matter of fact, and furthermore a factual cause of crashing. I don't really believe it - but I can see how there might be a correlation, more like:

- on tramadol, feeling over-confident could cause a rider to "zone out" mentally in a situation where they should actually have been more nervous about their bike handling (blunting of fear response)
- dopers not being on a consistent dose of tramadol, for example using a huge amount on a certain day, then "coming down" from the high when the dose is discontinued on another day (withdrawal symptoms)

You make good points. Opioids, like any medications, can affect people differently. In the 80's I was a farrier. Craigee can appreciate that. Being too tall and thin and shoeing many, many horses I developed serious back problems. I was given Tylenol and Codeine for pain. Unike others, it turned me into a working machine. No pain at all. It didn't blunt my senses at all, except maybe common sense.
So I could totally see it blocking the pain for cyclists and have them oush past that point to something that could be dangerous.
And as an added bonus, couple beers with the drugs and I was still good. Didn't work like that, but I did not get drowsy at all. Just felt like Superman.
User avatar veganrob

Re: Re:

08 Nov 2017 15:40

veganrob wrote: So I could totally see it blocking the pain for cyclists and have them push past that point to something that could be dangerous. And as an added bonus, couple beers with the drugs and I was still good. Didn't work like that, but I did not get drowsy at all. Just felt like Superman.

Yes, it could also be mentally destabilizing, by affecting mood, sleep habits, energy ... if the dopers don't maintain a steady level of the tramadol. For a bunch of riders to be jacked-up on tramadol one day, then "falling asleep" on their bikes another day, when they stop taking the drug, that would be a very believable scenario.

If I were British, I would say that for tramadol to be permitted in pro sport is "bollocks"... it's so obvious why teams who are looking for short-cut methods would be tempted to use it. Since I found out about this subject I have been surprised by the media coverage on how the tramadol has been used as a loophole in the doping rules
ClassicomanoLuigi

08 Nov 2017 17:51

Tramadol is not a loophole in the rules - For some reason WADA considers it to be a non-prohibited substance.
yaco

10 Nov 2017 13:51

Well, it's legal.
DanielSong39

Previous

Return to The Clinic