Register

Study suggests Tramadol enhances TT performance by ~ 5%

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

12 Oct 2018 05:52

warrior4life wrote:I was a long time prescribed user due to back pain, up to 400mg per day over many years.
Eventually the performance gains dissapear but it's always a big appetite suppressant, it hugely increases motivation to train and aids sleep.
It's a real bugger to get off though

Glad to hear you're off it. Did not know Tramadol is Boko Haram's drug of choice -
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44306086
Another painkiller, Tramadol, is fuelling widespread addiction - and as the BBC's Stephanie Hegarty found out, it may even be fuelling insurgency in the north-east.
So why is it so prevalent in Nigeria? Firstly it is cheap - in Nigeria it's about $0.05 for 200mg as opposed to about $2.50 in the US, and secondly its ability to help people work. Across Africa, many people rely still on manual labour to get paid.

Mr Ayuba believes religion may have a part to play as well. Alcohol is forbidden in the majority Muslim communities of north-east Nigeria, but there is less of a taboo around prescription drugs.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

20 Nov 2018 13:33

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lappartient-keen-to-end-giro-ditalia-and-tour-of-california-clash/
"Tramadol is a problem in cycling, we needed to do something about it," Lappartient said during the Road World Championships in Innsbruck in September. "Two-thirds of the tramadol detected in tests of athletes is found in cyclists and five per cent of cyclists tested show positive results for it.

"It’ll be banned under our rules," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "The rule will come into force not from January 1, but I think, from March, in time for Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico. There are medical, technical and legal aspects we have to examine carefully with our medical commission. We won’t apply the WADA anti-doping rules, it won’t be an anti-doping test, we’ll use our health rules.

"The test only needs the taking of a drop of blood from a finger. It will be done before or after a race. Whoever is over the threshold will be excluded from the race or disqualified from the results if the test is done afterwards."

Yeah, we'll see in March what happens ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to The Clinic