Register

Another NHL player was diagnosed with blood clot

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Another NHL player was diagnosed with blood clot

29 Dec 2017 11:12

https://www.tsn.ca/rangers-f-kreider-out-with-blood-clot-1.954035

Over the last few years, many NHL players have been diagnosed with clots. Obviously the american sports running a league-wide doping program. What causes these blood clots? EPO?
Aimar16

Re: Another NHL player was diagnosed with blood clot

29 Dec 2017 15:32

"If you read through the list of acquired risk factors, they all fit the general job description of a hockey player. Trauma (blocked shots): check. Surgical procedures: check. Immobilization: check. Pascal Dupuis, for example, suffered a major knee injury in late December 2013 in a game in Ottawa. Flying back to Pittsburgh his knee was immobilized, which led to initial clot formation in his affected leg. In the 2008 playoffs, Kimmo Timonen blocked a shot by Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, leading to a blood clot in his left ankle."

A lot of the clots seem directly related to injuries caused by collisions with people and pucks. I don't see NHL players using EPO. Doing other things maybe, but fast twitch and strength are far more important than endurance for sure.
NorthAmericanScum

29 Dec 2017 18:46

In the last couple of years, who had blood clots: Kreider, Stamkos, Vasilevskiy, Timonen, Dupuis, Fleischman, Letang, McCormick, Ortmeyer... definitely more

I think the number is too high.. this can not be explained by 'risk factors'. Not to mention that there are no such problems in other hockey leagues.

Endurance is also very important. There are 82 games and 170-180 days in the regular season + playoffs
Aimar16

02 Jan 2018 00:17

Perhaps in the quest for recovery. It is a long season where you get banged up a lot. So endurance in that sense absolutely. You see a lot of NFL players get popped for PEDs coming off of injuries.
NorthAmericanScum

02 Jan 2018 03:40

Testosterone also boosts the body's natural EPO production, and men on TRT are usually instructed to test their hematocrit periodically and donate blood if the RBC is too high.
proffate

11 Jan 2018 15:48

NorthAmericanScum wrote:Perhaps in the quest for recovery. It is a long season where you get banged up a lot. So endurance in that sense absolutely. You see a lot of NFL players get popped for PEDs coming off of injuries.

Gary Roberts:
It’s all about recovery now. It’s all about, ‘What can I do that’s going to give me the best chance of feeling good for the next game?’ That’s the key.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/07/29/feschuk_roberts_shares_his_secrets_for_hockey_longevity.html
Bunyak

Re:

11 Jan 2018 22:54

proffate wrote:Testosterone also boosts the body's natural EPO production, and men on TRT are usually instructed to test their hematocrit periodically and donate blood if the RBC is too high.

While i don't dispute the possibility of direct blood doping as a whole, this seems to be the best mehtod. Testosterone is pretty much king in male performance enhancement. Not only gains in strength, fat loss and recovery, but also increasing hematocrit.
ppanther92

Return to The Clinic