Log in:  

Register

CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

05 Apr 2018 18:35

fauniera wrote:I'm only here for the forum and have very little interest in the CN mainpage. So no, i wouldn't pay.


+1
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,740
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

10 Apr 2018 15:03

Only cycling content i can think of that is worth paying for is inrng
saunaking
Junior Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 21 Jul 2010 23:43
Location: canada

11 Apr 2018 19:10

inrng is quiet good alright, i paid a one off contribution to CTips after number of good articles and i like the daily digest. For cyclingnews id probably make a donation if i found i was using it for more than just casual news and race reports, but after the event.
This weeks blog covers Israel Cycling, women's cycling welfare, and I try not get started on World Tour field size. http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/letstalkcycling-muses/ :D
User avatar manafana
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,538
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:29

19 Apr 2018 20:05

I wouldn't pay, I'm mainly here for the race reporting and forums. I get monetizing, but thats going to drive a lot of viewers to eurosport or velonews, thereby cutting the legs off click ads and reviews, etc. Just sayin'.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk
Member
 
Posts: 653
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

20 Apr 2018 00:39

1. Here for the forum where the real knowledge, commentary, news, and reporting really lives.

2. Other sites are faster for results and most articles here are GB biased anyway and you can read very little about anything else.

3. There is more than enough ads and junk on this website to justify any additional cost.

BTW I used to subscribe the printed version, but in addition to the high cost here in the USA, the delay was so significant that everything was just to dated when I received it. Otherwise, good quality magazine. Just don't like reading old news.
User avatar Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,505
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

22 Apr 2018 12:51

Haven't seen it,So no, i wouldn't pay.
setareh238
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 22 Apr 2018 12:46

23 Apr 2018 03:46

I say do a paywall and make it pricey. You guys don't want or need the forum traffic anyways. Hang a big price tag on the paywall. You can always reduce if you have to. My $0.02
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,738
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 16:47
Location: Southern California

23 Apr 2018 12:32

I haven't noticed anything.
Wouldn't pay, mostly here for the forum and the "top level" news - race reports, start lists, and such.

Jancouver wrote:2. Other sites are faster for results and most articles here are GB biased anyway and you can read very little about anything else.


Huh, I've always felt they're very US biased, makes sense since they're a - I think - mainly USA based page.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,997
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

30 Apr 2018 20:56

LBJ survived yesterday against Indiana. Sure he won't do that against Toronto, even though Raptors aren't that scary anyways, but Cleveland really suck outside James.

Meanwhile, Rockets and Warriors will cruise to WCF finals. Hoping that Philly will beat Boston, they should be the favoured team against the Celtics without Irving and such.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 8,498
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

01 May 2018 09:00

RedheadDane wrote:I haven't noticed anything.
Wouldn't pay, mostly here for the forum and the "top level" news - race reports, start lists, and such.

Jancouver wrote:2. Other sites are faster for results and most articles here are GB biased anyway and you can read very little about anything else.


Huh, I've always felt they're very US biased, makes sense since they're a - I think - mainly USA based page.


If you mean this site, it is indeed GB based.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,421
Joined: 05 Mar 2009 14:18
Location: Germany

Re:

01 May 2018 09:01

Valv.Piti wrote:LBJ survived yesterday against Indiana. Sure he won't do that against Toronto, even though Raptors aren't that scary anyways, but Cleveland really suck outside James.

Meanwhile, Rockets and Warriors will cruise to WCF finals. Hoping that Philly will beat Boston, they should be the favoured team against the Celtics without Irving and such.


I think you might have posted this in the wrong thread. :p
Unless you're suggesting there will be NFL(?) content behind the paywall? Would be a rather interesting business model:
"Pay money to get news about a sport completely unrelated to cycling!"
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,997
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

01 May 2018 09:11

setareh238 wrote:Haven't seen it,So no, i wouldn't pay.


Possibly the most nonsensical comment I've seen in a long time, and I read the US politics thread.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,959
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

01 May 2018 13:03

King Boonen wrote:
setareh238 wrote:Haven't seen it,So no, i wouldn't pay.


Possibly the most nonsensical comment I've seen in a long time, and I read the US politics thread.

It's an interesting first post....
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,532
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

01 May 2018 13:32

Think I might have seen it and just merrily clicked on "no thanks, not interested" and gave it no further thought. So that's that, but what has happened recently is I have to whitelist and pause my adblocker if I want to read the main site. Don't know if it's the particular adblocker I'm using or whatnot, but it's merely a minor nuisance.

The forums still appear to be whitelist-free, so that is good.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,942
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re:

01 May 2018 14:23

Tricycle Rider wrote:Think I might have seen it and just merrily clicked on "no thanks, not interested" and gave it no further thought. So that's that, but what has happened recently is I have to whitelist and pause my adblocker if I want to read the main site. Don't know if it's the particular adblocker I'm using or whatnot, but it's merely a minor nuisance.

The forums still appear to be whitelist-free, so that is good.


For now.... :twisted: :lol:
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,532
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

02 May 2018 21:23

RedheadDane wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:LBJ survived yesterday against Indiana. Sure he won't do that against Toronto, even though Raptors aren't that scary anyways, but Cleveland really suck outside James.

Meanwhile, Rockets and Warriors will cruise to WCF finals. Hoping that Philly will beat Boston, they should be the favoured team against the Celtics without Irving and such.


I think you might have posted this in the wrong thread. :p
Unless you're suggesting there will be NFL(?) content behind the paywall? Would be a rather interesting business model:
"Pay money to get news about a sport completely unrelated to cycling!"



NBA, but that would be funny for a cycling page to have non cycling sports news behind the paywall.
User avatar Koronin
Member
 
Posts: 1,280
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

03 May 2018 07:27

Ads are here to stay for obvious reasons. I don't notice much bias in the reporting but I notice more fan bias when their favorite riders don't win. I would pay a small amount. I think that side of things is only going to become more entrenched especially as websites become more popular. People that used to buy newspapers every day are probably more okay about paying something. Some younger people want everything for free it seems.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,683
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bustedknuckle, jmdirt and 5 guests

Back to top