Log in:  

Register

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

10 Aug 2018 20:20

Armstrong face-plants while setting some Strava KOM records, goes to the hospital
https://patch.com/colorado/across-co/lance-armstrong-busts-face-co-bike-crash-laughs-it

This is considered newsworthy in local-media sites, and even other sites unrelated to cycling. Saw this article by accident as a link in the margin features, while reading about the California wildfires news
So Lance is still hanging around, seeking relevance and attention, having some success with the latter part
ClassicomanoLuigi
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 03:20

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

10 Aug 2018 20:32

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:Armstrong face-plants while setting some Strava KOM records, goes to the hospital
https://patch.com/colorado/across-co/lance-armstrong-busts-face-co-bike-crash-laughs-it

This is considered newsworthy in local-media sites, and even other sites unrelated to cycling. Saw this article by accident as a link in the margin features, while reading about the California wildfires news
So Lance is still hanging around, seeking relevance and attention, having some success with the latter part


Thanks for that. I saw the article but I didn't click the link. That's pretty sad that he's posting KOM times on Strava.
Elagabalus
Member
 
Posts: 537
Joined: 21 May 2010 19:38

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

11 Aug 2018 00:18

Face Plants are unfortunate, but a reality of the sport.

Also clavicle fractures (collar bone) ... Sport is (usually) a risk.

We have all broken at least one.

(I've broken 1 once and the other twice.)

What risks did Lance embrace?

Which did he supercede?

Hm...

Sympathy?

Food for thought.
User avatar TubularBills
Member
 
Posts: 962
Joined: 15 Sep 2010 04:17
Location: Guest

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

11 Aug 2018 01:47

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:Armstrong face-plants while setting some Strava KOM records, goes to the hospital
https://patch.com/colorado/across-co/lance-armstrong-busts-face-co-bike-crash-laughs-it

This is considered newsworthy in local-media sites, and even other sites unrelated to cycling. Saw this article by accident as a link in the margin features, while reading about the California wildfires news
So Lance is still hanging around, seeking relevance and attention, having some success with the latter part


C’mon, CL. You can loathe Lance if you want, but what’s with the silliness in implying that Lance is not relevant in pro cycling. You’re trying to fit a twin fitted sheet on a king mattress, brutha.
Alpe73
Member
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 27 Dec 2012 01:23

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

11 Aug 2018 03:05

User avatar TubularBills
Member
 
Posts: 962
Joined: 15 Sep 2010 04:17
Location: Guest

23 Aug 2018 09:56

User avatar Lexman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,849
Joined: 02 Jul 2011 20:34
Location: Oise (France)

Re:

23 Aug 2018 11:48


The article says the US government wants about $1.6 million from Bruyneel, with about $1,228,700 for fraud plus $369,000 in civil penalties. But a default judgment in absentia since Bruyneel ignored the case and didn't try to defend himself. I guess Bruyneel is not coming back to the USA and doesn't have any US assets to be seized, so they would have to pursue him in Europe
ClassicomanoLuigi
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 03:20

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

25 Aug 2018 17:09

How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/eddy-merckx-jersey-sells-for-4200-at-auction/
Historic bikes might be worth a lot



Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.
User avatar 86TDFWinner
Member
 
Posts: 1,698
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 21:10
Location: Southern California

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2018 17:42

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:I guess Bruyneel is not coming back to the USA and doesn't have any US assets to be seized, so they would have to pursue him in Europe
They can't, most reports say. He just has to avoid having any US assets. Or visiting Texas.

Remember when he wanted to become an thought leader for businesses, selling the story of his successes as lessons for management on teh US lecture circuit? Such innocent days.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,789
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

25 Aug 2018 17:56

86TDFWinner wrote:How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/eddy-merckx-jersey-sells-for-4200-at-auction/
Historic bikes might be worth a lot



Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.
Four grand's not a bad price when you consider a) he spent something like ten days in yellow in 1975 (that's a lot of jerseys) and b) he had what was it, ninety-something days in yellow throughout his career (that's an awful lot of jerseys)?

LA's Damien Hirst 'butterfly bike' sold at auction for a cool half a mil... Another of his bikes in the same auction approached a quarter of a million. Several other bikes he owned sold for north of a hundred thousand dollars.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,789
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

03 Sep 2018 07:03

fmk_RoI wrote:
86TDFWinner wrote:How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/eddy-merckx-jersey-sells-for-4200-at-auction/
Historic bikes might be worth a lot



Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.
Four grand's not a bad price when you consider a) he spent something like ten days in yellow in 1975 (that's a lot of jerseys) and b) he had what was it, ninety-something days in yellow throughout his career (that's an awful lot of jerseys)?

LA's Damien Hirst 'butterfly bike' sold at auction for a cool half a mil... Another of his bikes in the same auction approached a quarter of a million. Several other bikes he owned sold for north of a hundred thousand dollars.


I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.
User avatar 86TDFWinner
Member
 
Posts: 1,698
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 21:10
Location: Southern California

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

06 Sep 2018 19:19

86TDFWinner wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:
86TDFWinner wrote:How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/eddy-merckx-jersey-sells-for-4200-at-auction/
Historic bikes might be worth a lot



Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.
Four grand's not a bad price when you consider a) he spent something like ten days in yellow in 1975 (that's a lot of jerseys) and b) he had what was it, ninety-something days in yellow throughout his career (that's an awful lot of jerseys)?

LA's Damien Hirst 'butterfly bike' sold at auction for a cool half a mil... Another of his bikes in the same auction approached a quarter of a million. Several other bikes he owned sold for north of a hundred thousand dollars.


I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.


seven
Alpe73
Member
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 27 Dec 2012 01:23

06 Sep 2018 20:16

..now you're making stuff up alpe................

before anyone shoots me down I did check the records.............

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,121
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

09 Sep 2018 01:20

I'd imagine Obree's Old Faithful would fetch quite a decent amount of money. Arguably the most unique famous bike in all of cycling, and has a lot of historical significance.

That orange thing Merckx rode the hour record on is probably worth quite a lot.
User avatar Saint Unix
Member
 
Posts: 771
Joined: 14 Feb 2014 11:00
Location: Norway

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

09 Sep 2018 05:48

Alpe73 wrote:
86TDFWinner wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:
86TDFWinner wrote:How about what purists would call 'real' cycling memorabilia, sold at 'real auctions', what was the highest price ever paid at auction for historic bikes, jerseys, etc. ???
Probably not very much for the clothing, if a Merckx yellow jersey sold for £4,200
http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/eddy-merckx-jersey-sells-for-4200-at-auction/
Historic bikes might be worth a lot



Wonder how much LeMond stuff would fetch if he ever decided to sell any of his historic stuff? Those yellow jerseys and prototype Look bikes, I'm sure would fetch a nice sum of cash.
Four grand's not a bad price when you consider a) he spent something like ten days in yellow in 1975 (that's a lot of jerseys) and b) he had what was it, ninety-something days in yellow throughout his career (that's an awful lot of jerseys)?

LA's Damien Hirst 'butterfly bike' sold at auction for a cool half a mil... Another of his bikes in the same auction approached a quarter of a million. Several other bikes he owned sold for north of a hundred thousand dollars.


I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.


seven


Not any more.... :lol:
User avatar 86TDFWinner
Member
 
Posts: 1,698
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 21:10
Location: Southern California

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

10 Sep 2018 11:16

86TDFWinner wrote:I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.
I'm not sure you're quite grasping why LA's bikes sold for what they did. His name was the least of it. Hirst and Nara's names mattered far more.

How many bikes did LeMond have in his 86 victory and how do you prove that any bike is actually his bike from that race?

In general, I would have thought that supply of this stuff exceeds demand - yellow jerseys, team jumpers, bike frames, they're not unique.
Saint Unix wrote:I'd imagine Obree's Old Faithful would fetch quite a decent amount of money. Arguably the most unique famous bike in all of cycling, and has a lot of historical significance.

That orange thing Merckx rode the hour record on is probably worth quite a lot.
Get a unique bike from a unique occasion and have no questions over provenance and you can ask more. But even throttling supply like that I still I think you are facing relatively low demand for this stuff.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,789
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

11 Sep 2018 05:39

fmk_RoI wrote:
86TDFWinner wrote:I can't imagine what LeMonds bike from his first TDF win in 86 would be worth. Keep in mind, he's the first American to ever win the Tour, that's surely more important than anything Wonderboy has done.
I'm not sure you're quite grasping why LA's bikes sold for what they did. His name was the least of it. Hirst and Nara's names mattered far more.

How many bikes did LeMond have in his 86 victory and how do you prove that any bike is actually his bike from that race?

In general, I would have thought that supply of this stuff exceeds demand - yellow jerseys, team jumpers, bike frames, they're not unique.
Saint Unix wrote:I'd imagine Obree's Old Faithful would fetch quite a decent amount of money. Arguably the most unique famous bike in all of cycling, and has a lot of historical significance.

That orange thing Merckx rode the hour record on is probably worth quite a lot.
Get a unique bike from a unique occasion and have no questions over provenance and you can ask more. But even throttling supply like that I still I think you are facing relatively low demand for this stuff.

I totally get what you're saying, and I'm just saying that LeMond could probably fetch a nice sum of money, were he to ever decide to part with that stuff. I'm sure the provenance would check out, as I can't imagine there's that many prototype LOOK bikes from that era, floating around.
User avatar 86TDFWinner
Member
 
Posts: 1,698
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 21:10
Location: Southern California

11 Oct 2018 12:50

Puckfiend
Junior Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 23:58

11 Oct 2018 13:16

That is awesome. Love it
User avatar veganrob
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,482
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 23:15
Location: The D

Re:

Today 09:38

ebandit wrote:..now you're making stuff up alpe................

before anyone shoots me down I did check the records.............

Mark L


You must have a desk job, right?

That which is written is not that which was raced.

Conjure on. ;)
Alpe73
Member
 
Posts: 695
Joined: 27 Dec 2012 01:23

Previous

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Back to top