Register

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

25 Oct 2018 05:39

Bruyneel's letter on CAS decision -
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-banned-for-life-by-cas-says-we-were-children-of-our-era/
In spite of the CAS decision, it is still my goal and my wish to contribute, to help grow my sport and make it better in the years ahead."

Teams lining up to get Bruyneel's "help"?
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

25 Oct 2018 08:16

I think a lifetime ban is fair. Would probably like to see more of them, tbh.

Though, he clearly didn't spill any meaningful beans. I can[t imagine that sentence wouldn't have been mitigated in exchange for some actionable information. The only conclusion you can draw is that in exchange for taking the ban he'll continue to have some kind of employment in the cycling world, whatever it might be. Maybe organizing charity rides...
Bolder

25 Oct 2018 17:05

Puckfiend

Re:

25 Oct 2018 18:31

:D
agree with him completly
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

27 Oct 2018 03:02

The might well be the most concentrated (and most eloquent) mass of snark I ever have read.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement

27 Oct 2018 12:08

CAS: 'Bruyneel was the top of the pyramid.'
Dr. Luis Garcia Del Moral, team doctor of US Postal, provided the court with an email exchange in which Bruyneel asked Del Moral to provide Lance Armstrong with EPO, including a real schedule when the rider had to be doping. The conclusion of CAS was that Bruyneel was the instigator of the doping affair and demanded that his suspension be extended to a lifetime ban.
https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/196770/us-postal-ploegarts-komt-met-belastend-bewijs-bruyneel-was-de-top-van-de-piramide
Tim Booth

27 Oct 2018 18:59

And Dr Moral had his lifetime ban reduced to 5 years - This whole affair with CAS leaves me scratching my head.
yaco

29 Oct 2018 21:35

Yes, Del Moral throwing JB under the bus. Simple defence - Befehl ist Befehl! (is he German or what?). But it worked, ban reduced to five years.

Interesting to know whether USADA has jurisdiction over JB, who knows ... .
User avatar lartiste

30 Oct 2018 09:04

In the latest move podcast, Bruyneel admitted he was essentially already on a lifetime ban from the sport and even with the 10 years ban he would not be involved in cycling again. He has a point. The ban doesn't really affect him, his involvement in cycling ended years ago anyway, the rest is just d!ck waving and back scratching.
samhocking

Re:

30 Oct 2018 10:57

samhocking wrote:In the latest move podcast, Bruyneel admitted he was essentially already on a lifetime ban from the sport and even with the 10 years ban he would not be involved in cycling again. He has a point. The ban doesn't really affect him, his involvement in cycling ended years ago anyway, the rest is just d!ck waving and back scratching.

What you say is true, but SURELY we expect WADA/CAS to follow some sort of legal principles - You have Dr Moral with a sentence, then when he decides to talk, it is then reduced and others have their penalty increased.
yaco

30 Oct 2018 12:31

Reduced sanctions is not unique to this case, it's offered to all isn't it? I'm sure it even exists within WADA's rules that you can have a sentence reduced if information you supply leads to proving others doping violations. In fact wasn't Armstrong and Bruyneel offered this, although more in terms of just coming clean? Obviously Amrstrong is going to protect every $ he can, if he admitted to it all he ends up on the street, so his lawyers would have told him exactly what he needs to do to retain his earnings after the trial. Similar for Bruyneels also,
samhocking

31 Oct 2018 12:31

Wasn't it his legal fees, the desire to dispute every allegation in court, that took a decent bite out of his fortune? Of course that along with all of the endorsement dollars that he ultimately lost. The actual penalties as a result of lost cases in court were likely the smallest of the three.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

31 Oct 2018 17:32

samhocking wrote:Reduced sanctions is not unique to this case, it's offered to all isn't it? I'm sure it even exists within WADA's rules that you can have a sentence reduced if information you supply leads to proving others doping violations. In fact wasn't Armstrong and Bruyneel offered this, although more in terms of just coming clean? Obviously Amrstrong is going to protect every $ he can, if he admitted to it all he ends up on the street, so his lawyers would have told him exactly what he needs to do to retain his earnings after the trial. Similar for Bruyneels also,

You miss the point - Dr Moral offered no assistance at the original hearing - He only offered assistance when WADA appealed to CAS - Dr Moral provides assistance at the first hearing and then you can wear a discount.
yaco

Re: Re:

31 Oct 2018 23:28

yaco wrote:
samhocking wrote:Reduced sanctions is not unique to this case, it's offered to all isn't it? I'm sure it even exists within WADA's rules that you can have a sentence reduced if information you supply leads to proving others doping violations. In fact wasn't Armstrong and Bruyneel offered this, although more in terms of just coming clean? Obviously Amrstrong is going to protect every $ he can, if he admitted to it all he ends up on the street, so his lawyers would have told him exactly what he needs to do to retain his earnings after the trial. Similar for Bruyneels also,

You miss the point - Dr Moral offered no assistance at the original hearing - He only offered assistance when WADA appealed to CAS - Dr Moral provides assistance at the first hearing and then you can wear a discount.

:o
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re: Re:

01 Nov 2018 17:50

glassmoon wrote:
yaco wrote:

:o

That's generally how it works yaco. Bruyneel decided not to rebut the testimony of Dr. del Moral.
samhocking

01 Nov 2018 18:27

LA enters La Ruta de los Conquistadores, a three-day mountain bike race...
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

04 Nov 2018 08:17

fmk_RoI wrote:LA enters La Ruta de los Conquistadores, a three-day mountain bike race...

some pics here https://www.instagram.com/lizkreutz/
pastronef

07 Dec 2018 00:16

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/lance-armstrong-says-his-investment-in-uber-saved-our-family.html

Lost $111 million as a result of his confession but made tens of millions thanks to an early Uber investment. He could end up a billionaire when Uber goes public.
MatParker117

Re:

07 Dec 2018 16:40

MatParker117 wrote:https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/lance-armstrong-says-his-investment-in-uber-saved-our-family.html

Lost $111 million as a result of his confession but made tens of millions thanks to an early Uber investment. He could end up a billionaire when Uber goes public.

he will not be a billionaire. Uber is not going to grow 100x. Personally I believe that it's highly over-valued at the moment and Lance would be wise to get out on a high (via the secondary market). Uber is not and never has been profitable, never will be profitable without jacking up prices, and is only afloat due to VC exuberance and their childish tendency to throw good money after bad.

(You can do some bad math to show he's already a billionaire but let's just take him at his word that he's currently around the tens of millions mark, since none of the numbers are truly public or verifiable. If he were in the billions range I can assure you he'd be flying the bird to everyone in the cycling community and beyond.)
proffate

07 Dec 2018 17:45

Lance's investment into Uber was one of the luckiest things ever to happen to him. Kudos to his advisor on that. Now he can recoup, and pretty much do whatever he likes. He will live like many of those thousands of multi millionaires out there, who will live beyond comfortable well into their 70's. I do not see him entering politics at any level.
User avatar masking_agent

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic