Register

Hall of Shame in Doping | Inaugural Edition

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Hall of Shame in Doping | Inaugural Edition

25 May 2018 21:50

Let the game begin.
User avatar TubularBills

25 May 2018 21:55

Chris Froome
Lance Armstrong
Fabian Cancellara

Those would be my big 3 for now.
DanielSong39

25 May 2018 22:21

LeMond
"I have seen many lean riders in the peloton, but very few Tour winners."
User avatar Pantani Attacks

25 May 2018 22:39

I'll keep it on team level.
Top 3:
Sky, Postal and Kelme
ppanther92

25 May 2018 23:07

Chris Froome
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong

I'll add that I agree with ppanther92 about the 3 teams.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

26 May 2018 00:29

Pantani Attacks wrote:LeMond

+1
User avatar HelmutRoole

Re:

26 May 2018 03:43

ppanther92 wrote:I'll keep it on team level.
Top 3:
Sky, Postal and Kelme
Those three teams have got to be near the top, in terms of pervasive doping and in terms of resulting damage to the sport of cycling as a whole. Agree with all three as deserving to be on such a list of honor !
And will round-out a top-10 in my opinion, in no particular order :

ONCE-Liberty Seguros-Astana
    Rabobank
    Deutsche Telekom-Tmobile
    Mapei
    Festina
    Phonak
    Gewiss
For individual cyclists, that's harder to define... Armstrong obviously takes the number-one spot...
But, requires a lot more thought as to exactly who should be inducted to a Hall of Cycling Shame. Maybe later.
Or, most of the top achievers will end up in this thread, I'm sure
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re: Hall of Shame in Doping | Inaugural Edition

26 May 2018 04:27

TubularBills wrote:Let the game begin.
Femke Van den Driessche gets in the Hall. Or at least an honorable mention for her spectacular achievement at the U23 level
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re:

26 May 2018 04:45

Koronin wrote:Chris Froome
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong
Landis +1

For the individual inductees to the Hall, it depends on the criteria for nomination. I suppose there should be multiple categories, like for many hall-of-fame museums or awards ceremonies...
    Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated
    Doping Doctors: Ferrari, Cecchini, Saiz, Fuentes, etc.
    Most Ridiculous Excuses: Rumsas, Hamilton, Rasmussen, etc.
    Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself
    Broadcasters and Media: Kirby...
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re: Re:

26 May 2018 05:06

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong
Landis +1

For the individual inductees to the Hall, it depends on the criteria for nomination. I suppose there should be multiple categories, like for many hall-of-fame museums or awards ceremonies...
    Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated
    Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself

Most ridiculous Exceses needs it own win. Like the NFL and NHL Halls have different wings for different things this definitely gets it own because cycling doping excuses are the best part of a positive doping test.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

26 May 2018 09:11

ppanther92 wrote:I'll keep it on team level.
Top 3:
Sky, Postal and Kelme

Lefevere teams.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

26 May 2018 23:00

Indurain has to be here. F*cker got away with it too.
User avatar Saint Unix

Re:

27 May 2018 03:28

Pantani :D
Last edited by benzwire on 27 May 2018 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar benzwire

27 May 2018 03:28

LOL, this is really getting good. Love it.

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:

Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated

Most Ridiculous Excuses: Rumsas, Hamilton, Vino, Rasmussen, JTL, Impey, etc.

Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself. Just as the Baseball HOF elects some who weren’t good enough as players or managers, but were pretty good at both, the Cycling HOS would make allowances for riders who weren’t up there with the greats in doping, but added to their reps as DS.

This point is actually immortalized in the last stanza of that famous Spanish song, Take CERA, CERA:

Now I have riders of my own
    They ask their DS, what will I be?
    Will I win classics? Even GTs?
    Here’s what I say to them:

Take CERA, CERA
    Whatever you want, you’ll win
    Your future now begins
    Take CERA, CERA
    And you’ll win, you’ll win

Broadcasters and Media: Liggett, Walsh, Kirby...

Koronin wrote:Most ridiculous Excuses needs it own wing. Like the NFL and NHL Halls have different wings for different things this definitely gets it own because cycling doping excuses are the best part of a positive doping test.

Yes, yes, yes.

The vanishing twin.
The contaminating blood on the road.
JTL and his binge drinking.

But the all-time winner is still that AZ basketball player who tested positive twice, and said the second positive was a result of the first positive persisting in his body—though it was months later, and he had tested negative in between. And he got away with it.

It would be like Froome exceeding the salbutamol limit again in the Giro, and claiming it was salbutamol from the Vuelta that never got excreted, that it suddenly came out during the Giro. So cycling really is better than the NCAA, count your blessings folks, it could be worse.
Merckx index

27 May 2018 04:05

Merckx index wrote:LOL, this is really getting good. Love it.

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:

Historical: So many of the legends of the Hall really should be chosen from the classic era, which we tend to overlook completely. Such as Robic, his cheating and nasty personality made him one of the most hated

Most Ridiculous Excuses: Rumsas, Hamilton, Vino, Rasmussen, JTL, Impey, etc.

Directeurs Sportifs: Bruyneel, Riis, etc. Many who were both doped riders and dope lords of team management... that's also a category unto itself. Just as the Baseball HOF elects some who weren’t good enough as players or managers, but were pretty good at both, the Cycling HOS would make allowances for riders who weren’t up there with the greats in doping, but added to their reps as DS.

This point is actually immortalized in the last stanza of that famous Spanish song, Take CERA, CERA:

Now I have riders of my own
    They ask their DS, what will I be?
    Will I win classics? Even GTs?
    Here’s what I say to them:

Take CERA, CERA
    Whatever you want, you’ll win
    Your future now begins
    Take CERA, CERA
    And you’ll win, you’ll win

Broadcasters and Media: Liggett, Walsh, Kirby...

Koronin wrote:Most ridiculous Excuses needs it own wing. Like the NFL and NHL Halls have different wings for different things this definitely gets it own because cycling doping excuses are the best part of a positive doping test.

Yes, yes, yes.

The vanishing twin.
The contaminating blood on the road.
JTL and his binge drinking.

But the all-time winner is still that AZ basketball player who tested positive twice, and said the second positive was a result of the first positive persisting in his body—though it was months later, and he had tested negative in between. And he got away with it.

It would be like Froome exceeding the salbutamol limit again in the Giro, and claiming it was salbutamol from the Vuelta that never got excreted, that it suddenly came out during the Giro. So cycling really is better than the NCAA, count your blessings folks, it could be worse.

LOL, yeah that one has to be at least near the top of the list.

My nomination is: They tampered with my DNA. (Valverde's reason for requesting a retest of his DNA/blood bag).
User avatar Koronin

27 May 2018 05:48

Floyd is up there for the brazen act. Just like Froome for burning over the top of Domoulin. And then rubbing it in his face at the end. And then expecting Tom to shake his hand after being sh@t upon like *that *

Floyd Froome
AustCyclingFan
Newly Registered Member

27 May 2018 09:00

Riis
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

27 May 2018 10:37

benzwire wrote:

Pantani :D

Everyone knew Pantani was pissing rocket fuel, so he wouldn't be my first pick for hall of shame...same way I wouldn't have Lance my first pick either.

LeMond, Indurain, Roche, Hinault. They should all be top picks, LeMond #1 with his conflicting views and opinions down the years. As well as the fact so many actually believe he was clean. Diarrhoea leg FTW eh?
"I have seen many lean riders in the peloton, but very few Tour winners."
User avatar Pantani Attacks

Re: Hall of Shame in Doping | Inaugural Edition

27 May 2018 12:08

Indurain and Cancellara

Those are two of the biggest that very much to away. Many other of the obvious names have been found out / punished one way or the other..
User avatar Shardi

27 May 2018 12:13

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:
Floyd Landis
Lance Armstrong
Landis +1

Could you tell me more about him; I am from Slovenia havent heard anything about the cheating
topt

Next

Return to The Clinic