Register

The current state of pro cycling - an appraisal

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

01 Dec 2018 03:40

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Pros racing masters category races. Must be HUGE prize money on offer on the masters circuit... not.

These guys are not doping for the prize money, and you know it.

This is reality..people dope for recognition mostly..not money.
the guy crossing the line first in a GranFondo..or a big training crit is not filled with emotion..pride or whatever?
S.Cal has masters caught for doping..back out the numbers it could have never been about money..most " big races " in the US don't have the winner walking w $500 bucks..even sloppy cycling math..w a multi thousand bicycle.@$500-1000 on a uniform..@$100+ dollar helmet..Jersey and bibs @200..shoes..@$150-300..if there is a strap around your chest from anybody..Garmin,Polar or others heart rate is expensive..and pick anybody to measure your wattage...ouch..even the Pioneer unit that fits on the chain rings is priced to kill..gas @$2.50 -4 bucks a gallon..@$30 entry fee minimum..and if you do a S.Cal or NYC Gran Fondo and don't live there..@$100-200 bucks to sleep with roaches at a hotel..
If you train at all..eat up chains,cassettes,tires and coffee and live someplace w running water ,electricity and no adults in bunk beds..Cycling won't pay your bills..you can win 2 times a month in S.Cal and your prize money won't get you gas,parking and dinner..
Prize money for 99.9% of bike racers is a non issue..
I have ridden w guys that have carbon wheels that even 5 race wins wouldn't pay for if every other expense was comp't or covered by a sponsor..
And that link to golf..?..doesn't anybody remember when Tiger used a recovery technique that had his doctor using blood enhancement that was in question for legality.I think in Florida..his doctor left under the cover of darkness..I think they called it..platelet rich plasma injections..Dr.Anthony Galea..another quality dude..
Unchained

05 Dec 2018 11:34

Just as you can't compare my performances with a pros, I don't you can compare amateur doper motivations with pro doper motivations either.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

07 Dec 2018 11:30

King Boonen wrote:Just as you can't compare my performances with a pros, I don't you can compare amateur doper motivations with pro doper motivations either.

Top pros - ego, self-esteem, fame, money (not necessarily in that order)
"Journeyman" pros - to earn a living.
Top amateurs/juniors/espoirs - to try and fulfill their dreams of riding and winning at the top level.
Others - ego, self-esteem.
simoni

08 Dec 2018 10:50

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/erik-zabel-joins-katusha-alpecin-as-performance-director/

brilliant. another whole-life cheater and doper in pro cycling management. that's exactly what cycling needs it seems...
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

08 Jun 2019 15:47

As some of you will be aware, Rapha have recently been seeking to solve cycling's problems. All of them. In a nutshell, they want to turn the sport into F1 and sell it to the private equity firm with the deepest pockets.

As far as doping is concered, PR will fix the problem:
"A powerful opportunity for attracting broader audiences is to make professional cycling more trustworthy by improving its public perception and reputation."
User avatar fmk_RoI

10 Jun 2019 10:03

Surely this is a parody piece..?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

10 Jun 2019 10:45

King Boonen wrote:Surely this is a parody piece..?
The Roadmap? It's been two years in the writing, you know. Its commitment to anti-doping is such that riders would be required to race every single one of the one day races.
User avatar fmk_RoI

11 Jun 2019 13:58

I had to stop reading the nonsense. It's like they just wanted to regurgitate all of the flawed ideas of the last few years and pretend no-one pointed out the problems.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

11 Jun 2019 16:24

A lot of Daam Van Reeth in there. Overall, it rather echos SIS's Stephen Moon's opinion of the sport. Fundamentally professional cycling is broken and stuck in an 80's time warp for any modern sponsor who would never look at value in the space on a jersey. I think SIS did some research and they said the jersey space was worthless to them as a company marketing exercise.
samhocking

12 Jun 2019 09:46

King Boonen wrote:I had to stop reading the nonsense. It's like they just wanted to regurgitate all of the flawed ideas of the last few years and pretend no-one pointed out the problems.
It's a nightmare to read. Hard to believe Oliver Duggan was a real journalist. To me, the whole thing comes down to the Gifted Group's idea of six or seven years ago, package the sport as something you can sell to a private equity firm (F1's CVC, for instance) or ASO or Wang Jianlin, leaving all the crap bits with the UCI, and just paying lip-service to anti-doping, believing that imposing a narrative on the cycling season will distract people from doping. All the individual ideas - cut a week of the GTs, impose a narrative on the one-day season - you're right, they've all been floated before (I don't think I saw a single original idea in the whole manifesto).

Between this and Vaughters's impending chamoir, I fear we may be hearing a lot of this nonsense through July. I know there's nothing to really be bothered about, this is going nowhere, none of the key stakeholders are on board, this is something Rapha knocked up after talking to a few dozen mates (and sixteen - sixteen! - people from the Rapha-sponsored Canyon SRAM team), but God I just wish people would propose some practical ideas for once, improvements that actually have a chance of being implemented.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

12 Jun 2019 09:53

samhocking wrote:Fundamentally professional cycling is broken and stuck in an 80's time warp for any modern sponsor who would never look at value in the space on a jersey. I think SIS did some research and they said the jersey space was worthless to them as a company marketing exercise.
A broken sponsorship model and yet Rapha sponsors 20+ of the 50-odd people they interviewed for the Roadmap. Putting their mouth where their money is.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Previous

Return to The Clinic