Register

WADA Getting Ready to Reinstate Russia

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

22 Sep 2018 11:46

yaco wrote:I wonder why people give some much creedence to the utterings of Travis Tygart,USADA and any American Sporting Organisation - They have a track record of hiding positive tests and giving soft penalties - And the athletes who cry crocodile tears is amazing - It's like they are purer than white snow.

Good point. Travis Tygart is a fraud. Look at the recent Jon Jones decision.
User avatar veganrob

Re:

23 Sep 2018 08:40

Bolder wrote:^^not just money, but IMO members of WADA, IOC et al are scared of Russian hacking (as perhaps they should be!). Perhaps some not so subtle digital threats were delivered. We've seen what Russian cyberwarriors can do if they put their mind to it, just ask the US Democratic party...there was no way they'd bring the hammer down on Russian athletics federation.
Craig Reedie and RusADA director Yuri Ganus, at the meeting with WADA in Lausanne :

Happy times are here again... "I knew you'd come to see it my way, old buddy..." Bolder could be right about the компромат, because it's like a fine art in Russia, of political blackmail to collect damaging information on rivals, a kind of gamesmanship in itself. When I was living in Russia I often had the unnerving feeling that things at the depths are not what they seem to be on the surface, legality may be optional for a certain hidden elite and rules of society are barely holding things together. Like some places I went, I was told explicitly are "not for ordinary Russians, this is for special Russians" and some of the guys were just mafia operating in plain sight, with their entourage of bodyguards and kept women. (Side note: The BBC photo shows the Russian delegation sent some foxy ladies to Switzerland, although it's crass to say so I kind of doubt that WADA has equally glamorous staff overseeing their testing labs, as RusADA)
So with Fancy Bears and all the hacks, WADA and IOC kind of know that Russians have stolen some information, but they're not sure exactly what. The Fancy Bears was fairly superficial damage because most of the TUE's were boring, but it still blew up to be a huge scandal in the western media. So what if, there were something even worse out there which is being held back? And that's the essence of компромат, in my understanding - show your rivals some of the cards in your hand, and keep them guessing about the rest
Russia Ignores Four WADA Requests To Test Its Moscow Laboratory
RusADA’s new head, Yuri Ganus, insisted his organisation had made changes. But when asked why it was not acknowledging the McLaren report, he replied: “It’s not a question that depends on us . . . it’s about negotiation.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/russia-ignores-four-wada-requests-to-test-its-moscow-laboratory-1.3435676

That's just speculation, so it will be more important to take a look at the finances of Russian cash contribution to WADA, before, during, and after the ban. Like the New York Times investigation implied
ClassicomanoLuigi

03 Oct 2018 14:31

Russia don't dope in the same way they don't carry out assassinations in foreign countries and never make death threats to whistle blowers who take off like their house was on fire. Tygart has done more good than bad and not many so called anti dopers can say that much. Russia's problem has been making the cheating so blatant. If they were smarter they would have sailed through the system like the Jamaican track and field team. If you are going to have a nationalized doping system you have to cover all the bases re payoffs and corruption.but of course there will always be some whistle blowers running for their lives.............
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Oct 2018 20:10

Sounds like some "mansplaining" went on at WADA's meeting - Beckie Scott's reason for resigning -

https://www.bbc.com/sport/45840481
Wada's all-important 12-person executive committee then held a meeting in the Seychelles to formally approve Russia's reinstatement.

It was there, Scott claims, as she made a presentation, that she faced "upsetting" comments by some of the members representing the Olympic movement "definitely designed to denigrate, to belittle... and to bully".

"I felt an intense amount of pressure going into that meeting. There was laughter when I read out the list of athlete committees who were confronting the decision [over Russia]," she said.

"At the time it was upsetting, and on reflection it's a tactic, a manoeuvre and born out of a long-standing belief that athletes don't have to be part of this conversation."

Scott says she was "disappointed" neither Wada's president Sir Craig Reedie or director-general Olivier Niggli stepped in at the time.

"There was no confrontation or challenging of that behaviour at the time it took place," she said.

"I think it's indicative of the leadership of Wada's alignment with the Olympic movement."

Reedie said some athletes did not fully understand Wada's intentions, a suggestion Scott described as "quite offensive".
Analysis

Beckie Scott is the nearest thing the Olympic and Paralympic athlete community has to a figurehead.

A highly respected former IOC member, and the most senior athlete representative inside Wada, her explosive claims will be highly damaging for Wada's beleaguered leadership as it faces an unprecedented backlash from western athletes over its decision to reinstate Russia.

With some critics suggesting Wada lacks the independence from the Olympic movement to be fit for purpose, this will only add to the pressure that the regulator is now under. Especially a week after the US indicted seven Russian spies for hacking in connection with the alleged hacking of Wada officials.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

12 Oct 2018 23:48

Robert5091 wrote:Sounds like some "mansplaining" went on at WADA's meeting - Beckie Scott's reason for resigning -
Not necessarily sexism, but bullying and mockery of anyone who doesn't realize that WADA is a joke. She was naive enough to think there would be some serious purpose to the meeting about Russia, when it had already been decided, and athletes themselves have no say in the matter
ClassicomanoLuigi

18 Oct 2018 21:22

https://www.bbc.com/sport/45909055
Two-time Olympic gold medallist Ed Moses says he was told to "shut up" at a World Anti-Doping Agency meeting.

Beckie Scott, Wada's Athlete Committee chair, told the BBC some officials tried to "bully" her over her opposition to Russian reinstatement.

Moses, who is chair of the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada), backed calls for an investigation into Scott's claims.

Wada denied Moses or anyone else at the foundation board meeting in May was told to shut up.

"Unfortunately, Scott is not alone in being attacked for wanting to clean things up," said Moses.

In an article for the Brisbane Times (see https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/world-needs-to-follow-australia-s-anti-doping-lead-against-ioc-bullies-20181018-p50ai6.html ), the 63-year-old said he was "told bluntly by various individuals not to speak" at the meeting, adding that he was "told to shut up."

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

27 Oct 2018 18:50

https://apnews.com/d4ab41777da34b1e9d1ae33d16b3a7f5
WADA says Russia critics harming doping fight

Unnerved by public disputes and bullying claims, the World Anti-Doping Agency is urging critics of the decision to reinstate Russia to cease their distracting attacks.

WADA director general Olivier Niggli told The Associated Press it’s more beneficial to work with the country, as the three-year suspension of its anti-doping agency comes to an end, rather than forcing the government to confess to orchestrating the abuse of drugs and cover-ups.
WADA has asked for what it described as an independent expert to review recordings and transcripts of the debate ahead of the next meeting in Baku, Azerbaijan, on Nov. 14.
Throughout the telephone interview with the AP, Niggli referenced “political” attacks on WADA without specifying who was coordinating them.
WADA is willing to let Russia operate its own anti-doping program again despite mounting evidence about how Moscow retaliated against the initial punishment. The U.S. Department of Justice outlined last month how serving officers of the GRU military intelligence body hit the sports world with a wave of cybercrimes to access athlete data at anti-doping agencies that was published online by the “Fancy Bear” group.

“I would hope Russia would stop cybercrimes and other countries in every field of society and life,” Niggli said. “There is a huge political context which goes way beyond our mandate. I hope Russia will be a very good, responsible partner.”

"Political" attacks? Ugh?

Reedie made the same argument to the MPCC - see
https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1055930640787480576

User avatar Robert5091

01 Nov 2018 06:41

More fallout from the Russia decision -
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/31/wada-russian-anti-doping-summit-emergency
The World Anti-Doping Agency was accused on Wednesday night of failing clean athletes, being soft on Russian doping and “bullying and disheartening” those arguing for reform in an extraordinary emergency summit at the White House.

The event, which was attended by athletes, sports ministers and multiple national anti-doping organisations, also condemned Wada for its decision to lift the suspension on the Russian Anti-Doping Agency in September. And, in a significant development, the US – a country that provides $4.5m towards Wada’s annual budget of $34m – said “nothing was off the table” if the organisation did not reform.

One of the most powerful speeches of the day came from the British gold medal-winning cyclist Callum Skinner, who said Wada and the International Olympic Committee, which provides half of Wada’s funding, had let athletes down by refusing to heed calls for reform and greater input into decision-making.

“Who and what does Wada and the IOC truly represent? The number one answer should be the athletes,” Skinner said. “But what have we got? Two bodies that suppress the athlete voice, treating it with disdain and dismissing it as misinformed when they should be applauding athlete debate and engagement.
The summit on Wednesday reflected the increasing bitter split between Wada and the IOC on one side, and athletes, governments and national anti-doping agencies on the other. The acrimony is expected to intensify in the coming months, with Wada’s Foundation Board meeting in Baku on 15 November expected to be particularly lively.

also at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-6339569/Sir-Craig-Reedie-faces-fresh-calls-resign-WADA-president-White-House-meeting.html

User avatar Robert5091

Re: WADA Getting Ready to Reinstate Russia

01 Nov 2018 10:32

Each day, with the rolling world and the setting sun, professional sport is a minute part of our social world ecosystem. Don't look for any permanent fix or enduring harmony on these and the many other doping issues. You're setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration. Understand human nature, the imperfections it creates in professional sport. Of course, do your best to keep cheating at bay … but enjoy the entertainment. Don't confuse your moral code with entertainment. Legacies attract a lot of dust in the long haul.
Alpe73

Re:

01 Nov 2018 11:10

WADA punishes Russia, White House engages in attack on WADA...
User avatar fmk_RoI

07 Nov 2018 23:10

WADA attempts to move the goal posts -
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2018/11/07/british-olympians-hit-proposed-wada-age-limit-rules-pro-athlete/
Members of the Athletes for Clean Sport campaign group led condemnation of a potential list of guidelines which could include a requirement that any candidate to replace Sir Craig Reedie to be at least 45.

The proposals would eliminate 41-year-old Linda Helleland of Norway, who has emerged as a the chosen candidate among athletes who want to see radical change following the agency’s much-criticised decision to reinstate Russia’s anti-doping operation.
“Given the recent direction of Wada and the lack of transparency that we have witnessed, is it merely a coincidence that just weeks before the athlete-minded candidate Linda Helleland would begin her campaign to be the next president, Wada could allow rules to be pushed through that would render Linda’s campaign ineligible?”

US Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart called it “an obvious attempt to rig the election so the reform candidates can’t run”.

The proposal will be discussed at Wada’s board meeting next week. Officials say the proposal came not from their leadership, but from representatives of the international governments that provide half the agency’s funding.

“Neither Wada’s leadership nor its management was involved or consulted in any way in the drafting of this document,” a Wada spokesman said. “Any suggestion to the contrary is simply untrue.”

Helleland, who currently serves as Wada vice president, cast one of two dissenting votes when the Wada executive committee voted to reinstate Russia.

User avatar Robert5091

14 Nov 2018 09:03

More fallout from WADA's decision -
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/former-wada-chief-dick-pound-s-verbal-volley-for-ukad-a3988866.html
The founding president of the World Anti-Doping Agency, Dick Pound, has accused UK Anti-Doping of being out of line in the fall-out of the Russian cheating scandal and trying to act as “heirs apparent” to WADA.

A recent summit in Washington, headed by the US Anti-Doping Agency and attended by UKAD, called for urgent WADA reform in light of sanctions being lifted against the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (Rusada). But Pound told Standard Sport: “I think USADA and UKAD and other national anti-doping organisations are out of line on this. They’re out of control and focusing on the wrong things.”

WADA’s executive board is due to meet in Baku tomorrow to discuss the latest position over Rusada, which has been set a December 31 deadline to divulge all samples from its Moscow laboratory.

At that meeting, Pound said: “The point I hope to raise if given the chance is to say the Olympic movement stakeholders and public authorities should get into these NADOs to say this is not what we’re funding you to do.

"We’re funding you to head up anti-doping in your country. You’re not the heirs apparent to WADA. Get on with what you’re supposed to be doing otherwise we’ll find someone else to do it.”

User avatar Robert5091

15 Nov 2018 22:11

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2018-11/wada-foundation-board-approves-wide-ranging-governance-reform
RUSSIAN ANTI-DOPING AGENCY (RUSADA)

Further to the ExCo’s 20 September decision to reinstate RUSADA as compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code (Code) subject to strict conditions, the Board received an update regarding access to the data from the former Moscow Laboratory, which is one of the conditions.

WADA President Sir Craig Reedie informed the meeting that a WADA delegation would visit Russia on 28 November to meet with the authorities and visit the Moscow Laboratory. This meeting has been arranged to prepare for a full technical mission shortly thereafter to retrieve the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and underlying data of the Laboratory before 31 December 2018 as required by the ExCo.

A number of Board members at the meeting stressed again the importance that should Russia fail to comply with its outstanding obligations, then swift action should be taken against RUSADA under the terms of the International Standard for Code Compliance by Signatories (ISCCS).

User avatar Robert5091

20 Nov 2018 12:30

Wouldn't the world wide athletes be against Russia being allowed back in simply because they like a whole country of great athletes out of the way to give them better chances of medalling?

It's funny that Callum Skinner is a major player in this when he uses TUEs and was a battler before the Rio olympics and went right back to being a battler again after? I would suspect GB just as much as any country.
Craigee

23 Nov 2018 23:37

Nov 28 - the WADA circus goes to Moscow -
https://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/moscow-doping-lab-to-be-opened-for-wada-visit-111518
“We will be sending a team of highly qualified experts. Everybody knows what they’ve been asked to provide. The experts will deliver it and I’m perfectly confident that we have the right people going in,” Reedie said. “This will resolve the situation we have with the Russian authorities.”

The first visit — which isn’t expected to recover the data — will involve three “independent people” and “the Russians will also have some people,” Jonathan Taylor, who leads WADA’s compliance committee, told The Associated Press.

“A full technical mission” will follow up to gather information, Reedie said.

Emails from the laboratory revealed in a WADA investigation showed that it routinely covered up doping by top Russian athletes. It’s not clear what any retesting of stored samples could accomplish, since staff allegedly destroyed more than 1,400 samples in 2015 to obstruct WADA’s investigations.

User avatar Robert5091

28 Nov 2018 22:36

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-doping-wada-russia-idUSKCN1NX1TQ
A World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) delegation held talks with Russian officials and visited a suspended Moscow anti-doping laboratory on Wednesday as it waits for Russia to meet a year-end deadline to hand over laboratory data.

Wednesday’s visit, which included three WADA delegates, was meant to lay the groundwork for a subsequent mission - on a date not yet announced - to retrieve the data.

“A full technical mission has been provisionally planned but this is subject to a number of outstanding points that need to be clarified in the coming days,” WADA said in a statement.

Russian Sports Minister Pavel Kolobkov confirmed that the WADA specialists had been given access to the laboratory but did not say when Russia would hand over the data.

“At this stage it is too early to speak of deadlines and the amounts of work ahead,” he said in a statement.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/wada-experts-hold-talks-moscow-doping-lab-data-59463665
WADA visited the lab, where key evidence is sealed off by Russian law enforcement, on Wednesday to make arrangements for a second team to arrive and collect the files. Depending on how Russia reacts and what the computer files contain, the issue could draw a line under Russia's years of doping scandals, or lead to more sanctions.

"The sooner we can gain full access to the laboratory, the better," Rabin said in a statement. "Clearly, there is a huge volume of data contained within it and we want to start analyzing it as soon as possible. Then, once the data has been fully assessed and verified to be authentic, we would be in a position to assert anti-doping rule violations against those athletes who cheated and to exonerate other athletes."

Russian Sports Minister Pavel Kolobkov, who met the WADA delegation late Tuesday, issued a cautious statement after the lab visit.

"It's early at this stage to talk about timeframes and the size of work ahead," he said. "Soon all sides will work out a common position."

Any data can be checked against an unauthorized copy of the lab's database which WADA obtained last year under unclear circumstances. Walden said Rodchenkov — who is under witness protection in the United States — wasn't WADA's source.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2018-11/wada-meets-with-russian-authorities-regarding-moscow-laboratory-access
Representatives of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) held meetings with the Russian authorities in Moscow yesterday and today, regarding Moscow Laboratory access, which the Agency expects will pave the way for a full technical mission mid-December.

The three-person delegation, which met with officials in Moscow and visited the Laboratory, will now liaise further with WADA leadership in order to discuss logistics and next steps. A full technical mission has been provisionally planned but this is subject to a number of outstanding points that need to be clarified in the coming days.

User avatar Robert5091

Yesterday 15:45

14 December -
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2018-12/wada-to-access-data-in-moscow-laboratory-next-week
A full technical mission from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) will be in Russia next week to retrieve data from the former Moscow Laboratory.

The five-person delegation will travel to Moscow on Monday 17 December to access the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and the underlying raw data of the Laboratory, as required by WADA’s Executive Committee decision of 20 September. The team will be led by independent expert Dr. José Antonio (Toni) Pascual, who is a research scientist and academic in Barcelona, Spain with 30 years’ experience in anti-doping, including 25 years in laboratory management. It is expected the data extraction will take three days to complete.

WADA Director General Olivier Niggli said: “Following an initial meeting last month between WADA and the Russian public authorities, we have been preparing for the full technical mission to gain access to the Moscow Laboratory and the relevant data, in line with the strict conditions set for RUSADA’s reinstatement.

“Gaining full access to the laboratory and the data contained within it was the reason behind the 20 September decision and it is satisfying that we are another step closer to realizing that. The raw data is the missing piece of the puzzle that will complement the duplicate LIMS database that is already in WADA’s possession and help conclude WADA’s McLaren and Operation LIMS investigations.”

Under the terms of the 20 September decision to reinstate RUSADA as compliant, the Russian authorities must also procure that any re-analysis of samples required by WADA following review of the laboratory data is completed by no later than 30 June 2019.

The data contained within the laboratory will need to be fully assessed and verified, which will take some time. They will then be used, in conjunction with the re-analysis of samples as required, to build cases against athletes who cheated.

Earlier this week, a WADA team completed a two-day audit of RUSADA (see http://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2018-12/wada-completes-audit-of-russian-anti-doping-agency ), in accordance with the strict conditions of its reinstatement. Based on its findings, the audit team will prepare a full report highlighting any outstanding issues that need to be addressed.

User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to The Clinic