Register

Remco Evenepoel

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Remco Evenepoel

25 Sep 2018 14:09

What? This 18 year old kid is already a full blown alien.

He has won pretty much everything he entered this year and has just won the Junior ITT by a huge margin.

He is already going to Quickstep next year- as we know a very dirty team where he will probably produce some nuclear performances.

Anyone else highly suspicious?
therealthing

25 Sep 2018 14:47

Obviously talented.

But yeah I'm not assuming anything is cleanz here
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

25 Sep 2018 14:49

All 3 GTs in 2020 ... maybe a few monuments, cause 63 race days is not enough. :p
User avatar Akuryo

25 Sep 2018 19:21

He looks like a huge talent, reminds me a bit of the stories that you hear about Frank VdB as a kid, and while his performances are a bit crazy there isn't a lot to say about him right now.
The Belgian cycling federation doesn't even know how to spell anti-doping (Besides the Femke motor thing, who was the last guy that got caught by them for actual doping?) but that's a topic for another debate...
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re: Remco Evenepoel

25 Sep 2018 21:07

I assume Patrick Evenepoel https://www.cyclingranking.com/rider/5997/patrick-evenepoel is his father.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

26 Sep 2018 07:09

So whenever a new talent wins a race now we're going to have a new thread?
User avatar MartinGT

26 Sep 2018 07:49

MartinGT wrote:So whenever a new talent wins a race now we're going to have a new thread?

How about winning 34 of 44 races in the past 18 months? Is it enough?
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

26 Sep 2018 08:20

MartinGT wrote:So whenever a new talent wins a race now we're going to have a new thread?

Most likely yes. Pretty depressing isn't it?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

26 Sep 2018 09:41

Great, informative insight in Evenepoel's doping program.

lolz :D
User avatar Flamin

26 Sep 2018 09:54

Robert5091 wrote:I assume Patrick Evenepoel https://www.cyclingranking.com/rider/5997/patrick-evenepoel is his father.

What are you implying? Patrick Evenepoel was most probably clean and was robbed by EPO dopers like so many Belgian riders at that time. As an amateur rider he could drop Bartoli or Bugno. As a pro he had to retire after three years due to heart problems (advised by Pr. Brugada who also advised Vansummeren to stop) and his greatest win remains the GP Wallonia in 1993.
Echoes

26 Sep 2018 10:22

Aye
rick james

26 Sep 2018 11:02

It exists, for example the sad case of the Rumsas brothers. Or with the Gabriel Evans affair it was kind of apparent that doping at the juniors level is 'normalised'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/12044175/Teenage-cyclist-Gabriel-Evans-admits-to-doping-because-culture-had-been-normalised-and-justified.html

One thing that could be said in his favor is, that he was very articulate and forthright about why he did it. Well-spoken doper and kind of matter-of-fact.
So now, if there is a new star who is not only champion, but an even more extreme performance outlier, then of course there are going to be doubters who start grumbling about it. While baseless in fact, as if the performance speaks for itself

Evenepoel going straight to Quickstep shows that he doesn't have any compunction about doping in pro cycling, so that aspect doesn't help. But same could be said of many 'neo-pros' because they know what kind of territory they are headed into
ClassicomanoLuigi

26 Sep 2018 12:16

He's a ridiculous outlier. If we can't be suspicious of outliers then we might as well stop pretending we care.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

26 Sep 2018 12:59

I want him in Cofidis. Then he can go full VdB route. Oh wait.
User avatar Pippo_San

26 Sep 2018 13:08

Red Rick wrote:

He's a ridiculous outlier. If we can't be suspicious of outliers then we might as well stop pretending we care.

Is he? I don't follow junior riding at all but I wouldn't be surprised to see other junior riders at least coming close to his level, the distribution at that age is more likely to be larger.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

26 Sep 2018 14:03

King Boonen wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Is he? I don't follow junior riding at all but I wouldn't be surprised to see other junior riders at least coming close to his level, the distribution at that age is more likely to be larger.

The difference between him and nr. 2 was bigger than that between nr. 2 and nr.13, while he eased off in the final straight. He won the european chamionships with a solo from the 3rd of 11 laps and won with almost 10 minutes. In addition to that he has about 30 other victories, often with minutes in front. That's what I call an outlier.

But, there was an interesting article with Thomas de Gendt yesterday in a Belgian newspaper, who said that he won 20 times a year in the novices category, often with minutes, but he didn't turn into the next Merckx (although he has his day from time to time). Of course novices ain't juniors, but juniors ain't pros either.
For now, I'm in doubt.
rghysens

26 Sep 2018 14:38

rghysens wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

The difference between him and nr. 2 was bigger than that between nr. 2 and nr.13, while he eased off in the final straight. He won the european chamionships with a solo from the 3rd of 11 laps and won with almost 10 minutes. In addition to that he has about 30 other victories, often with minutes in front. That's what I call an outlier.

But, there was an interesting article with Thomas de Gendt yesterday in a Belgian newspaper, who said that he won 20 times a year in the novices category, often with minutes, but he didn't turn into the next Merckx (although he has his day from time to time). Of course novices ain't juniors, but juniors ain't pros either.
For now, I'm in doubt.

Your second paragraph was what I was getting at. I'm not interested in if he is an outlier among his current peers, I want to know if other riders have shown the same success in the junior ranks.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

26 Sep 2018 16:06

To put this into perspective, Rohan Dennis destroyed the pro mens' field by roughly the same margin as did Evanepoel, including a sound thumping of Dumoulin by well over a minute. Granted it was a longer distance but seen in that context what Evanepoel was either not abnormal, or completely normal, depending on your degree of cynicism.

For the record, as of right now, I don't think it's quite fair to cast suspicion on RE. At his age level, there are huge differences in physical maturity. 5-10 years from now, we'll know more about where he stands. But at least we'll be able to say that he was good from the beginning!
Bolder

26 Sep 2018 17:12

rghysens wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

For now, I'm in doubt.

Except rider no 2 is one year younger than Evenepoel.
yaco

Re:

26 Sep 2018 17:59

Bolder wrote:To put this into perspective, Rohan Dennis destroyed the pro mens' field by roughly the same margin as did Evanepoel, including a sound thumping of Dumoulin by well over a minute. Granted it was a longer distance but seen in that context what Evanepoel was either not abnormal, or completely normal, depending on your degree of cynicism.

For the record, as of right now, I don't think it's quite fair to cast suspicion on RE. At his age level, there are huge differences in physical maturity. 5-10 years from now, we'll know more about where he stands. But at least we'll be able to say that he was good from the beginning!

I wouldn't question him if he hadn't won almost every race he entered.

Also r.e. Dennis- insane performance and I'm surprised there isn't a thread on him.
therealthing

Next

Return to The Clinic