Register

Doping in Soccer/Football

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

10 Feb 2017 19:46

Somewhat coincidently, in the same period Jorge Sampaoli's (Bielsa disciple and formerly of Chile fame) Sevilla have taken La Liga and Europe by storm with their super high intensity style and a lot of late goals in games.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 Feb 2017 13:16

Great British football's tough stance on doping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38959264

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38744912

Edit: Just found this on one of the articles; looking much worse in Spain:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38928615
Nellyspania

Re: Doping in Soccer/Football

15 Feb 2017 10:21

From the second article:
From 550 players to play in the Premier League, 799 samples

Hahaha.

So I think there are oficially some professional cycling teams of 25 riders, that have more tests per year than the entire English Premier League - the most lucrative sports league in the world, and all 550 of its players.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

16 Feb 2017 04:26

Whoever saw PSG vs Barcelona knows PSG just stepped up another level. Making a team full of World Class footballers looking like children, even though PSG also has first level players demands something else.

Basically PSG did to Barcelona what Barcelona did to everybody else for the past decade, they entered the pitch more charged than the opponents.
Great match to watch though
AlbineVespuzzio

Re:

16 Feb 2017 10:49

AlbineVespuzzio wrote:Whoever saw PSG vs Barcelona knows PSG just stepped up another level. Making a team full of World Class footballers looking like children, even though PSG also has first level players demands something else.

Basically PSG did to Barcelona what Barcelona did to everybody else for the past decade, they entered the pitch more charged than the opponents.

Isn't that what you'd expect them to do though if there was no doping? The game was largely won in midfield, and you'd certainly expect Rabiot, Verratti and Matuidi to comfortably out-run and out fight Busquets, Iniesta and Gomes if neither side had any help. Throw in some decent co-ordination and pressing and you get the expected dominance.

PSG is a team full of athletes; guys who look and are physically strong and fit. Who knows whether or not that is aided by doping; but to me it's far less suspicious than Barcelona were at their peak. They were essentially a load of guys who are small, pretty weak and didn't really look like athletes, but were outsprinting and outrunning everyone, while maintaing perfect technique for 90+ minutes.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

16 Feb 2017 14:20

DFA123 wrote:
AlbineVespuzzio wrote:Whoever saw PSG vs Barcelona knows PSG just stepped up another level. Making a team full of World Class footballers looking like children, even though PSG also has first level players demands something else.

Isn't that what you'd expect them to do though if there was no doping? The game was largely won in midfield, and you'd certainly expect Rabiot, Verratti and Matuidi to comfortably out-run and out fight Busquets, Iniesta and Gomes if neither side had any help. Throw in some decent co-ordination and pressing and you get the expected dominance.

PSG is a team full of athletes; guys who look and are physically strong and fit. Who knows whether or not that is aided by doping; but to me it's far less suspicious than Barcelona were at their peak. They were essentially a load of guys who are small, pretty weak and didn't really look like athletes, but were outsprinting and outrunning everyone, while maintaing perfect technique for 90+ minutes.

Considering Verratti makes Messi, Xavi and Iniesta look like Basketball players, i wouldn't mention him as someone who looks and is physically strong and fit.

In any case this is 2017 football. We just found out they don't even do tests anymore. I can't see a case for PSG and Barca not doping.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

16 Feb 2017 17:08

DFA123 wrote:

Not like that. PSG is full of athletes, and so is everybody else, they're all athletes. If you talking about "size", size doesn't help you run like a madman for 90 minutes. If something it should restrict your endurance ability. PSG was smarter because Barcelona wasn't expecting this level at this stage and did not prepare its players to run like that. Or maybe the players just didn't want to bother to dope like that anymore.
They sort of done enough for the club.

The manager "takes" the heat for bad "tactics" and bad "planning", and goes home with 3 seasons at a giant and 8 or 10 trophies in the pocket.

Welcome to modern football.
AlbineVespuzzio

17 Feb 2017 10:10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38997847

Good to see that the FA is serious about doping!
Mayo from Mayo

Re:

17 Feb 2017 10:30

Mayo from Mayo wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38997847

Good to see that the FA is serious about doping!

Haha.

Brilliant
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re: Doping in Soccer/Football

05 Mar 2017 21:00

What happened to goetze.

I think pretty much everyone agrees there are major reasons to doubt that sudden explosion of Dortmund in the 2010's of which he was a part- especially since we all know in football there are no tests and klopps football is entirely based on his attacking players doing none stop sprints for 90 minutes.

His gradual fall from form, constant injuries and now apparently some strange illness.

Tour de France yellow jerseys don't get won on bread and water. I don't know if FIFA World cup winning moments do either.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

05 Mar 2017 21:05

What do you think happened?
kingjr

Re:

05 Mar 2017 22:35

kingjr wrote:What do you think happened?

I don't know, hence why I asked the question.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

05 Mar 2017 23:18

Fwiw, I think his drop in form had already started prior to the world cup in 2014.
I think him scoring the winning goal was a bit of a fluke.
sniper
Veteran

05 Mar 2017 23:45

The Hitch wrote:

I just thought you maybe had some idea, or a wild guess.
kingjr

06 Mar 2017 08:10

kingjr wrote:
The Hitch wrote:

I just thought you maybe had some idea, or a wild guess.

I think you have it the wrong way round.

The people that believe in clean sport (especially for their heroes), are the ones who claim to know exactly how everything takes place. They know for a fact that their favourite athletes never took EPO and never took steroids and never took testostrone and never took Aicar and that theyve never been offered it and that they are moral people etc.

We on the other hand are far more simple people. We know that athletes dope. How where and when, we realize are questions we cannot answer since unlike the believers, we don't believe things without evidence ;)
Those of
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

06 Mar 2017 10:30

What are you talking about man, I'm not asking you to 'know' anything, so I fail to understand who you are adressing in your 1st paragraph or how it relates to my post. I repeat, I just thought you maybe had some idea or theory, if you don't that's fine, neither have I.
kingjr

Re:

06 Mar 2017 14:37

kingjr wrote:What are you talking about man, I'm not asking you to 'know' anything, so I fail to understand who you are adressing in your 1st paragraph or how it relates to my post. I repeat, I just thought you maybe had some idea or theory, if you don't that's fine, neither have I.

Its just the same old shot at how football gets away with doping, especially in the ultimate hypocrite land - Germany.

Goetze's decline might have nothing to do with doping. I have no idea what it is. But whenever i see his name I am reminded of how Germany had a team of super skilled and super physical players in the world cup.

His achievement is greater than any other sports person can ever acheive. A cyclist could win the TDF 20 times and it will never be as big as scoring the winning goal in a world cup final. You can win 40 olympic goals and it will never be as big. That the footballers get away with it while other athletes get scrutinized is for me always the biggest injustice in sport and doping.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

06 Mar 2017 17:00

This is quite anecdotal, but seems plausible and is talked about in Germany off the record: Goetze was a Wunderkind early on and as such he had the status of a teen idol. As we know, football stars get judged by their look today too and Goetze fought with a receding hairline early on. The rumors are he took finasterid to solve the problem, which was of course a big mistake, as it serves as an anti-androgenic. Combine that with possible hormone doping since years and its very reasonable to conclude he destroyed his hormonal axis. This is also in line with the fact that he trains a lot, but still has a bad fitness level, lots of muscular problems and fatigue and the latest development, where the team's doc found out that there is "something wrong with his blood values".

ppanther92

09 Mar 2017 01:54

Turning a 4 goal deficit into a win and advance in CL? No **** problem
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic