Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 07:49

rick james wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Here's the final ride:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19597496

Need to add on a bit as I've started it not from my actual start.

Usually I'd have ridden back from Kilmarnock but the A76 is a horrible road so I was pushing to get to the end of it and the weather wasn't pleasant. Constant headwind/sidewind pretty much the whole ride (I'd planned for a tail wind home but didn't get it due to the route change). A76 is a trunk road through that bit of Scotland, heavy traffic and loads of idiots, I only use it when I absolutely have to. The rest of the roads are very nice.

I used an 81" fixed gear, 48x16 actual chainring/sprocket.

I've got the radar road on my hit list this year, that Mennock pass, I've got one of the slowest ever times on it, I tried to do the radar road but the wind was crazy, I got blown off the road twice climbing the pass then becuae of snow I could only make it 3/4 up the radar road

Sounds like a typical day in May in Scotland :D I couldn't even see where the Radar tower road was, not even sure if I passed it. I stopped in the valley bit to take photos but the fog came both pretty much as soon as I did so I pushed on. I'm sure it's got views when you can see, but all I could see was the guard rail on the other side of the road!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

18 Mar 2017 09:39

Time for a 4 hour trip on the bike. Prima weather in Denmark today, everything is goooood (apart from the fact that I need to borrow a bike which kinda sucks)
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

18 Mar 2017 10:59

Either you're pretty badass, calling the rainy-snowy weather good, in which case: Go you! :cool:
Or... you've got better weather than me, in which case: That's not fair! :mad:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

18 Mar 2017 14:01

RedheadDane wrote:Either you're pretty badass, calling the rainy-snowy weather good, in which case: Go you! :cool:

No clouds on the sky, a bit chilly, not too windy.. on top of that it was beautiful to look at the snow in the forest. Well, I just need it not to rain, then Im happy, but when you also can tan your face out there its a plus. ;)
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

18 Mar 2017 19:53

I went on a 40km MTB ride, jusst like yesterday and I'll probably do another one tomorrow.
I've got a deep cut that required a few stitches on my left index finger, that's one of the main reasons why I choose to ride my MTB, compared to a road bike it's easier to shift gears and hit the break without using my index finger (at least for me).
User avatar Mayomaniac

18 Mar 2017 21:22

Mountain biking is great fun on a good trail, unfortunately the trails I know are always very muddy so its really no fun.. and I find racing on the road more challenging psychically as well as there's too much doing nothing on a MTB, its stop and start which I guess is good interval training. I like the hard endurance riders more. Maybe thats not the case in Italy, I assume its not.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

18 Mar 2017 22:03

Valv.Piti wrote:Mountain biking is great fun on a good trail, unfortunately the trails I know are always very muddy so its really no fun.. and I find racing on the road more challenging psychically as well as there's too much doing nothing on a MTB, its stop and start which I guess is good interval training. I like the hard endurance riders more. Maybe thats not the case in Italy, I assume its not.

MTBing can be very challenging (physically) if you have the right course. Also mud can be very fun. :)
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

19 Mar 2017 11:27

Valv.Piti wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Either you're pretty badass, calling the rainy-snowy weather good, in which case: Go you! :cool:

No clouds on the sky, a bit chilly, not too windy.. on top of that it was beautiful to look at the snow in the forest. Well, I just need it not to rain, then Im happy, but when you also can tan your face out there its a plus. ;)

So, if it snows you're happy too? :p

Personally I'd rather have rain (and no wind), than wind (and no rain). Sudden gusts of wind/throw-winds around house corners, and a bodyweight of 50 kg does call for some rather interesting situations. However, it seems like in these parts if it's raining it's pretty often also kinda windy.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 01:42

We're finally getting our belated summer rain here, so I've been taking my new 29'er hardtail out. Luckily there's dozens of narrow gravel roads in the state forest a couple of minutes from my house. It's been refreshing to do a few hours on these with some single track thrown in at the end to change things up.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

22 Mar 2017 17:55

I crashed heavily a weak ago: bike wrecked and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days. Got pretty hurt.. that isn't really the problem tho.

I simply can't ride in biggish groups now. I feel a severe anxiety of crashing all the time which doesn't make it enjoyable at all. Obviously you should always be on your marks riding in a group, but I've taken it to the extreme after crashing. Has anybody any experience with this?
User avatar Valv.Piti

22 Mar 2017 21:15

Sufferfest have finally added my turbo so I did an FTP test. 20 minutes at 3.76w/kg and 1 hour at 3.57w/kg. Pretty happy with that, going to try a bit more focussed training and see if I can build on it.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

22 Mar 2017 23:11

Valv.Piti wrote:I crashed heavily a weak ago: bike wrecked and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days. Got pretty hurt.. that isn't really the problem tho.

I simply can't ride in biggish groups now. I feel a severe anxiety of crashing all the time which doesn't make it enjoyable at all. Obviously you should always be on your marks riding in a group, but I've taken it to the extreme after crashing. Has anybody any experience with this?

Valv, have you tried riding always at the very back of the group? Never inside the group, always sit on the back. That's the way friends of mine have dealt with this problem, and they got their confidence back quite quickly.

And what you're feeling is very normal. It's only a short time since your crash. Give it time, your confidence will come back. And sorry about your crash, it's never pleasant is it. It's good to be back riding so quickly.
Dan2016

23 Mar 2017 01:42

Dan2016 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I crashed heavily a weak ago: bike wrecked and I couldn't walk properly for 2 days. Got pretty hurt.. that isn't really the problem tho.

Valv, have you tried riding always at the very back of the group? Never inside the group, always sit on the back. That's the way friends of mine have dealt with this problem, and they got their confidence back quite quickly.

And what you're feeling is very normal. It's only a short time since your crash. Give it time, your confidence will come back. And sorry about your crash, it's never pleasant is it. It's good to be back riding so quickly.

Like Dan just said, give it time, it's only a week. Start with smaller groups that you know well and trust. Stay away from big bunches that ride at race pace for a while and ease back into things.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

23 Mar 2017 09:16

Did you crash with the group or out on your own?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

23 Mar 2017 10:32

King Boonen wrote:

Nope, somebody crashed in from of me. So riding in bunches now is extremely unpleasant since I am always 'prepared' to fall.

Thanks guys, I figured that was the way to go about it. For the moment tho, I won't ride with +4.
User avatar Valv.Piti

23 Mar 2017 12:54

Valv.Piti wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

Nope, somebody crashed in from of me. So riding in bunches now is extremely unpleasant since I am always 'prepared' to fall.

Thanks guys, I figured that was the way to go about it. For the moment tho, I won't ride with +4.

Ok. It's an unfortunate part of group riding but there is a lot you can do about it. As a lecturer I'm generally pretty loud/bossy in a group but having someone talking and checking other riders helps a lot. If people are crossing wheels, riding between the lines, half-wheeling or, my current personal favourite idiot move, taking selfies, then the group as a whole should call them out on it. Crossing wheels in the group is probably the worst thing that can happen and this should be pointed out. None of this has to be aggressive or angry, everyone should understand that it's all to make the group safer.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

23 Mar 2017 15:58

King Boonen wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

Ok. It's an unfortunate part of group riding but there is a lot you can do about it. As a lecturer I'm generally pretty loud/bossy in a group but having someone talking and checking other riders helps a lot. If people are crossing wheels, riding between the lines, half-wheeling or, my current personal favourite idiot move, taking selfies, then the group as a whole should call them out on it. Crossing wheels in the group is probably the worst thing that can happen and this should be pointed out. None of this has to be aggressive or angry, everyone should understand that it's all to make the group safer.

Seriously? Selfies...in a bunch! That's completely crackers.
I don't understand what selfies are all about full stop but that's another matter...

Valv, glad you know what you're doing. Good luck.
Dan2016

23 Mar 2017 20:02

Yeah, just getting the groove back little by little. Rode with some guys today and it felt okay.
User avatar Valv.Piti

23 Mar 2017 21:06

Dan2016 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

Seriously? Selfies...in a bunch! That's completely crackers.
I don't understand what selfies are all about full stop but that's another matter...

Valv, glad you know what you're doing. Good luck.

Anyone taking a selfie in the bunch should be immediately flicked into the gutter until they get the message.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

23 Mar 2017 21:31

Valv.Piti wrote:Yeah, just getting the groove back little by little. Rode with some guys today and it felt okay.

Good stuff.
Lots of riders been there. The good feelings usually seems to come back quick. Cyclists are usually too nuts to remember anxiety for long. :)
Dan2016

PreviousNext

Return to General