Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

03 Jul 2017 23:11

Brullnux wrote:Take a really small chairing and do the steep one. It'll be safer too, the number of cars in that area is ridiculous, so it'll be nice to be away from them for a bit. And you can feel like a pro, climbing a legendary climb closed to any cars.

I assume thats the Muro you talk about?
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

10 Jul 2017 08:25

245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

10 Jul 2017 15:06

King Boonen wrote:245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.
Chapeau. What a beast. I did a sixth and a fourth of that, respectively, in somewhat similar conditions but with only a rain cape, and I skipped my recovery ride this morning because I was feeling a bit Luis Angel Mate when I woke up / came back to life.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

Re:

10 Jul 2017 21:42

King Boonen wrote:245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.

The route looked amazing, seen your Instagram posts and it looked wet in places...a fine Scottish summer day :lol:
rick james

Re:

10 Jul 2017 23:01

Yeah. Saw your post. Dude you're a beast! Was this an organized ride or just for the heck of it?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Jul 2017 09:57

carton wrote:
Chapeau. What a beast. I did a sixth and a fourth of that, respectively, in somewhat similar conditions but with only a rain cape, and I skipped my recovery ride this morning because I was feeling a bit Luis Angel Mate when I woke up / came back to life.

Cheers, I do kind of enjoy rides like that as long as I have the right gear. Borrowed a large saddle bag from a mate to carry loads of food and winter gear, glad I did even though it was heavy. The worst bit for me is the mudguards though, they seem to act like sails, particularly above 30kph, and pull you back. I was glad I'd put them on though otherwise I would have been covered!

rick james wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2148075#p2148075</span>]King Boonen[/url] wrote:245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.

The route looked amazing, seen your Instagram posts and it looked wet in places...a fine Scottish summer day :lol:

Yeah, just a little bit wet :D Not been through the North Third in ages, forgotten what a good road that is to ride. Draggy, broken, single lane with an almost guaranteed headwind heading West. Hardly any cars and feels really isolated. Will be including it a bit more often on Tak/Crow rides I think. The route was planned to get the most elevation gain in as short a distance as possible. Hardest bit is the transition through Balloch, but NC7 seems to work ok.

Jspear wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2148075#p2148075</span>]King Boonen[/url] wrote:245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.

Yeah. Saw your post. Dude you're a beast! Was this an organized ride or just for the heck of it?

Thanks :D Just a route I'd had in my head for a while I fancied giving a go. I had to postpone from Saturday to Sunday. Saturday was sunny and calm, Sunday... Wasn't :)
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

11 Jul 2017 19:11

Today I did a 94km ride with over 1800m of altitude gain and Forcella Zovo right in the middle of the ride, the final part of that climb is just nasty steep.
User avatar Mayomaniac

16 Jul 2017 19:09

I've done Passo Agueglio, Alpe Cainallo and Alpe Giumello of bigger climbs in Lombardia so far. All hard climbs and +1 hour efforts, I've never tried something like that before. I climbed Giumello (20 km, 7%) a couple of days ago on the hottest day, it was brutal, but I managed the most feared last part (6 km, 9%) pretty well thankfully. Thought Id bonk since I had no water or anything the last 45 min or so. Amazing climb, with a good and large parking spot - hope to see it as a MTF in the Giro.

Today I rode Cainallo (18 km, 6,7%) which is 3/4 of Agueglio, then into a narrow and steep road. Great climb again. I did a FTP-test, kinda, as I went as fast as I could. I stopped 1,5 km from the top at 1 h 04 m as it simply was too hard. I climbed it to the top one day ago so no biggie. The last 2 kilometres are brutal, on a very narrow and ****** road. No Giro Potential.

Im not climbing P. San Marco or Mortirolo, but I plan to go to Bellagio tomorrow and do Ghisallo + Muro.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

16 Jul 2017 19:52

Home from our family-summer house, where I spent the last week (with my parents and grandmother).
I also rode out there last Sunday, but that didn't go so well; I got lost. :p Luckily, this time I was riding together with my mother for a large part of the trip.
Then, after a shower, I rode down to my parents for dinner, then back home.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

17 Jul 2017 17:05

Staying in Fügen in Zillertal for a couple of days. Today, I climbed the road from Kaltenbach to the Jausenstation Almluft (6km á 11%) ,then proceeded to the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse from Kaltenbach and ended the ride with the climb up to Hochfügen. Ridiculously steep gradients...
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

17 Jul 2017 19:20

Ghisallo, Sormano + Muro di Sormano. Report + pictures later, all I can say so far is BRAVISSIMMO
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

17 Jul 2017 19:32

Cance > TheRest wrote:Staying in Fügen in Zillertal for a couple of days. Today, I climbed the road from Kaltenbach to the Jausenstation Almluft (6km á 11%) ,then proceeded to the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse from Kaltenbach and ended the ride with the climb up to Hochfügen. Ridiculously steep gradients...

Good lord, that's one hell of a ride, props to you!
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

18 Jul 2017 09:50

Valv.Piti wrote:Ghisallo, Sormano + Muro di Sormano. Report + pictures later, all I can say so far is BRAVISSIMMO

Really looking forward to that :)
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re: Re:

18 Jul 2017 16:44

Mayomaniac wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:Staying in Fügen in Zillertal for a couple of days. Today, I climbed the road from Kaltenbach to the Jausenstation Almluft (6km á 11%) ,then proceeded to the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse from Kaltenbach and ended the ride with the climb up to Hochfügen. Ridiculously steep gradients...

Good lord, that's one hell of a ride, props to you!

Thanks! I was also very tired today, so only did the climb up to Hintertux on today's ride (which was actually quite steep in the beginning too) :D
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.

28 Jul 2017 19:17

Today I did a 95km ride with 2500m of altitude gain, a small local climb after 15km (Goschte from Taisten), then Furcia from Olang/Valdaora and Passo delle Erbe/Ju de Börz from Piccolein before descending down to Bressanone/Brixen.
I had a bad day, no power in my legs and I almost cracked on the Furcia ascent. I did better on the Passo delle Erbe, but I had to ride small gears and take it rather easy, I just had bad legs.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

29 Jul 2017 19:23

Mayomaniac wrote:Today I did a 95km ride with 2500m of altitude gain, a small local climb after 15km (Goschte from Taisten), then Furcia from Olang/Valdaora and Passo delle Erbe/Ju de Börz from Piccolein before descending down to Bressanone/Brixen.
I had a bad day, no power in my legs and I almost cracked on the Furcia ascent. I did better on the Passo delle Erbe, but I had to ride small gears and take it rather easy, I just had bad legs.

Sounds like a tough day on the bike mentally, if all you could rely on was willpower ;)

29 Jul 2017 19:50

Yeah, it wasn't an easy day, I just had to spin a small gear and I was able to recover a bit on Passo delle Erbe, the 16% ramp in Untermoi wasn't a problem, it's just a short ramp. This side of Passo delle Erbe might be a better climb in a race or even as a MTF, but the classic side from Brixen is just stunning, the 30km down to Brixen after the ascent are just great and the scenery is stunning.
Also lots of cyclists, around 30 people were climbing Passo delle Erbe from Brixen while I was descending, but it's a great climb, long, stunning and not a lot of traffic, it's always a good alternative to the bigger names in the Dolomites were you have to deal with a ton of cars and motobikes.
You could also ride the harder first half of the climb from Brixen, then turn left and climb up to Kreuztal/Valcroce, it's one of my favourite climbs, regular and 21.1km at 7%.
User avatar Mayomaniac

08 Aug 2017 20:21

First ride on my new bike, a Rose pro cgf-3000, 75km with a few smaller climbs. It feels pretty good, a few things are a bit unusual, the drops on my old bike were a bit lower, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to it.
User avatar Mayomaniac

11 Aug 2017 15:36

Climbed the Col de Chaussy via the Lacets de Montvernier today. Cloudy and rainy at the top and the descent was freezingly cold. But it was a fairly nice climb. As always the KM stones in France are a joke. This time exemplified by a KM stone showing 3% at a 8 or 9% kilometer :)

27 Aug 2017 12:14

From mid August I rode my bike from Hamburg to Göteborg (Gothenburg) within 10 days.

For the job I chose my Cyclocross bike, attaching rear and front rack to it, all rather provisional than professional. I found some old panniers in my parents's garage, loaded the bike with camping equipment and went off for a more or less completely unplanned ride.. The first two days I headed towards Rostock, located at the Baltic sea, to take the ferry to Trelleborg at the southern coast of Sweden. Roughly following the western coast of the country, I passed Malmö, Helsingborg and Ängelholm. (I would like to suggest an obligatory visit for every planner of cycling infrastructure to Malmö, just for them to see how it's done!)
East of Helsingborg there is a slightly hilly, forested region with very little traffic which I found amazing to ride my bike through. In contrast to that, the fearsome Båstad climbs were a bit too steep to really enjoy it on a heavy touring bike (or I'm just not fit enough). In Båstad I came across the signs of the Kattegattleden for the first time, a bike touring path following the western coast of Sweden from Helsingborg to Göteborg. On the next days I took this path and it certainly was worth it as it approached the sea as often as possible and I really discovered some great beaches and little towns along the coast that way.
Following the coast you pass Halmstad, Falkenberg and Varberg. North of Halmstad the coast, which until then could also be located in Denmark, starts to become rockier with little bays with beaches interrupting.This landscape also makes for slightly more demanding riding, as you have to deal with very short but also very steep climbs. With the heavy bike I found it very difficult to carry momentum and I was certainly happy that I decided to carry my clipless pedals and shoes.
After 9 days I reached Göteborg which I would highly recommend to see for everyone.

Overall I cycled 700 km in 10 days, the daily distance hovering between 11 km and 95 km. The riding was mostly great, as on the roads I chose there was little traffic or bike paths. Topographically, the coast is mostly flat, but better don't underestimate those short steep ramps. The weather was as good as you can expect it to be in this part of the world with around 20 C and mostly sunny. The only rain I had to deal with fell at night when I was in my tent, so that wasn't a problem. The wind was mostly strong but I felt it was rather a west-south-wester that was helping most of the time.
Around half the camp spots were wild, just somewhere in the forest, the other half I stayed on official camp grounds.

All in all, if you are suffering the heat in the hight of summer in southern Europe or elsewhere and you are seeking some refreshment and see air and you want to ride your (touring) bike, this definitely is a cool place to do so ;)

I hope this somehow fits in here as it rather became a holiday report, but hey, I was riding my bicycle :D
Sestriere

PreviousNext

Return to General