Register

Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

07 Feb 2017 05:36

Yeah, i think there's a drafting thread buried somewhere about strangers and protocol. It's an issue in the quasi urban environment with weekend warriors who are inexperienced and often on the limit. When some pull through they can't hold the pace and start to make mistakes. I still encourage it with young guys who are just excited and trying to learn.
aphronesis
Veteran

23 Mar 2017 08:23

Oh noes! Power was up, but speed was down, let's go do an extensive air temperature vs. drag analysis... :rolleyes:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Air_Temperature_and_Drag_P6255729/
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 13:06

Not just temperature! I thought the whole point of using a power meter was so this kind of nonsense became irrelevant?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

24 Mar 2017 21:15

King Boonen wrote:Not just temperature! I thought the whole point of using a power meter was so this kind of nonsense became irrelevant?

Power meter data helps one to understand both the supply and demand sides of the energy equation. And when (perhaps not real) anomalies occur, then sometimes one wants to know why. There is nothing particularly wrong with that.

Answers can be on either side of the supply or demand side. Some mistakenly go looking for minor issues when typically there are bigger factors in play, including of course the potential for measurement error.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

Re: Re:

24 Mar 2017 22:35

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Not just temperature! I thought the whole point of using a power meter was so this kind of nonsense became irrelevant?

Power meter data helps one to understand both the supply and demand sides of the energy equation. And when (perhaps not real) anomalies occur, then sometimes one wants to know why. There is nothing particularly wrong with that.

Answers can be on either side of the supply or demand side. Some mistakenly go looking for minor issues when typically there are bigger factors in play, including of course the potential for measurement error.

I get that, but there's so many other factors I'd be looking at first before I started analysing the air density and resistance. I just thought that the way simple explanations were overlooked was amusing, along with how quickly the analysis got so complicated.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 22:46

Everything same, more power but slower. Answer = weather. Something you have absolutely no control over. Unless you're the kind of person who wants to attempt to correct for it you just accept it and move on. Next we'll have bikes with wind socks on.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re: Should triathletes be allowed on bikes?

30 Mar 2017 00:46

"I have young kids and if I'm training early I can't use the toilet otherwise I'll wake the whole house up, so I've taken to crapping in a bag. I've become quite adept at it. My wife thinks it's weird and my Mum accidentally saw me in the act when she came to stay (she wakes early), so now she also thinks I'm very strange. Am I alone? What do other people do."

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Lavender_Room_F4/Crapping_in_a_plastic_bag_P6264637/
"Their world is crumbling. Ours is being built."
DamianoMachiavelli

Re:

30 Mar 2017 04:02

King Boonen wrote:Everything same, more power but slower. Answer = weather. Something you have absolutely no control over. Unless you're the kind of person who wants to attempt to correct for it you just accept it and move on. Next we'll have bikes with wind socks on.

Well the answer might be weather or partly due to weather. But there are other factors in play to consider (e.g. measurement errors and what causes them, some of which might be in the user's control). Nothing wrong with learning about the various impacts on the energy supply/demand equation, their relative importance and what it means for performance in TT-like disciplines. In such disciplines understanding those impacts can influence things like equipment choices or positional changes more suitable for different conditions.

I don't know about wind socks, but bikes are coming that will have inbuilt air velocity sensors as well as power meters.

30 Mar 2017 06:24

DamianoMachiavelli wrote:"I have young kids and if I'm training early I can't use the toilet otherwise I'll wake the whole house up, so I've taken to crapping in a bag. I've become quite adept at it. My wife thinks it's weird and my Mum accidentally saw me in the act when she came to stay (she wakes early), so now she also thinks I'm very strange. Am I alone? What do other people do."

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Lavender_Room_F4/Crapping_in_a_plastic_bag_P6264637/

I hope he's trolling...

You can never be truly sure with that site
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

30 Mar 2017 08:47

42x16ss wrote:
DamianoMachiavelli wrote:"I have young kids and if I'm training early I can't use the toilet otherwise I'll wake the whole house up, so I've taken to crapping in a bag. I've become quite adept at it. My wife thinks it's weird and my Mum accidentally saw me in the act when she came to stay (she wakes early), so now she also thinks I'm very strange. Am I alone? What do other people do."

I hope he's trolling...

You can never be truly sure with that site

There was a post a while back from a woman who had started tri and thought that when she asked and others said you just got to the toilet in your wetsuit that they meant taking a dump and apparently she did it on a group ride. Again, I'm almost certain it was trolling, no-one is that stupid surely?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

30 Mar 2017 20:07

It's the Lavender room. That should give you a clue.

31 Mar 2017 08:16

That's what they use to get rid of the smell?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

16 Aug 2017 22:37

User avatar Archibald

18 Aug 2017 13:56

Archibald wrote:Image

Awesome. There was actually an advertisement in a 'strayan triathlon magazine years ago that featured Michellie Jones riding with the advertisers helmet worn backwards.

There are lots of photos of this phenomenom...

winkybiker

10 Sep 2017 15:40

I'm sure some would object to my saying this, but on this morning's ride I went through DC and found street closings and preparations for " The National Triathlon ". I rode past the many tent structures and shelters, lights, generators, jons, mountains of food and water, scores of emergency services vehicles & personnel on the streets and in the River.
I thought what a tremendous waste of resources this is for a recreational event at this time, and how this is exactly what is sorely needed by the millions of people in our hurricane impacted states. I know life goes on, and who am I to say what others should do. But it seemed a pitiful indulgence.
God be with those who have, are and are about to be impacted by the storms of a lifetime.
biketheroad

12 Sep 2017 17:32

biketheroad wrote:I'm sure some would object to my saying this, but on this morning's ride I went through DC and found street closings and preparations for " The National Triathlon ". I rode past the many tent structures and shelters, lights, generators, jons, mountains of food and water, scores of emergency services vehicles & personnel on the streets and in the River.
I thought what a tremendous waste of resources this is for a recreational event at this time, and how this is exactly what is sorely needed by the millions of people in our hurricane impacted states. I know life goes on, and who am I to say what others should do. But it seemed a pitiful indulgence.
God be with those who have, are and are about to be impacted by the storms of a lifetime.

POST SCRIPT

The local Media I should point out, presented no coverage or reporting whatsoever of the Nat'l Tri.
biketheroad

19 Sep 2017 18:20

winkybiker wrote:
Archibald wrote:Image

Awesome. There was actually an advertisement in a 'strayan triathlon magazine years ago that featured Michellie Jones riding with the advertisers helmet worn backwards.

There are lots of photos of this phenomenom...

Backwards helmets? Oh dear as an ex triathlete I gotta say that is beyond embarrassing. Maybe just dizzy after the swim? But then again, those look like pro women? Sorry no excuse it seems Triathlete idiocy extends to the elite.
Cookster15

Previous

Return to General