Register

What type of pro rider would you want to be

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

11 Jul 2017 14:48

Of course the question is all about fantasy, and I know whatever rider I picked I could never be, and if I picked a rider I would correct whatever wrongs he did and never do those, again in the name of fantasy, so I would want to be Greg Lemond, but I would avoid hunting! I think if he hadn't been shot he could have won at least 4 and probably 5 TdF's and maybe even 6 by winning in 1987 and 1988 which was the two years he missed due to the hunting accident and might have been in just good enough shape to win his 6th in 91 even though he lost that year some of that could have been from the effects of 35 shotgun pellets still in his heart which were slowly poisoning him which perhaps didn't allow enough capacity or made him more tired than usual a few years down the road? It has been proven with him that if he rides a bike now hard for more than hour something is going on from those pellets, they call them leaking, so he limits his riding to just an hour a day.
froze

Re:

15 Sep 2017 12:04

froze wrote:Of course the question is all about fantasy, and I know whatever rider I picked I could never be, and if I picked a rider I would correct whatever wrongs he did and never do those, again in the name of fantasy, so I would want to be Greg Lemond, but I would avoid hunting! I think if he hadn't been shot he could have won at least 4 and probably 5 TdF's and maybe even 6 by winning in 1987 and 1988 which was the two years he missed due to the hunting accident and might have been in just good enough shape to win his 6th in 91 even though he lost that year some of that could have been from the effects of 35 shotgun pellets still in his heart which were slowly poisoning him which perhaps didn't allow enough capacity or made him more tired than usual a few years down the road? It has been proven with him that if he rides a bike now hard for more than hour something is going on from those pellets, they call them leaking, so he limits his riding to just an hour a day.

I would like to be LeMonster too; I am pretty much the exact same height/weight/build as Greg was in his prime but have a VO2 max about 40% lower... :lol:
Would be amazing to have had that incredible talent that he did.
Nellyspania

17 Sep 2017 00:26

1.75, used to be super skinny at like 58kg. Now I weigh about 66kg, I've put on a little fat but also some muscle. Always had a good kick going uphill and now that I've put on some weight I have gotten a lot stronger, but still not good enough to have a kick to be proud of on the flat. So probably a slightly weaker puncheur wouldn't be too far off, definitely one for the Ardennes more than Flanders though. Always found it difficult to ride over cobbles and/or gravel. I like to get out of the saddle too, so losing traction makes it difficult.

Of course I'd love to be a jack of all trades, but that's not very realistic.
User avatar jsem94

Re:

19 Sep 2017 06:34

jsem94 wrote:1.75, used to be super skinny at like 58kg. Now I weigh about 66kg, I've put on a little fat but also some muscle. Always had a good kick going uphill and now that I've put on some weight I have gotten a lot stronger, but still not good enough to have a kick to be proud of on the flat. So probably a slightly weaker puncheur wouldn't be too far off, definitely one for the Ardennes more than Flanders though. Always found it difficult to ride over cobbles and/or gravel. I like to get out of the saddle too, so losing traction makes it difficult.

Of course I'd love to be a jack of all trades, but that's not very realistic.

I would love to be 1.75 at 58kg, cyclingwise. I have the upper body of a 1.75 person, but the legs of a 1.90'er unfortunately. Just forget about the flat, let those heavy bastards have their fun out there. :D
Pennino

21 Sep 2017 23:21

id want to be a real old school big Belgian classics rider, famous for riding in a huge gear over the bergs and being great in terrible weather.
User avatar zlev11

Re: What type of pro rider would you want to be

09 Oct 2017 01:41

Dr. Watson wrote:Dont know if there has already been a thread like this or if I should put it in here but I am curious to hear from u guys what type of pro rider would you want to be? Do you want to be a climber in grand tours or would you rather win Paris Roubaix? You can share your thoughts and maybe dreams on here :)

I'd like to be an independently wealthy pro rider. Only problem with that is that I'd be telling the DS to get stuffed too often.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

09 Oct 2017 18:13

I'd want to be an exciting rider; someone who could win races in all different kinds of ways, and who'd be useful to my team when I wasn't trying to win myself.
I'd probably be a terrible rider; someone who could never win anything, and who'd be totally useless to my team anyway.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Nov 2017 17:42

I would be careful with Sagan :P
I'm 1.79 with 65 kg
I never thought about it, but I always liked Urlich
Magrys
Newly Registered Member

Re: What type of pro rider would you want to be

17 Nov 2017 19:31

I would probably want to be a climber. I've always liked mountains very much since I went on holidays to Switzerland with my parents as a kid. Sometimes during the summers when the TDF was on, as a kid, I would imagine climbing some epic mountain pass while riding my bike (which requires a lot of imagination in the Netherlands). I also can't deny imagining to be Armstrong while riding my bike as a kid. :p

But 'alas, then I grew up and became 190cm and 80kg. I used to be really skinny though, but I did some more sports than just cycling. Maybe if I focused solely on cycling I could've remained borderline underweight and become a Froome-like climber? ;)

Nahh, these days I like the classics best anyway and I've had some experience with cobbles (mostly cobbled climbs) in Belgium by now, and I actually kinda liked doing cobbles, so yeah cobbled classic rider it is. :cool:
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Previous

Return to General