Register

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

22 Dec 2017 11:55

Former U23 Australian champ Jason Lowndes killed while training near Bendigo this morning:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/male-cyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-car-near-bendigo/news-story/8ee89fb93ea317046c2b3d6b38bd1aa6

He turned 23 last week :sad: :mad:
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Driving into cyclists the Emma way

27 Dec 2017 16:57

The Tennessee (former) headmaster (I posted details of previously) who was filmed on GoPro sideswiping a bicyclist with his Volvo shooting brake and speeding away is scheduled to go to trial on 29 May of next year.

...If convicted of the federal charges, Neely faces 2-12 years in prison on the reckless aggravated assault charge; up to 5 years in prison for lying to a federal agent; and up to 20 years in prison for obstructing justice....

In interviews after the fact (presumedly once he'd sobered up), he continued to refer to his victim as the 'unfortunate young man who struck his car.'
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

Re: Driving into cyclists the Emma way

28 Dec 2017 00:01

StyrbjornSterki wrote:The Tennessee (former) headmaster (I posted details of previously) who was filmed on GoPro sideswiping a bicyclist with his Volvo shooting brake and speeding away is scheduled to go to trial on 29 May of next year.

...If convicted of the federal charges, Neely faces 2-12 years in prison on the reckless aggravated assault charge; up to 5 years in prison for lying to a federal agent; and up to 20 years in prison for obstructing justice....

In interviews after the fact (presumedly once he'd sobered up), he continued to refer to his victim as the 'unfortunate young man who struck his car.'

The delusions of alcohol and characters that are bad enough before they start drinking.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Jan 2018 09:54

User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

16 Jan 2018 03:34

FFS

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/38612559/drug-driver-who-hit-vic-cyclist-appeals/?cmp=st

“I didn’t mean to hit him head on your honour, I was high on ice. He didn’t even die or nothin!”
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

16 Jan 2018 15:52

I'm sorry... what? Being high is an excuse for hitting someone? What the **** is wrong with people? "Unfortunately breaking one law caused me to accidentally break another."

Hitting people is illegal in Australia, right? From some of the cases being posted around here, I'm kinda not sure...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 Jan 2018 20:24

It’s supposedly illegal, but you’re never certain what the consequences for the driver will be. The driver will always have excuses offered up for them by certain demographics.

Read the whole article, it’s a prime example of where this selfish, ridiculous country is at ATM.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

16 Jan 2018 23:18

42x16ss wrote:It’s supposedly illegal, but you’re never certain what the consequences for the driver will be. The driver will always have excuses offered up for them by certain demographics.

Read the whole article, it’s a prime example of where this selfish, ridiculous country is at ATM.

The judge would have to be on ice to give her a sentence reduction. I don't think it's going to happen, well you can only hope. I'm sure victims advocate groups would be up in arms about it if the sentence was reduced. Either way, there is no cure for stupidity and immoral behavior and jail often doesn't change people anyway, sometimes it just makes people worse. These are the cases that the courts and legal practitioners have to get right with their sentencing and also aligning with community expectations.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

17 Jan 2018 21:04

Hitting people is illegal in Australia, right? From some of the cases being posted around here, I'm kinda not sure...

Not if they're riding a bike it is not.
winkybiker

Previous

Return to General