Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

08 Apr 2019 15:14

wheresmybrakes wrote:Starting to up the mileage in my legs in preparation for the Velo Birmingham 100 miler. I've been getting in 50+ miles in recently but I've been having problems with my toes and feet getting numb. I've tried changing the saddle to a more narrower one and trying slightly different height positions to no avail, also the shoes are a half size too big which gives me plenty of room so it's not as though my feet are squashed in the shoes. Has anyone else come across this problem before? It normally starts to get numb after about 30 miles or so which means every now and then I have to either unclip a foot at a time and wiggle my leg to get some of the blood flow going or stop and walk around for a minute or so. Any advice would be great.

If your shoes are too big there's a possibility that your foot is moving forward and squashing into the end of the shoe. Make sure the strap closest to your leg is done up well enough so your foot won't move forward.

Are you using road or MTB cleats?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

10 Apr 2019 17:06

Another big ride, +1 hour alone and 1 hour and 45 min with the club. Endurance first and speed with the group ride, Im slowly getting where I was last year.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Apr 2019 21:06

I was doing okay the last two weeks with o/a 230 km and 4300 m of climbing. Was pretty much bonking hard on my first 3h+ ride of the year though, the last climb (Königstuhl from the southeast) with 7.9 km @ 5.6 % was pure horror, although the gradient seems nice to just roll up there the middle section is actually quite a bit steeper, the steepest ramps are something like 15 %, that's only very short though.
Unfortunately my spring motivation was hampered now by a stomach virus but I hope to return to the road for the weekend.
Sestriere

11 Apr 2019 19:40

Well, I did my "Ringaden Ride", a slightly extended version.
First of all, I had to actually get to the south-end, so I went out to Viborgvej, down to Ringaden, and out to the end.
Then I decided I might as well continue out to the stadium.
Finally, when I got to the other end, I didn't realise/forgot that Dr Margrethes Vej becomes Grenåvej in that intersection, so... I almost* ended up in Grenå, but hey! Haven't we all done stuff like that?
(Then I turned back, and went down to my parents, who live near the university.)

*I'm exagerating(sp?) here, I didn't even make it to Ringvejen.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

12 Apr 2019 18:28

RedheadDane wrote:Well, I did my "Ringaden Ride", a slightly extended version.
First of all, I had to actually get to the south-end, so I went out to Viborgvej, down to Ringaden, and out to the end.
Finally, when I got to the other end, I didn't realise/forgot that Dr Margrethes Vej becomes Grenåvej in that intersection, so... I almost* ended up in Grenå, but hey! Haven't we all done stuff like that?
(Then I turned back, and went down to my parents, who live near the university.)

Aw, I should have known, I could have painted RHD on the road and cheered you on as I live just a few hundred metres from Ringgaden (you realise there are two g's there, right (as there also is in exaggerating)) :D

Nice to see you exploit the lovely summer temperatures we are enjoying currently...
User avatar tobydawq

13 Apr 2019 07:12

I'm planning a trip to Vejle in a few weeks.

How many of you guys from Denmark are familiar with the hills in that area? I've been there before but only once. Which hill(s) to you find the hardest?

I remember Højen Skovvej being pretty epic. The surrounding trees give you a lot of oxygen to the brain. But it is not recommended as a descent since there are many holes in the bottom. It's only 1km at 7-8% but it's still going uphill for another k after you leave the forest. When you leave the forest, it's like being in Belgium. You get really close to the rural landscape.
User avatar Velolover2

Re:

13 Apr 2019 07:37

Velolover2 wrote:I'm planning a trip to Vejle in a few weeks.

How many of you guys from Denmark are familiar with the hills in that area? I've been there before but only once. Which hill(s) to you find the hardest?

I remember Højen Skovvej being pretty epic. The surrounding trees give you a lot of oxygen to the brain. But it is not recommended as a descent since there are many holes in the bottom. It's only 1km at 7-8% but it's still going uphill for another k after you leave the forest. When you leave the forest, it's like being in Belgium. You get really close to the rural landscape.

The hardest: Gl. Kongevej (especially if you take the first part on Chr. Winthers Vej, which is the steepest street in Denmark).

The most spectacular: Munkebjerg which is also very hard and has a few hairpin bends.

The most famous: Kiddesvej. Not as hard but still quite steep and with a lot of inscriptions on the road from PNDR it has a nice vibe.

And there are more but I haven't been riding there that many times.
User avatar tobydawq

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

13 Apr 2019 08:36

wheresmybrakes wrote:Starting to up the mileage in my legs in preparation for the Velo Birmingham 100 miler. I've been getting in 50+ miles in recently but I've been having problems with my toes and feet getting numb. I've tried changing the saddle to a more narrower one and trying slightly different height positions to no avail, also the shoes are a half size too big which gives me plenty of room so it's not as though my feet are squashed in the shoes. Has anyone else come across this problem before? It normally starts to get numb after about 30 miles or so which means every now and then I have to either unclip a foot at a time and wiggle my leg to get some of the blood flow going or stop and walk around for a minute or so. Any advice would be great.

Cleat position!!!!

Move cleats back. Should be such that pedal spindle is slightly (ie a few mm) behind ball of big toe
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

13 Apr 2019 08:46

tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Well, I did my "Ringaden Ride", a slightly extended version.

Aw, I should have known, I could have painted RHD on the road and cheered you on as I live just a few hundred metres from Ringgaden (you realise there are two g's there, right (as there also is in exaggerating)) :D

Nice to see you exploit the lovely summer temperatures we are enjoying currently...

Well… English is hard!
And so is spelling the name of a road I ride along about twice a week… :o
Anyway, dunno whereabout near Ringgaden you live, but if you were anywhere near Grenåvej, and saw some idiot almost falling over... then that was probably me…
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Apr 2019 13:58

tobydawq wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:I'm planning a trip to Vejle in a few weeks.

The hardest: Gl. Kongevej (especially if you take the first part on Chr. Winthers Vej, which is the steepest street in Denmark).

The most spectacular: Munkebjerg which is also very hard and has a few hairpin bends.

The most famous: Kiddesvej. Not as hard but still quite steep and with a lot of inscriptions on the road from PNDR it has a nice vibe.

And there are more but I haven't been riding there that many times.

Thanks! Excluding the tunnel, Munkebjerg seems to be on a quite broad road compared to the narrow nature of the Vejle climbs.

The Østengård hill is another 1 km climb about 8%. Those hills are comparable to the worst climbs in AGR. They are a bit shorter but steeper than those in Amstel. You could make a great hilly Ardennes-ish classic in that region if you wanted to.

The Danes almost deserve a WT race with all the strong newcorners and old legends. It could be placed as a warm-up up race to the Ardennes after Roubaix but before Amstel.

All the teams not racing Brabantse Pijl could be racing the Vejle Classic. But it shouldn't end on Kiddesvej. That would ruin the signature stage of the Tour of Denmark. You could make the finish flat so the climbs would be raced more aggressively. Perhaps with that muro-climb (Gl. Kongevej) you talked about as the last hill.
User avatar Velolover2

14 Apr 2019 07:44

Yeah, Munkebjerg is actually not in Vejle, you have to ride six kilometres on a beach road (it's called Strandvej in Danish, but as I write this I realise that the term beach road in English probably sounds like it's not asphalted which isn't the case at all) until you get there. And yes, it's quite a broad road but a peloton would get really constricted at the buttom due to the narrow tunnel.

I think a one-day race in this region would be fantastic but it can't collide with the Brabantse Pijl because all the people who want to ride such a race that day do it in Belgium.
User avatar tobydawq

14 Apr 2019 11:39

Yes, you are correct. Placing it in the autumn season might be a better choice. There is more space on the late calender. Perhaps, you could add it somewhere between Hamburg, Bretagne and the Canadian classics. The potential of rain would make it harder.
User avatar Velolover2

Previous

Return to General