Log in:  

Register

Building A Cycling Bookshelf

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

28 Dec 2015 11:16

fmk_RoI wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I thought that was just photography? Worth the money?


Worth it if you see it discounted. Personally I enjoyed it - the mix of writing and pictures - far more than I enjoyed the Fotheringham (which somehow felt a bit flat to me, by the numbers, not really adding anything to the story).


I'm a bit agnostic about Fotheringham as well at times. There's always parts of his books where I drift off

The best written book for me was Richard Moore's 'Etape'. The story of 20 key stages of The Tour De France through the years. And am currently enjoying David Cossins 'Monuments'. Great for people like me who know virtually nothing about the history of these races before the last 5-10 years.
postmanhat
Member
 
Posts: 712
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 17:47
Location: Derby, UK

Re: Re:

30 Dec 2015 10:00

postmanhat wrote:The best written book for me was Richard Moore's 'Etape'. The story of 20 key stages of The Tour De France through the years.


If you like Étape try Pickering's Yellow Jersey Club.
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,887
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

30 Dec 2015 10:03

postmanhat wrote: And am currently enjoying David Cossins 'Monuments'. Great for people like me who know virtually nothing about the history of these races before the last 5-10 years.


This is a brilliant book, one you can dip in and out of, re-read etc. Definitely required reading.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,410
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

12 Jan 2016 17:45

"Over the Hills" from David Lamb. Its a mid-life crisis story about riding accross the US. Good read.
dhungerf
New Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 11 Jun 2015 11:50

19 Jan 2017 15:43

The annual bump for this. What've you been reading? What are you looking forward to reading?

If it helps any, the best of 2016's cycling books, and some of 2017's to look forward to: http://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2017/1/18/14308932/8-books-2016s-top-10-cycling-books
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,887
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

09 Feb 2017 13:41

Sorry to jump on the thread, but would any of you be interested in writing up a book review for Cycling World magazine? We tend to feature a book every month, so your opinions would be very much appreciated.
SuzannaCyclingWorld
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 14:46

Re:

09 Feb 2017 14:44

SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:Sorry to jump on the thread, but would any of you be interested in writing up a book review for Cycling World magazine? We tend to feature a book every month, so your opinions would be very much appreciated.


What's the pay like?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,410
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

11 Feb 2017 12:29

We've no budget for the book reviews I'm afraid, so I know its a cheeky ask, but it really was just on the off-chance that someone might be interested in seeing their reviews in a national magazine.

A few people have sent me private messages but I can't respond yet I'm afraid! Hopefully they will see this message instead!
SuzannaCyclingWorld
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 14:46

Re:

11 Feb 2017 19:34

SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:We've no budget for the book reviews I'm afraid, so I know its a cheeky ask, but it really was just on the off-chance that someone might be interested in seeing their reviews in a national magazine.

A few people have sent me private messages but I can't respond yet I'm afraid! Hopefully they will see this message instead!

You need 10 to post comments before you can PM anyone or respond to theirs.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,061
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

11 Feb 2017 22:31

No budget, must be a free magazine then. Oh wait, it's not.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,410
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

12 Feb 2017 04:36

SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:We've no budget for the book reviews I'm afraid, so I know its a cheeky ask, but it really was just on the off-chance that someone might be interested in seeing their reviews in a national magazine.

A few people have sent me private messages but I can't respond yet I'm afraid! Hopefully they will see this message instead!


I would still be interested sans any payment. For me it would be enjoyment anyway and I have plenty of time on my hands.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,917
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

13 Feb 2017 09:13

Irondan wrote:
SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:We've no budget for the book reviews I'm afraid, so I know its a cheeky ask, but it really was just on the off-chance that someone might be interested in seeing their reviews in a national magazine.

A few people have sent me private messages but I can't respond yet I'm afraid! Hopefully they will see this message instead!

You need 10 to post comments before you can PM anyone or respond to theirs.


I thought it would be something like that. Thank you!
SuzannaCyclingWorld
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 14:46

Re: Re:

13 Feb 2017 09:16

movingtarget wrote:
SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:We've no budget for the book reviews I'm afraid, so I know its a cheeky ask, but it really was just on the off-chance that someone might be interested in seeing their reviews in a national magazine.

A few people have sent me private messages but I can't respond yet I'm afraid! Hopefully they will see this message instead!


I would still be interested sans any payment. For me it would be enjoyment anyway and I have plenty of time on my hands.


That's great, thank you! You can email me at suziegoldfinch@gmail.com with your suggestions if you like.
SuzannaCyclingWorld
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Feb 2017 14:46

Re: Re:

15 Feb 2017 18:54

King Boonen wrote:
SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:Sorry to jump on the thread, but would any of you be interested in writing up a book review for Cycling World magazine? We tend to feature a book every month, so your opinions would be very much appreciated.


What's the pay like?
Anyone know the magazine? Does it have any real contributors, names someone might recognise?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,887
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

15 Feb 2017 22:33

fmk_RoI wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
SuzannaCyclingWorld wrote:Sorry to jump on the thread, but would any of you be interested in writing up a book review for Cycling World magazine? We tend to feature a book every month, so your opinions would be very much appreciated.


What's the pay like?
Anyone know the magazine? Does it have any real contributors, names someone might recognise?

Can't find much. They charge real magazine money for it though. They just don't want to pay people for content it seems.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,410
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

16 Feb 2017 01:03

Home page is marketing accessories for young children on scooters.

It only has 5 stories since 18th Oct, of which 4 are about beer and only one of those directly related to cycling (trying to claim that sponsorship from a brewery breaks UCI's rules about sponsorships from brands of spirits); the other is about Yanto Barker's clothing line getting some crowd funding interest.

Would I trust a cycling magazine that thinks these are the pressing issues of the last 4 months? No.
Would I believe that such a magazine is not interested in paying reviewers of cycling books? Yes.
User avatar Armchair cyclist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,386
Joined: 22 Mar 2010 17:28
Location: East of England, West of Ireland

Re:

16 Feb 2017 10:10

Armchair cyclist wrote:Home page is marketing accessories for young children on scooters.

It only has 5 stories since 18th Oct, of which 4 are about beer and only one of those directly related to cycling (trying to claim that sponsorship from a brewery breaks UCI's rules about sponsorships from brands of spirits); the other is about Yanto Barker's clothing line getting some crowd funding interest.

Would I trust a cycling magazine that thinks these are the pressing issues of the last 4 months? No.
Would I believe that such a magazine is not interested in paying reviewers of cycling books? Yes.


Seems to be more of a general type cycling mag, not so much about racing but plenty about cycling tours, holidays and such. I guess there is a niche for that type of mag otherwise it would not still be operating.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,917
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

02 Apr 2017 14:31

With the Giro coming, some books about the Giro, Italian cycling and Italian cyclists:

Giro 100 - 100 years, 100 contributors, by Herbie Sykes

Corsa Rosa - A History of the Giro d'Italia, by Brendan Gallagher

Giro d'Italia - The Story of the World's Most Beautiful Bike Race, by Colin O'Brien

Pedalare! Pedalare! - A History of Italian Cycling, by John Foot

Maglia Rosa - Triumph and Tragedy at the Giro d'Italia, by Herbie Sykes

The Story of the Giro d'Italia - A Year-by-Year History of the Tour of Italy, by Bill and Carol McGann

The Giro D'Italia - Coppi Vs Bartali at the 1949 Tour of Italy, by Dino Buzzati

Coppi - Inside the Legend of the Campionissimo, by Herbie Sykes

The Eagle of the Canavese - Franco Balmamion and the Giro d'Italia, by Herbie Sykes

Fallen Angel - The Passion of Fausto Coppi, by William Fotheringam

Road to Valour - Gino Bartali, Tour de France Legend and Italy's Secret World War Two Hero, by Aili McConnon and Andrea McConnon

If you've read any of those books, which are your favourites? Any additions that should be on the list?
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,887
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

Re: Re:

04 Apr 2017 13:18

movingtarget wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:Home page is marketing accessories for young children on scooters.

It only has 5 stories since 18th Oct, of which 4 are about beer and only one of those directly related to cycling (trying to claim that sponsorship from a brewery breaks UCI's rules about sponsorships from brands of spirits); the other is about Yanto Barker's clothing line getting some crowd funding interest.

Would I trust a cycling magazine that thinks these are the pressing issues of the last 4 months? No.
Would I believe that such a magazine is not interested in paying reviewers of cycling books? Yes.


Seems to be more of a general type cycling mag, not so much about racing but plenty about cycling tours, holidays and such. I guess there is a niche for that type of mag otherwise it would not still be operating.


It is probably a 1 or 2 persons operation out of a living room/spare bedroom. Hence they can survive on little and cannot afford to pay for content, lifting as much as they can or getting peeps to do it for free. New world order in publishing.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,034
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re: Re:

04 Apr 2017 15:27

Benotti69 wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:Home page is marketing accessories for young children on scooters.

It only has 5 stories since 18th Oct, of which 4 are about beer and only one of those directly related to cycling (trying to claim that sponsorship from a brewery breaks UCI's rules about sponsorships from brands of spirits); the other is about Yanto Barker's clothing line getting some crowd funding interest.

Would I trust a cycling magazine that thinks these are the pressing issues of the last 4 months? No.
Would I believe that such a magazine is not interested in paying reviewers of cycling books? Yes.


Seems to be more of a general type cycling mag, not so much about racing but plenty about cycling tours, holidays and such. I guess there is a niche for that type of mag otherwise it would not still be operating.


It is probably a 1 or 2 persons operation out of a living room/spare bedroom. Hence they can survive on little and cannot afford to pay for content, lifting as much as they can or getting peeps to do it for free. New world order in publishing.
Creating a new cycling magazine is the new writing a book...
User avatar fmk_RoI
Member
 
Posts: 1,887
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 07:31

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Back to top
cron