Register

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Dec 2017 21:33

Here’s some regular Aussie larrikin humour:

Just some harmless fun.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

10 Dec 2017 21:34

Here’s some more:

User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

10 Dec 2017 21:36

42x16ss wrote:Here’s some regular Aussie larrikin humour:

Just some harmless fun.

Now there's an idea for a movie............
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Dec 2017 03:02

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyclist-dead-after-being-hit-by-car-in-macedon-20171210-h022q4.html

Another cyclist down. From the article... "Six years ago, a bike lane was installed on the same stretch of road but it was removed amid community opposition." I guess killing the odd cyclist is the price we need to pay so we aren't late.
winkybiker

Re:

11 Dec 2017 04:48

42x16ss wrote:Here’s some more:

https://www.facebook.com/warren.tomlinson.39

DO NOT read the comments.
winkybiker

11 Dec 2017 08:25

That is sickening! :mad:

And what's with the term pushbikes? :confused:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

11 Dec 2017 14:49

RedheadDane wrote:That is sickening! :mad:

It's a 'strayan term. It means bicycle. It is not a term cyclists use, even in 'straya. I told you not to read the comments.
winkybiker

11 Dec 2017 15:03

I'd kinda figured it's a term no cyclist would use. Just been a bit confused about the term for a while, since push bike - at least to me - indicates a comparison to the running (push) bikes small children use. Which, I guess, is an attempt to make cyclists seem as immature (why aren't they driving when they're old enought?) but... surely nobody would think it's okay to hit children riding their bikes, right? RIGHT?

And I didn't read the comment - didn't wanna sit at work and get all pissed off - the term is right there in the photo 42x16ss posted, not to mention it isn't the first time I've seen it.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Dec 2017 19:33

winkybiker wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:That is sickening! :mad:

It's a 'strayan term. It means bicycle. It is not a term cyclists use, even in 'straya. I told you not to read the comments.

Australians use the term pushbike to distinguish from a motorbike.

e.g. when I'm asked about my injury and I say it was the result of a bike or cycle accident, many Australians assume I was riding a motorbike. I often need to correct them and explain "no, I was riding a pushbike", then they understand.

It's actually an old fashioned English word, not unique to Australia. In slang terms it's often shortened to "pushy". We even have an online bicycle retail outlet called Pushys.

I see no big deal in using an alternative word for something, that's pretty normal with English variants across the world.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

11 Dec 2017 19:43

Guess I'm the other way around; whenever someone talk about riding their bike (meaning motorbike) I'm basically: "No, you were riding your motorbike. The bike - short for bicycle - came first."

("I'm the other way around." Can you even say that? Well... I just did!)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 Dec 2017 20:40

winkybiker wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Here’s some more:

https://www.facebook.com/warren.tomlinson.39

DO NOT read the comments.

I reported the linked post above to Facebook as a post that incited or encouraged violence. I'd encourage others to do the same, but not to engage in the idiotic conversation on that post.
winkybiker

Re:

11 Dec 2017 23:04

RedheadDane wrote:Guess I'm the other way around; whenever someone talk about riding their bike (meaning motorbike) I'm basically: "No, you were riding your motorbike. The bike - short for bicycle - came first."

("I'm the other way around." Can you even say that? Well... I just did!)

I realise the history but language is an evolving thing. In this case it demonstrates the loss of cycling's legitimacy in the consciousness of Australians.

Keep in mind that since the collapse in cycling participation in the 1990s, especially in the number of kids cycling to school, we now have generation of kids today whose parents have never ridden a bicycle. This is the new normal in Australia.

12 Dec 2017 07:17

14 Dec 2017 00:24

Just back on the use of the term "pushbike", this morning I had a tradie come around to repair a sliding door. Upon seeing me with a missing leg he asked me what happened and I gave my usual - "it was a cycling accident" response. After a bit of a pause, he then asked "pushbike?" "Yes" I replied.

Re:

14 Dec 2017 03:24

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Just back on the use of the term "pushbike", this morning I had a tradie come around to repair a sliding door. Upon seeing me with a missing leg he asked me what happened and I gave my usual - "it was a cycling accident" response. After a bit of a pause, he then asked "pushbike?" "Yes" I replied.

don't forget, "riding along on my pushbike, honey..." "sshh, sshh, aah"...

as for the dashcam post - how did the driver not see the rider??
User avatar Archibald

14 Dec 2017 07:46

Archibald wrote:don't forget, "riding along on my pushbike, honey..." "sshh, sshh, aah"...

Oh lord why did you remind me?
My old man bought us the Mixtures' album. When was that? 1969? :o

Re:

14 Dec 2017 09:20

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Just back on the use of the term "pushbike", this morning I had a tradie come around to repair a sliding door. Upon seeing me with a missing leg he asked me what happened and I gave my usual - "it was a cycling accident" response. After a bit of a pause, he then asked "pushbike?" "Yes" I replied.

You're. Missing. Your. LEG?

Well, I guess your profile picture kinda gives it away...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

14 Dec 2017 10:03

RedheadDane wrote:

You're. Missing. Your. LEG?

Well, I guess your profile picture kinda gives it away...

Lower left leg, yes. Result of a cycling accident while out on a morning ride. Bit over 10 years ago. Long story, negligence by local council in their response to dealing with local car hoons. Dealt with hoon problem but endangered cyclists in the process.

15 Dec 2017 02:30

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Archibald wrote:don't forget, "riding along on my pushbike, honey..." "sshh, sshh, aah"...

Oh lord why did you remind me?
My old man bought us the Mixtures' album. When was that? 1969? :o

no idea. I only know of it from flashback/music docos, and my folks old 'classics' radio station that they listened to...
User avatar Archibald

Re: Driving into cyclists the Emma way

15 Dec 2017 07:46

A much better bicycle song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyQxJ8d5PPo

No, not Freddy
User avatar Stingray34

PreviousNext

Return to General