Register

Best tuck position

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Best tuck position

21 May 2014 23:40

Not all the pros or racers do a downhill tuck the same way.

Got a favorite?
Is it different for straights vs mountain curves vs weather vs feel like not crashing today?
sponsor

22 May 2014 02:14

I like the guys (like Phinney recently showed in Cali) who get down on their top tube. It's painful to think of what could happen if they slipped up. :D Of course you can't descend in that position if there are alot of turns.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

22 May 2014 02:37

Perhaps not the best, but certainly no more dangerous than sitting on the top tube:

The traditional style is still the best all-round position:

Mama mia, dove sono i farmacia!
User avatar For The World

22 May 2014 02:49

I do traditional. Stay on the saddle, feet even. Chin on the stem. I'll sometimes put my hands together on the bars under my chin with elbows tucked in, but not for long.

I've tried sliding down onto the top tube but it's very scary because you end up far forward over the front wheel.
winkybiker

22 May 2014 10:41

deValtos

22 May 2014 16:36

I used to see more hanging over the wheel and abs on seat, but many setups have the bars more forward now.

The on the seat and deep tuck do put more frontal area to the wind. The Phinney tuck in the ToC seems more close to what is popular, except he is very forward. I am seeing the sitting on the top tube more common and have heard comments about frames and top tube shape/ slope being better for this than others (obviously).

One rider puts shoulders on bars (along with hands) on TT. Phinney (much bigger guy was hanging his shoulders way in front of the bars and most weight was on his front wheel. That scares me.
sponsor

22 May 2014 18:30

sponsor wrote:Not all the pros or racers do a downhill tuck the same way.

Got a favorite?
Is it different for straights vs mountain curves vs weather vs feel like not crashing today?

As opposed to the days when you feel like crashing?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

22 May 2014 20:03

RedheadDane wrote:As opposed to the days when you feel like crashing?

Yes that's it, sometimes I just feel like wiping out! I'm going down a descent and I think, hey I want to fall. Especially if it's raining - I like to see how far I can slide. It's just another way to have epic stories to tell.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

22 May 2014 21:31

Some days, riders are willing to take more risk than others don't you think?
sponsor

27 May 2014 17:47

The lower you can get your head, basically the more aero you will be. Generally speaking, head position is the part that affects aerodynamics the MOST of all on a bike.
lexalbrecht
Newly Registered Member

27 May 2014 18:23

lexalbrecht wrote:The lower you can get your head, basically the more aero you will be. Generally speaking, head position is the part that affects aerodynamics the MOST of all on a bike.

What about elbows?
Only proper cycling fans appreciate flat sprint stages - Strawberry_jams
kingjr

05 Jun 2014 11:13

winkybiker wrote:I do traditional. Stay on the saddle, feet even. Chin on the stem. I'll sometimes put my hands together on the bars under my chin with elbows tucked in, but not for long.

I've tried sliding down onto the top tube but it's very scary because you end up far forward over the front wheel.

Same here! Don't like the off the back of the saddle either.
User avatar mambo1

05 Jun 2014 14:00

I have been thinking of fitting my droper post from my mtb to my road bike. Lowers the center of gravity and helps with the "Tuck Postion".
User avatar deboat

05 Jun 2014 15:16

I remember seeing Pantani in a very low tuck on a very fast Tour descent, though he still couldn't hold on to Indurain's back wheel, but then the motorbike was having trouble as well.
Hawkwood

06 Jun 2014 11:17

How to do the tuck:

How NOT to do the tuck:

How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

07 Jun 2014 02:18

You don't break the hour record without you have a pretty aero riding position.

Styrbjorn the Strong
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

07 Jun 2014 16:29

I was more curious about UCI legal equipment tucks.
sponsor

10 Jun 2014 00:03

sponsor wrote:I was more curious about UCI legal equipment tucks.

It's not the handlebars that make this position effective. You also can do "shoulders over bars, hands beneath shoulders, elbows tucked" with Maes bend bars. The point is the torso is horizontal (minimizing frontal area) and the handlebars are somewhat sheltered from the wind by the rider's head and shoulders, so that handlebars and rider do not comprise two separate sources of drag. The problem with it is that much weight on the front wheel on a mass start geometry frame tends to make handling squirrely.
Styrbjorn the Strong
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

10 Jun 2014 07:53

StyrbjornSterki wrote:It's not the handlebars that make this position effective. You also can do "shoulders over bars, hands beneath shoulders, elbows tucked" with Maes bend bars. The point is the torso is horizontal (minimizing frontal area) and the handlebars are somewhat sheltered from the wind by the rider's head and shoulders, so that handlebars and rider do not comprise two separate sources of drag. The problem with it is that much weight on the front wheel on a mass start geometry frame tends to make handling squirrely.

He was riding this position on the road for years, amazing given the bike was made out of all sorts of bits and pieces. I was lucky enough to see Obree beat the British 10 and 50 mile records in one weekend many years ago, using this position and a fairly large fixed gear!
Hawkwood

10 Jun 2014 08:01

TT'ing should be ok in that position as long as the course isn't technical but I wouldn't let that bike within a mile of a road race!
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Next

Return to General