Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

21 Aug 2016 13:02

Oh, and thats 340 km on a week. I know it doesn't sound like anything special to many of you, but probably the most I've ridden in such a span. Rest day Monday!!

Andreas Riis on Strava
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

24 Aug 2016 18:53

https://www.strava.com/activities/687550723/segments/16852312629

Auch. Exposed roads, windy and decently hilly with some guys I haven't raced with yet (higher level). Average HR 172, absolutely boned... thought about quitting, call mom and begin to cry numerous times.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

24 Aug 2016 20:28

Valv.Piti wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/687550723/segments/16852312629

Auch. Exposed roads, windy and decently hilly with some guys I haven't raced with yet (higher level). Average HR 172, absolutely boned... thought about quitting, call mom and begin to cry numerous times.

:lol: Tell me about it...

I climbed up Alto de l'Angliru a week ago. The climb was so steep on the 20% ramps, that my front wheel constantly lifted itself from the ground. In fact, whenever the gradient was only 11-14%, I felt blessed by being able to atleast control my rhythm. Eventually I was climbing in a "Cadel Evans"-position, just to keep the front wheel on the ground, which led to an instant pain in the back. 150 meters before the hairpin that follows the 23,5 % ramp, I then had to swallow my pride and walk 100m until the gradient easened a bit. My Garmin device showed 25%!

Compared to the climbs in the Alpines and Pyrenees, this was in a different league - the physical and mental demands as well as the scenery was unique from anything else I've experienced. Close to the summit I climbed above the clouds and suddenly I could look down on them from an altitude of only 1400 meters - along with the surreal view of the green hills in the background.

Luckily I filmed the whole thing on my GoPro action cam. I might try and throw a video-link for the Cuena les Cabres section later.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

24 Aug 2016 20:34

Cance > TheRest wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/687550723/segments/16852312629

I climbed up Alto de l'Angliru a week ago. The climb was so steep on the 20% ramps, that my front wheel constantly lifted itself from the ground. In fact, whenever the gradient was only 11-14%, I felt blessed by being able to atleast control my rhythm. Eventually I was climbing in a "Cadel Evans"-position, just to keep the front wheel on the ground, which led to an instant pain in the back. 150 meters before the hairpin that follows the 23,5 % ramp, I then had to swallow my pride and walk 100m until the gradient easened a bit. My Garmin device showed 25%!

Compared to the climbs in the Alpines and Pyrenees, this was in a different league - the physical and mental demands as well as the scenery was unique from anything else I've experienced. Close to the summit I climbed above the clouds and suddenly I could look down on them from an altitude of only 1400 meters - along with the surreal view of the green hills in the background.

Luckily I filmed the whole thing on my GoPro action cam. I might try and throw a video-link for the Cuena les Cabres section later.

Cool post... I'd like to see that GoPro video! :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

24 Aug 2016 21:36

Cance > TheRest wrote:

Cool post, I felt the same last year when I climbed the Lienzner Dolomitenhütte, 7km at 13.6%. Usually I can deal with dry heat, but that day was just too much, almost 38°C down in Lienz, add that heat to the brutal climb and you have a huge amout of suffering on your bike, at one point I had to stop to rest for some time, the heat was just too much. Usually I can somehow deal with really steep gradents (mostly because I'm using granny gears), even if I don't really like over 12% steep sections, but those gradients + the heat was just too much for me.
User avatar Mayomaniac

24 Aug 2016 21:46

Brutal climbs you guys are climbing. I'll have to try for realz next summer, can't wait, the hardest I've done is Pra Martino in 2011 pretty much.

Going to Mallorca for a week, thinking about La Marmotte as well.
User avatar Valv.Piti

25 Aug 2016 10:35

Slow and genuinely nice 50k morning ride today. Very warm in Denmark right now, loving it.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

26 Aug 2016 16:13

Back after a 'cycling vacation' for a week in Limburg. Bloody hot, especially the last days. But i have climbed them all: Keutenberg, Eyserbos, Cauberg, Camerig and many more!

And this killer: the Dodeman! ;)

User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

26 Aug 2016 16:19

So now its only natural to show of your cycling-tan!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

26 Aug 2016 16:27

Valv.Piti wrote:So now its only natural to show of your cycling-tan!

User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

26 Aug 2016 17:19

Hahaha
User avatar Valv.Piti

26 Aug 2016 19:39

Quickly piled together a video of my Angliru ascent from bottom to top. The really steep stuff begins 2 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvF5zYCFM7I&feature=youtu.be
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.

Re:

26 Aug 2016 21:14

Cance > TheRest wrote:Quickly piled together a video of my Angliru ascent from bottom to top. The really steep stuff begins 2 minutes into the video.

Great video, watching it already makes my legs hurt. :D
What kind of gearing did you use?
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re: Re:

27 Aug 2016 12:21

Mayomaniac wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:Quickly piled together a video of my Angliru ascent from bottom to top. The really steep stuff begins 2 minutes into the video.

Great video, watching it already makes my legs hurt. :D
What kind of gearing did you use?

34 on the front and 30 on the back was my lowest gear. Luckily I didn't need to make any major modifications to my bike, as my Ultegra 6700 long cage rear derailleur had no problems running a 12-30 cassette.

Most of the time up Angliru I was on 34-28, but when the gradients went above 14% I found myself switching to 30.

27 Aug 2016 16:11

I've got a 32 on the back because I like climbing seated with I a higher cadence and it's nice to have an extra gear on the super steep climbs.
Today I did a 173km ride with Falzarego from Cortina, the hard side of the Giau, Tre Croci, the hard side of Passo di Sant'Antonio (and underrated climb) and Passo Monte Croce Comelico, about 4000m of altitude gain.
I was suffering quite a bit on the Passo di San Antonio, it's not am easy climb and after Giau + Tre Croci I had no legs.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

27 Aug 2016 16:21

Thanks for posting that!

Those switchbacks look way more awful than I ever imagined...

Love the cows! :D

Looks like you had a great day riding, life is good when you get to the top. :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

27 Aug 2016 21:50

Mayomaniac wrote:I've got a 32 on the back because I like climbing seated with I a higher cadence and it's nice to have an extra gear on the super steep climbs.
Today I did a 173km ride with Falzarego from Cortina, the hard side of the Giau, Tre Croci, the hard side of Passo di Sant'Antonio (and underrated climb) and Passo Monte Croce Comelico, about 4000m of altitude gain.
I was suffering quite a bit on the Passo di San Antonio, it's not am easy climb and after Giau + Tre Croci I had no legs.

WTF
User avatar Valv.Piti

28 Aug 2016 13:50

Valv.Piti wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:I've got a 32 on the back because I like climbing seated with I a higher cadence and it's nice to have an extra gear on the super steep climbs.

WTF
Yep, that's some proper climbs being done around here. Chapeau.

I got my first (95kg+) weight class Strava KOM, on a little 300m @ 17% kicker that provides the happy ending to a local Cat 2 climb. Kinda cheated though, as I did it on my MTB, and the 22-36 low gear allowed me to keep my butt seated and my cadence above 80rpm for the entire stretch.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

Re:

28 Aug 2016 16:02

That sounds like a great ride. I envy you! :)

28 Aug 2016 17:08

Cance > TheRest wrote:

That sounds like a great ride. I envy you! :)

Thanks, I even met a guy who did the same ride + Tre Cime after Tre Croci. :eek:
That's just too much for me, but it's probably the hardest ride around here and it's something that the really strong local riders want do at least once.
User avatar Mayomaniac

PreviousNext

Return to General