Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

28 Aug 2016 17:53

Mayomaniac wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:I've got a 32 on the back because I like climbing seated with I a higher cadence and it's nice to have an extra gear on the super steep climbs.
Today I did a 173km ride with Falzarego from Cortina, the hard side of the Giau, Tre Croci, the hard side of Passo di Sant'Antonio (and underrated climb) and Passo Monte Croce Comelico, about 4000m of altitude gain.
I was suffering quite a bit on the Passo di San Antonio, it's not am easy climb and after Giau + Tre Croci I had no legs.

That sounds like a great ride. I envy you! :)

Thanks, I even met a guy who did the same ride + Tre Cime after Tre Croci. :eek:
That's just too much for me, but it's probably the hardest ride around here and it's something that the really strong local riders want do at least once.

Tbh you guys have quite a few hard rides around your parts ;)

Maybe not actually doable, but hard.
Brullnux

10 Sep 2016 23:15

Did 60km on my MTB today, though it was nearly all paved roads, and the only altitude differences where road furniture and bridges basically.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

11 Sep 2016 19:40

Red Rick wrote:Did 60km on my MTB today, though it was nearly all paved roads, and the only altitude differences where road furniture and bridges basically.

My God! Sounds fantastic, I cannot reach more than 8km :redface:
JaraM

12 Sep 2016 02:23

JaraM wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Did 60km on my MTB today, though it was nearly all paved roads, and the only altitude differences where road furniture and bridges basically.

My God! Sounds fantastic, I cannot reach more than 8km :redface:

Don't worry about the distance. Just go out and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about speed either. Those things will come as you continue.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

12 Sep 2016 18:23

Jspear wrote:
Don't worry about the distance. Just go out and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about speed either. Those things will come as you continue.

Thank you! cos sometimes I think that I'm loser(
JaraM

13 Sep 2016 19:20

Did a really short ride yesterday on my road bike. Crossed the Waal and then road next to the river while the sun was slowly going down right in front of me. That was awesome, until I realised I had forgot to eat and I got saddle sores again. Really need to do something about the latter. Happens too much on my road bike

I just completed an even shorter ride to Berg en Dal, down to Beek, and up the Oude Holleweg (the climb they did in stage 2 of the Giro this year) and then back home. Luckily I had the sense to not start too hard but that hill really is a bitch
User avatar Red Rick

13 Sep 2016 19:27

I have been going crazy lately. Not too long rides (40 k), but pretty much everyday right now since the weather i amazing and since tanning obviously is the biggest goal while cycling, I've got a lot of that lately. Too bad I got some aero grib grabs this summer which are a bit longer that normal, so thats kinda sad and looks like a mess. :D

What are you guys Strava-name? Andreas Riis for me, would be cool to follow some here.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

13 Sep 2016 20:10

Valv.Piti wrote:I have been going crazy lately. Not too long rides (40 k), but pretty much everyday right now since the weather i amazing and since tanning obviously is the biggest goal while cycling, I've got a lot of that lately. Too bad I got some aero grib grabs this summer which are a bit longer that normal, so thats kinda sad and looks like a mess. :D

What are you guys Strava-name? Andreas Riis for me, would be cool to follow some here.

I'm trying to connect to your profile but Strava is having a "Heavy User Load" and can't find you. I'll try again in a little bit.

My handle is Dan Rooney, I'm relatively active on Strava.

Edit: Nevermind, I found you. :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

14 Sep 2016 03:10

Valv.Piti wrote:I have been going crazy lately. Not too long rides (40 k), but pretty much everyday right now since the weather i amazing and since tanning obviously is the biggest goal while cycling, I've got a lot of that lately. Too bad I got some aero grib grabs this summer which are a bit longer that normal, so thats kinda sad and looks like a mess. :D

I follow you...I'm Jonathan Spear

I use strava whenever I do ride. Life's been crazy busy...I've only ridden once this month!
Skyline Drive
Veteran

15 Sep 2016 12:53

I built a Monster and on Saturday I'm going to ride it :D
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

15 Sep 2016 19:47

King Boonen wrote:I built a Monster and on Saturday I'm going to ride it :D

Pics? :)
Skyline Drive
Veteran

15 Sep 2016 20:09

Jspear wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I built a Monster and on Saturday I'm going to ride it :D

Pics? :)

Tried and it was too big, will resize tomorrow when I'm on a proper computer :)
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

16 Sep 2016 09:21

Here we go:

A couple of changes have been made since this photo. The stem has been cut and I've put a couple of spacers under it. This position was fine for road riding but it was a little too steep for off-road. To be honest it's still very steep but it's a compromise.

The build (I'll list bits I plan to change too):

Cotic BFe frame. Could be changed for a Shand Stooshie. We shall see but that's a long way off...
On one steel disc fork. This will be changed either for a carbon fork or a Surly/Salsa fork with a load of rack mounts on it. It'll depend what I do with the frame.
36h Hope PE2 hubs laced to Sun Ringle Big Fat Mammoths (NOS USA made rims ;) ). These are the MTB wheels. I have some Shimano MT55s I'll leave the slicks on. I tested with some road wheels and running 700c with 25-35mm tyres gives pretty much exactly the same wheel size as the 26" wheels with 2.2-2.4" MTB tyres. So That's always an option for road riding if I want.
Avid BB7 road mechanical discs. I went with cable as the ultimate aim is a do it all road bike using parts from this and my current road bike, so I needed cable discs to work with the group set. They work very well, as good as my rim brakes, I just wish the red bits were black...
Old Deore MTB mech and cranks, it's what I had in my spares box and depending on what I do with the bike will depend on whether I need road or MTB cranks.
SLX 11-36 cassette
Blackspire 46T DH ring. It's big for MTB, very very big, but I need it for the road on 26" wheels.
Dura Ace 9-speed road bar end shifter.This is being run in friction mode so I can get 11-32 on the cassette. I got it for free so don't mind missing the 36T but it'll be changed for a Microshift that can get the full range when I am upgrading bits. Loving being back on friction, can blast into the bottom of a climb then dump 8 gears in half a second :)
Deda zero 100mm stem and 42cm bars.
Tektro levers, cheap secondhand ones.
Specialized Phatboy tape. This is a compromise for MTB. I usually just use very thin tape on the road, this is thick with padding underneath so I'll have to see how I get on with it over the winter and if I can stand it.
Nukeproof seatpost with a Concor saddle from my bits box and a Hope QR seat Clamp for easy adjustment on trails.
Hope Headset.
2.2" Conti Trail Kings are currently fitted.
£2 SPDs from a local charity bike shop.

The idea behind the bike is two-fold. I needed a bike that I could ride on mountain bike trails as I tend to get out to them more over the winter. I also wanted a bike I could take out on club rides over the winter when we slow down so I came up with the Idea of converting my MTB into a MonsterCross bike. I can switch the tyres for slicks (I have spare wheels) for road only riding and the 113" gear should be more than enough for winter riding. The bonus is 1.5" tyres are going to mean very few punctures on the roads. For MTB I can stick the big tyres back on and I'm also going to get some semi-slicks so I can ride the road to the trails, ride the trails and then ride home without ruining expensive Conti MTB tyres. I also want to reduce my bikes down to one road/gravel/xc bike and a fixed wheel. If I do that then the new bits on this bike will transfer with my road groupset and I can get the wheels rebuilt with 36h H+Son Archetypes. Long way in the future but it pays to plan ahead.

Going out on some MTB trails at the weekend to see what it rides like. Last time I did them I had a 160mm fork and 785mm flar handlebars on the bike so it's going to be an experience!
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

16 Sep 2016 17:46

Nice! I like the bike and the concept behind it. I have my road bike, but I'd like something like this as well. Thanks for sharing!
Skyline Drive
Veteran

25 Sep 2016 17:55

Finished the season yesterday (club training) with a crit-esque race on a 7 km lap with a few small climbs. Pretty simple, do that as much and fast as you can. I finished with the first group with a average at 38 km/ph which was 4 km/ph faster than I've ever done a bike before. It was pretty funny, but damn, it hurt. Needless to say Im pretty proud and is really motivated to get much better for the next season (only started in July, only done 2 races), altho it was achieved by wheel sucking the crap out of the best guys for an hour.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

26 Sep 2016 21:39

http://i63.tinypic.com/2qm2r5s.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/21bp155.jpg
Pictures from the race. Struggling a fair amount..
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

27 Sep 2016 03:02

Valv.Piti wrote:Finished the season yesterday (club training) with a crit-esque race on a 7 km lap with a few small climbs. Pretty simple, do that as much and fast as you can. I finished with the first group with a average at 38 km/ph which was 4 km/ph faster than I've ever done a bike before. It was pretty funny, but damn, it hurt. Needless to say Im pretty proud and is really motivated to get much better for the next season (only started in July, only done 2 races), altho it was achieved by wheel sucking the crap out of the best guys for an hour.

Not bad dude. :)
Skyline Drive
Veteran

03 Oct 2016 14:29

Built this up a couple of weeks ago, ridden it on local circuit a few times, then did 50 miles around Elham Valley on Sunday. Nothing snapped off or in two and rode flawlessly, which for a Kirk Precision is good going!

samhocking

04 Oct 2016 12:08

Today I wante to gon on my first ride around Vienna, but right now the weather is rather bad, 10°C, rain and gusts of wind up to over 50km/h, so I'll probably stay at home.
User avatar Mayomaniac

08 Oct 2016 09:22

So yesterday I committed to going on a 300km ride next summer. I need to learn to shut up quicker :o
User avatar Red Rick

PreviousNext

Return to General