Log in:  

Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

15 Oct 2016 16:16

First day out of five on Mallorca today. Decided that there was no time to wait for the tough climbs, so I climbed up to Coll de sa Batalla (8km 5% avg), where there is three general options. 1) Ride down to Port Pollenca on the northern coast, 2) ride over to Puig Major and take the descent down or 3) take the classic descent down to Sa Calobra from the great Coll dels Reis. I had my eyes on the third option, so I took the trip down to Sa Calobra, a place loaded with tourists (either cyclists or people taking the trip by bus or car). After a light meal down at the Port de Sa Calobra, it was time to climb up again, as there's no real alternative to getting back into the Tramuntana mountains other than taking the same road up Coll dels Reis again. Great trip, and I managed to get up Coll dels Reis in around 38 minutes (9.5km 7% avg), which I was very satisfied with. Had I been more ambitious I might have taken the road down to Port de Sóller and climbed the Coll de Sóller and Orient - but that will be another day . . . perhaps :)
Image
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,887
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

Re:

16 Oct 2016 00:49

Red Rick wrote:So yesterday I committed to going on a 300km ride next summer. I need to learn to shut up quicker :o


No, that's great! :)

You've got plenty of time to prepare. You'll be riding with others I guess? I've only ever done 170 km....my seat and boredom were the worst factors. Riding with people would make it pretty enjoyable.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

16 Oct 2016 15:27

Jspear wrote:
Red Rick wrote:So yesterday I committed to going on a 300km ride next summer. I need to learn to shut up quicker :o


No, that's great! :)

You've got plenty of time to prepare. You'll be riding with others I guess? I've only ever done 170 km....my seat and boredom were the worst factors. Riding with people would make it pretty enjoyable.

I'll be doing it with another guy. Difference is I'm pretty much untrained right now, and he's done 500km two man tt's before. I've done 170km on an MTB once, but that was years ago and the seat was indeed the worst. Longest I've done recently is 90km on a MTB with some off road sections and it both the saddle sores and the condition weren't as bad as expected.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,856
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

20 Oct 2016 04:41

Last year I rode (tried) Canton Avenue right outside Pittsburgh PA. It's considered one of the steepest paved roads in the world. It has a small section that reaches 37% gradients. Last year I wasn't able to get to the top. It was real frustrating to say the least.

Today I took some air out of my tires (something I foolishly forgot about last time) and used the right side of the road. I heard a local saying that was the best way to get up the hill. I managed to get up it!

Here's a short vid. You really can't tell how steep this climb is. It's crazy steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU&feature=youtu.be
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

30 Oct 2016 18:39

Today I climbed Valparola from Cortina. The weather was good (sunshine and about 13° Celsius in Cortina). It was great, but you had to stay focussed on the descent, constant alternating between light and shadow and the road was partially covered with wet larch needle that are really slippery.
It's a bit off topic, but how much will you ride your bike durning the Winter?
I'll only do a few rides on my MTB (riding on frozen lakes is really fun and improves you bike handling skills), but most of my Winter "training" will consist of XC Skiing and Ski mountaineering.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,549
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

30 Oct 2016 19:46

Mayomaniac wrote:Today I climbed Valparola from Cortina. The weather was good (sunshine and about 13° Celsius in Cortina). It was great, but you had to stay focussed on the descent, constant alternating between light and shadow and the road was partially covered with wet larch needle that are really slippery.
It's a bit off topic, but how much will you ride your bike durning the Winter?
I'll only do a few rides on my MTB (riding on frozen lakes is really fun and improves you bike handling skills), but most of my Winter "training" will consist of XC Skiing and Ski mountaineering.

I'll be riding my bike a lot this winter, but it will be mounted to a trainer in front of my tv watching on-demand GOT episodes... :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,067
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

30 Oct 2016 20:11

Did a ride along the dyke of the Waal yesterday. Some of the best Dutch scenery there is. Today I took a different route, with more 'hills' in it. Both a little over 30km. Broke my speed records in the descents without pedalling. I guess that means I'm in great shape.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,856
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re:

30 Oct 2016 21:31

Mayomaniac wrote:Today I climbed Valparola from Cortina. The weather was good (sunshine and about 13° Celsius in Cortina). It was great, but you had to stay focussed on the descent, constant alternating between light and shadow and the road was partially covered with wet larch needle that are really slippery.
It's a bit off topic, but how much will you ride your bike durning the Winter?
I'll only do a few rides on my MTB (riding on frozen lakes is really fun and improves you bike handling skills), but most of my Winter "training" will consist of XC Skiing and Ski mountaineering.


How far do you actually live from there? Can you literally just take out your bike and start climbing legendary Dolomite-climbs?

I won't ride much, I'll probably ride a few times more before christmas, but not more. The weather is pretty bad, it has been super rainy lately and I hate riding in that. Hopefully I'll get a little out on my dad's mountain bike as well, but that will also be limited.
Gonna start this week on spinning, never actually tried it before with an instructor, sitting on your bike going nowhere has never attracted me. Hopefully it will be fun. And thats 1 hour a week.

For the rest, I've begun to run. Its easier at this point just to go for a quick, intensive run on half an hour or so. It helps with the base a lot, but it obviously isn't as optimal as riding. Keeps you going.

All this, for what? Going to Piemonte next year and I want to smash the ones Im going with. 1 hour from Susa, most of you guys know what that means. ;)
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

30 Oct 2016 21:50

Valv.Piti wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:Today I climbed Valparola from Cortina. The weather was good (sunshine and about 13° Celsius in Cortina). It was great, but you had to stay focussed on the descent, constant alternating between light and shadow and the road was partially covered with wet larch needle that are really slippery.
It's a bit off topic, but how much will you ride your bike durning the Winter?
I'll only do a few rides on my MTB (riding on frozen lakes is really fun and improves you bike handling skills), but most of my Winter "training" will consist of XC Skiing and Ski mountaineering.


How far do you actually live from there? Can you literally just take out your bike and start climbing legendary Dolomite-climbs?

I won't ride much, I'll probably ride a few times more before christmas, but not more. The weather is pretty bad, it has been super rainy lately and I hate riding in that. Hopefully I'll get a little out on my dad's mountain bike as well, but that will also be limited.
Gonna start this week on spinning, never actually tried it before with an instructor, sitting on your bike going nowhere has never attracted me. Hopefully it will be fun. And thats 1 hour a week.

For the rest, I've begun to run. Its easier at this point just to go for a quick, intensive run on half an hour or so. It helps with the base a lot, but it obviously isn't as optimal as riding. Keeps you going.

All this, for what? Going to Piemonte next year and I want to smash the ones Im going with. 1 hour from Susa, most of you guys know what that means. ;)

I'm from Innichen/San Candido, about 30km away from Cortina near the Austrian border, so those climbs are pretty close and Tre Cime from chulderbach/Carbonin is even closer.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,549
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

30 Oct 2016 22:01

Mayomaniac wrote:Today I climbed Valparola from Cortina. The weather was good (sunshine and about 13° Celsius in Cortina). It was great, but you had to stay focussed on the descent, constant alternating between light and shadow and the road was partially covered with wet larch needle that are really slippery.
It's a bit off topic, but how much will you ride your bike durning the Winter?
I'll only do a few rides on my MTB (riding on frozen lakes is really fun and improves you bike handling skills), but most of my Winter "training" will consist of XC Skiing and Ski mountaineering.

XC and mtb doesn't stop at a bit of cold. I'm just gonna keep riding like I do in the summer, a bit less due to the lack of light. Some nice easy flat rides along the canal might be in store too.

Worth mentioning that my cold is five to ten Celsius whereas yours is minus five and snow. I'd much rather go skiing or snowboarding should that be the case.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,801
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

30 Oct 2016 22:11

So I assume Giau - Croci - Cime is just another day for you? Goddamnit, I want that.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

30 Oct 2016 22:33

I have to admit that I don't ride the Giau as often as other climbs, durning the summer there's just too much traffic and way too many motorbikes. Especially the harder side of the Giau with all the tunnels can be annyoing, riding through those tunnels while a group of motorbikes is passing you (often way too close) isn't really that much fun. The cars aren't a problem, but all those motobikes and bus drivers who just don't have that much experience when it comes to riding on mountain roads, somtimes a tourist bus ends up getting stuck in a tunnel, can be a bit annoying.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,549
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

30 Oct 2016 22:36

Mayomaniac wrote:I have to admit that I don't ride the Giau as often as other climbs, durning the summer there's just too much traffic and way too many motorbikes. Especially the harder side of the Giau with all the tunnels can be annyoing, riding through those tunnels while a group of motorbikes is passing you (often way too close) isn't really that much fun. The cars aren't a problem, but all those motobikes and bus drivers who just don't have that much experience when it comes to riding on mountain roads, somtimes a tourist bus ends up getting stuck in a tunnel, can be a bit annoying.

I think Chris Horner would agree with you WRT the tunnels. I wouldn't feel safe in them either, but on the other hand I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to ride on Passo Giau no matter the risk...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,067
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

30 Dec 2016 20:28

Yesterday I went on a ride to Cortina and back home, about 64km.
The last 2 days had been pretty warm, so I thought that low temperatures wouldn't be a problem.
I was wrong, on the way to Cortina the temperature was always between -7 and -10° Celsius (around 10am), it was just a ride at low intensity, but that's still pretty cold.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,549
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

01 Jan 2017 07:30

Obscenely hot here this weekend. It was already 28 degrees and very humid when we started racing at 6:40 am on Saturday! Today was only slightly cooler, so it was just 60kms easy with Mrs 42x16ss with a long coffee stop.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,418
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

02 Mar 2017 19:12

Snow and salt is completely gone in Denmark, I've been enjoying my bike lately with rides around on 50-65 km, just around 2 hours to get a good base going. Just been mixing the routes up, I wanna discover new roads and routes each time Im out. I really went well today, it really was a pleasure despite the cold.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

03 Mar 2017 23:02

Jspear wrote:Last year I rode (tried) Canton Avenue right outside Pittsburgh PA. It's considered one of the steepest paved roads in the world. It has a small section that reaches 37% gradients. Last year I wasn't able to get to the top. It was real frustrating to say the least.

Today I took some air out of my tires (something I foolishly forgot about last time) and used the right side of the road. I heard a local saying that was the best way to get up the hill. I managed to get up it!

Here's a short vid. You really can't tell how steep this climb is. It's crazy steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU&feature=youtu.be

Damn! I had followed the first attempt but missed this all important update. Congrats!!! :)
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,350
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

04 Mar 2017 11:22

Tonton wrote:
Jspear wrote:Last year I rode (tried) Canton Avenue right outside Pittsburgh PA. It's considered one of the steepest paved roads in the world. It has a small section that reaches 37% gradients. Last year I wasn't able to get to the top. It was real frustrating to say the least.

Today I took some air out of my tires (something I foolishly forgot about last time) and used the right side of the road. I heard a local saying that was the best way to get up the hill. I managed to get up it!

Here's a short vid. You really can't tell how steep this climb is. It's crazy steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU&feature=youtu.be

Damn! I had followed the first attempt but missed this all important update. Congrats!!! :)


Ha ha thanks. I learned it's all in which part of the road you chose. The first time, I was trying a back and forth, across the road style to "lessen" the gradient. Obviously it didn't work. Some random dude was there and he was helping a lady do recon for a race that takes place there - he told her stay on the right side and keep a straight line. So thanks to overhearing some dude's advice, I did it!
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

04 Mar 2017 23:20

Jspear wrote:
Tonton wrote:
Jspear wrote:Last year I rode (tried) Canton Avenue right outside Pittsburgh PA. It's considered one of the steepest paved roads in the world. It has a small section that reaches 37% gradients. Last year I wasn't able to get to the top. It was real frustrating to say the least.

Today I took some air out of my tires (something I foolishly forgot about last time) and used the right side of the road. I heard a local saying that was the best way to get up the hill. I managed to get up it!

Here's a short vid. You really can't tell how steep this climb is. It's crazy steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU&feature=youtu.be

Damn! I had followed the first attempt but missed this all important update. Congrats!!! :)


Ha ha thanks. I learned it's all in which part of the road you chose. The first time, I was trying a back and forth, across the road style to "lessen" the gradient. Obviously it didn't work. Some random dude was there and he was helping a lady do recon for a race that takes place there - he told her stay on the right side and keep a straight line. So thanks to overhearing some dude's advice, I did it!

What gear did you use?
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,350
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

04 Mar 2017 23:47

Tonton wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Tonton wrote:
Jspear wrote:Last year I rode (tried) Canton Avenue right outside Pittsburgh PA. It's considered one of the steepest paved roads in the world. It has a small section that reaches 37% gradients. Last year I wasn't able to get to the top. It was real frustrating to say the least.

Today I took some air out of my tires (something I foolishly forgot about last time) and used the right side of the road. I heard a local saying that was the best way to get up the hill. I managed to get up it!

Here's a short vid. You really can't tell how steep this climb is. It's crazy steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU&feature=youtu.be

Damn! I had followed the first attempt but missed this all important update. Congrats!!! :)


Ha ha thanks. I learned it's all in which part of the road you chose. The first time, I was trying a back and forth, across the road style to "lessen" the gradient. Obviously it didn't work. Some random dude was there and he was helping a lady do recon for a race that takes place there - he told her stay on the right side and keep a straight line. So thanks to overhearing some dude's advice, I did it!

What gear did you use?


Some will say I'm not a real man....I had a granny gear in the front - I used a 33x25.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Back to top