Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

07 Mar 2017 16:08

I have my first proper big ride of the year planned for Saturday. about 220km and 2,400m climbing (136 miles and 7850 feet in American money). Should be fun :)
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

07 Mar 2017 21:02

King Boonen wrote:I have my first proper big ride of the year planned for Saturday. about 220km and 2,400m climbing (136 miles and 7850 feet in American money). Should be fun :)

But, thats the big day in Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice? :p

Same for me tho, not that long at all tho. Probably around 100 km. And I will be able to enjoy myself afterwards in front of the TV doing absolutely nothing and watching Nairo smash the wannabes.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

08 Mar 2017 09:11

Valv.Piti wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I have my first proper big ride of the year planned for Saturday. about 220km and 2,400m climbing (136 miles and 7850 feet in American money). Should be fun :)

But, thats the big day in Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice? :p

Same for me tho, not that long at all tho. Probably around 100 km. And I will be able to enjoy myself afterwards in front of the TV doing absolutely nothing and watching Nairo smash the wannabes.

Yeah, I've always preferred getting out on my bike than watching though as my free time is limited so I tend not to be able to do both :) No chance of me catching the end of anything either on my fixed wheel, hopefully I'll be back before it's dark! I'm building up to a sportive in May and then maybe a few other big rides in the summer too so hopefully it'll be a good marker.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

09 Mar 2017 10:54

I see. I want it both ways, Im a little greedy that way.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Mar 2017 11:24

On Sunday I went on a 90km ride with 1500m of altitude gain, climbing wise the main obstacle was the Pustertaler Höhenstraße.
The weather was pretty bad, 3°C and rain, but at least the descents weren't too long, really long descents in the high mountains can be horrible when you have bad weather and low temperatures.
User avatar Mayomaniac

11 Mar 2017 18:17

Had 135 on my bike today, first 85 km on a group ride (actually with some conti riders just going on a stroll) and afterwards 50 with my younger brother. Didn't have enough sugar for the last 10 km, that was hell, but overall a highly satisfying day out on the road. 10 degrees and a bit of sun didn't make it worse, thats for sure - almost felt like summer considering what we've had the last 5 months.

Season finally started. :) 3 weeks to go to the first races.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

11 Mar 2017 18:18

Valv.Piti wrote:Had 135 on my bike today, first 85 km on a group ride (actually with some conti riders just going on a stroll) and afterwards 50 with my younger brother. Didn't have enough sugar for the last 10 km, that was hell, but overall a highly satisfying day out on the road. 10 degrees and a bit of sun didn't make it worse, thats for sure - almost felt like summer considering what we've had the last 5 months.

Take some gummy bears with you next time ;)
kingjr

11 Mar 2017 18:27

kingjr wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Had 135 on my bike today, first 85 km on a group ride (actually with some conti riders just going on a stroll) and afterwards 50 with my younger brother. Didn't have enough sugar for the last 10 km, that was hell, but overall a highly satisfying day out on the road. 10 degrees and a bit of sun didn't make it worse, thats for sure - almost felt like summer considering what we've had the last 5 months.

Take some gummy bears with you next time ;)

Good idea, especially as they according to some act as a masking agent, that would be perfect for my rampant EPO-use!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Mar 2017 13:10

105 km today, that makes it around 300 km for the last 3 days. Felt the long ride out there from yesterday as I cramped out during a sprint and couldn't go properly for 5 minutes, but overall, another very pleasent and not super hard day out there. Just some very good endurance tempo, 145 avg heart rate
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Mar 2017 13:25

Great rides ya'll, but King Boonen tops you all. More miles, more feet climbed, all on a fixed gear. Wimps.... :p
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

12 Mar 2017 13:27

Jspear wrote:Great rides ya'll, but King Boonen tops you all. More miles, more feet climbed, all on a fixed gear. Wimps.... :p

:D
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

12 Mar 2017 13:31

Jspear wrote:Great rides ya'll, but King Boonen tops you all. More miles, more feet climbed, all on a fixed gear. Wimps.... :p

I could do that if my fixie had a hidden motor like KB's as well. Push a button and whops, 50 watts! Easy, peasy. :D

Jk, highly impressive to do 200 km on a fixie no matter how fast/slow you are riding. Haven't checked the ride out tho.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

12 Mar 2017 21:12

From my home down to a cafe downtown for brunch. (Roads downtown are a lot more quite at before 10 am Sunday morning, than they are at around 4 pm Tuesday afternoon when I usually pass through the city centre...)
From the cafe up to my parents.
From my parents back home.

Dunno how long, and I don't really care. Just regular-ordinary get-around cycling.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Mar 2017 14:38

RedheadDane wrote:Dunno how long, and I don't really care. Just regular-ordinary get-around cycling.
That's sometimes the best kind of riding.

Been doing some jogging as the weather hasn't really turned and I've been a little time crunched and haven't found myself on a clean-the-mountain-bike-again (or fix-the-road-bike) mood on weekdays. Hoping it helps a bit with the out of the saddle climbing. There's a pretty 800 v.m. dirt road climb close by I want to take another stab at.

Still got around to putting in a nice little (mostly road) fifty miler with some fun dirt kickers on Saturday, just in time to scurry on home as the whistling (tail)winds beckoned the oncoming downpour.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

Re:

16 Mar 2017 09:51

:D

Valv.Piti wrote:I could do that if my fixie had a hidden motor like KB's as well. Push a button and whops, 50 watts! Easy, peasy. :D

Jk, highly impressive to do 200 km on a fixie no matter how fast/slow you are riding. Haven't checked the ride out tho.

I wish! I actually had to divert due to fog at the top of one of the climbs so it was only 190ish km in the end, weather was horrible all day and while the ride was still enjoyable it was tough going. I'll plot the route on ride with GPS so you can have a look.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

16 Mar 2017 10:26

Here's the final ride:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19597496

Need to add on a bit as I've started it not from my actual start.

Usually I'd have ridden back from Kilmarnock but the A76 is a horrible road so I was pushing to get to the end of it and the weather wasn't pleasant. Constant headwind/sidewind pretty much the whole ride (I'd planned for a tail wind home but didn't get it due to the route change). A76 is a trunk road through that bit of Scotland, heavy traffic and loads of idiots, I only use it when I absolutely have to. The rest of the roads are very nice.

I used an 81" fixed gear, 48x16 actual chainring/sprocket.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

16 Mar 2017 16:57

King Boonen wrote:Here's the final ride:

Usually I'd have ridden back from Kilmarnock but the A76 is a horrible road so I was pushing to get to the end of it and the weather wasn't pleasant. Constant headwind/sidewind pretty much the whole ride (I'd planned for a tail wind home but didn't get it due to the route change). A76 is a trunk road through that bit of Scotland, heavy traffic and loads of idiots, I only use it when I absolutely have to. The rest of the roads are very nice.

Solid ride. Have you ever considered strava?

KM marker 110-120. How was that with your fixed gear?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

16 Mar 2017 17:15

Jspear wrote:

Solid ride. Have you ever considered strava?

KM marker 110-120. How was that with your fixed gear?

I'm actually on Strava, will PM you. It's currently refusing to correct the elevation on the first part of that ride.

110-115 was fine, my cadence was around 50rpm which usually means standing up but still turning ok. From 115-120 it was fairly slow going but I've done steeper stuff. Garmin sensors drop out around 25rpm and there is a fair bit of zero reading in my data. I generally find that the gear works ok climbing until it doesn't, then there is a gradient range where the speed it pretty constant no matter what the gradient is. With this gear it's around 8-13% for constant (50m+) or up to 20% for short bigs (like corners etc.). If the road is like that my speed will be low but I can keep the gear going, usually sits around 9-11kph. Any slower and it's too much effort to turn the gear. There as no walking/pushing on that run, the climb was slow as I stopped at one point to look at the scenery (and because climbing is always slow on a fixed gear on proper climbs :) ) but I could have kept that kind of climbing up for a fair while.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re:

17 Mar 2017 17:42

I've got the radar road on my hit list this year, that Mennock pass, I've got one of the slowest ever times on it, I tried to do the radar road but the wind was crazy, I got blown off the road twice climbing the pass then becuae of snow I could only make it 3/4 up the radar road
rick james

18 Mar 2017 04:24

Today I rode far away and ate many many bugs
I believe in bugs, I truly believe in bugs
If you rode where I rode, you'd believe in bugs
You'd truly believe in bugs
Dan2016

PreviousNext

Return to General