Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

23 Mar 2017 21:34

42x16ss wrote:Anyone taking a selfie in the bunch should be immediately flicked into the gutter until they get the message.

Sean Kelly style. :)
Dan2016

23 Mar 2017 21:37

Haha, yeah, or cycling without hands in the middle of a bunch as well, always makes me uncomfortable.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

24 Mar 2017 09:35

Dan2016 wrote:
Seriously? Selfies...in a bunch! That's completely crackers.
I don't understand what selfies are all about full stop but that's another matter...

Valv, glad you know what you're doing. Good luck.

Yep. Usually on the front but I've seen people doing it in the middle of a bunch. Not sure where the trend started but as a club we stamped down on it very quickly.

42x16ss wrote:Anyone taking a selfie in the bunch should be immediately flicked into the gutter until they get the message.

Yup, it's just stupid.

Valv.Piti wrote:Haha, yeah, or cycling without hands in the middle of a bunch as well, always makes me uncomfortable.

This one depends. I do it if I need to take off/put on my gilet, arm warmers etc. or grab a gel flask. I only do it when I know the roads are fine though and the bunch is just rolling along, if the pace is on I just suck it up until the coffee stop. I'd never do it for no reason though and never for longer than a few seconds.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

24 Mar 2017 11:07

I didn't ride anywhere today. However, yesterday I rode my bike down to my parents and grandmother, and then I rode home again after we'd eaten. :D

I don't have any suggestions to the group-riding issue. I get nervous just by riding on the bike lane with other cyclists. I get nervous just by watching the bunch in the pro races during a sprint.
Then there was the one time I overtook a lady on her bike, our handlebars touched, and I sorta went flying out onto the road. Few cars, luckily, and I stayed upright.

But yeah, people who are on their phones while riding should be shot. Not just talking people on group-rides here, but also regular cyclists. Surely that text doesn't need to be answered now...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

24 Mar 2017 19:03

RedheadDane wrote:I didn't ride anywhere today. However, yesterday I rode my bike down to my parents and grandmother, and then I rode home again after we'd eaten. :D

I don't have any suggestions to the group-riding issue. I get nervous just by riding on the bike lane with other cyclists. I get nervous just by watching the bunch in the pro races during a sprint.
Then there was the one time I overtook a lady on her bike, our handlebars touched, and I sorta went flying out onto the road. Few cars, luckily, and I stayed upright.

But yeah, people who are on their phones while riding should be shot. Not just talking people on group-rides here, but also regular cyclists. Surely that text doesn't need to be answered now...

My phone turns into my bike computer when I ride. It's mounted on my handle bars....please don't shoot me. :p

I just got a new bike. It's a Mekk Primo 6.6. Full carbon frame, carbon semi deep dish wheels. Ultegra components, except for the handle bar and brakes. I haven't even ridden it yet. Can't wait though!

Last edited by Jspear on 25 Mar 2017 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 19:04

Jspear wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I didn't ride anywhere today. However, yesterday I rode my bike down to my parents and grandmother, and then I rode home again after we'd eaten. :D

My phone turns into my bike computer when I ride. It's mounted on my handle bars....please don't shoot me. :p

I just got a new bike. It's a Mekk Primo 6.6. Full carbon frame, carbon semi deep dish wheels. Ultegra components. I haven't even ridden it yet. Can't wait though!

Very nice! :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

24 Mar 2017 19:13

Jspear wrote:

I just got a new bike. It's a Mekk Primo 6.6. Full carbon frame, carbon semi deep dish wheels. Ultegra components, except for the handle bar and brakes. I haven't even ridden it yet. Can't wait though!

What a Beast!
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

24 Mar 2017 19:18

Yeah, like I said I haven't even ridden it yet, but I know it's a beast. I love the geometry. I don't think you can find a cheaper full carbon bike/wheels set up then this.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 20:37

took my new bike up my local steep ramp and its bloody steep, a tough 8 minute effort, pleased I was just over a minute from my best time so pleased with it, Scotland got hit with a cold spell this week and it hit me like a brick, I was in bib shorts last weekend then this week I was back in winter gear...
rick james

24 Mar 2017 21:12

Out riding in NW Durham Hills this afternoon, almost 70k and 1000m of ascent, from east Gateshead up to Wrenkenton then descent to team Valley up Silverhills (184m ascent avraging 7% with steep bits), then over lumps and bumps to Beamish, down and through a closed road and made my way up to Pontop Pike, descending to Lanchester hitting 70kph on descent, up Peth bank with its 20% ramp, and up and down pretty much all the way home.
del1962
Veteran

Re:

24 Mar 2017 22:38

Valv.Piti wrote:Haha, yeah, or cycling without hands in the middle of a bunch as well, always makes me uncomfortable.

Depends on the circumstances. If someone takes both hands off to grab a gel or strip arm warmers that's ok with me as long as I can see they're competent.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

25 Mar 2017 00:01

rick james wrote:took my new bike up my local steep ramp and its bloody steep, a tough 8 minute effort, pleased I was just over a minute from my best time so pleased with it, Scotland got hit with a cold spell this week and it hit me like a brick, I was in bib shorts last weekend then this week I was back in winter gear...

The weather has been very bipolar here in VA as well. Shorts, then pants, then shorts, than pants....literally. This winter has been the warmest I can remember. But we'd still have a spurt of cold days. Kinda annoying even though I did appreciate the warm days.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

Re:

25 Mar 2017 08:56

rick james wrote:took my new bike up my local steep ramp and its bloody steep, a tough 8 minute effort, pleased I was just over a minute from my best time so pleased with it, Scotland got hit with a cold spell this week and it hit me like a brick, I was in bib shorts last weekend then this week I was back in winter gear...

Logie Kirk? What bike? I should check Strava.

I've missed all this dry weather as I have my daughter for two weeks. Sneaking out on a club run tomorrow morning though

I can't see JSpear's new bike. Can someone repost it?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

25 Mar 2017 09:32

Found Rick James' new bike, very nice, not steel though so obviously not as good as it could be :D

I should definitely get the train to Stirling sometime this year and you can show me some Perthshire roads.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

25 Mar 2017 10:38

King Boonen wrote:

I've missed all this dry weather as I have my daughter for two weeks. Sneaking out on a club run tomorrow morning though

Yip the kirk, pure and utter hell when not fit on the bike.

got a 2017 Giant TCR advance pro 0....
rick james

Re:

25 Mar 2017 10:43

King Boonen wrote:Found Rick James' new bike, very nice, not steel though so obviously not as good as it could be :D

I should definitely get the train to Stirling sometime this year and you can show me some Perthshire roads.

yip we should get a ride sorted out, I've got great roads around here when I hit the countryside, up over Crieff way are amazing roads
rick james

25 Mar 2017 10:44

Jspear wrote:

Can I shoot you a little bit? Maybe with a water pistol...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

25 Mar 2017 18:42

RedheadDane wrote:
Jspear wrote:

Can I shoot you a little bit? Maybe with a water pistol...

In July, yes!
Skyline Drive
Veteran

25 Mar 2017 18:43

King Boonen wrote:

I can't see the pic on my phone right now. Will have to check later on my laptop.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

25 Mar 2017 21:06

rick james wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Found Rick James' new bike, very nice, not steel though so obviously not as good as it could be :D

yip we should get a ride sorted out, I've got great roads around here when I hit the countryside, up over Crieff way are amazing roads

Will give you a shout once I've got myself sorted in the new place, well up for some new roads, even fancy the Kirk at the moment!
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

PreviousNext

Return to General