Log in:  

Register

Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

04 Jun 2015 21:07

42x16ss wrote:He was probably wondering "WTF is this guy doing pushing the big ring and the 12 tooth???" I know I would be.

+1. Relax, Ray. Maybe he just wanted to sprint up the hill.

The other day I was going up a long hill with a friend and a guy got himself in between us on a fixie. He must've been doing around 25 rpm. I let him stay there for a couple kms out of respect (for real) but them I went to the front and proceeded to drop him a little intentionally but mostly just trying to outrun the mental gif that had become stuck looping in my head of his knee ligaments just snapping.
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,408
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

Re: Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

04 Jun 2015 21:28

42x16ss wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:Today I went on one of my usual routes around London . I rode in basically 53 x11/12 on the return leg heading home including long drags. I caught up with another cyclist and had a chat. He was heading for the city "not to far" and back again. We chatted and I told him that todays ride heading back I stay on my 53 X12.
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12. So the chap who has just started his ride tells me he his going to switch down on to his 12 cog. He took off and I managed to stay with him for half the climb but my legs then just gave out. He then just rode off as though he just dropped Bertie.
It has really wound me up. If my legs were fresh or just a bit fresher I would have had no issue keeping up even putting in a dig. Buts it the smugness. I'm sure he will and tell all his mates how he dropped this guy etc etc.
But its bullsh%%.
When I go past a rider unless "I am pushing myself " I usually always ask where they have been. How long they have been out for" I don't like to feel that I am taking advantage.
Its the smugness that I don't like and no respect for the fact you may have been riding already for 2 or 3 hours.
If I see this chap again and have not had such hard ride I will suck his wheel and take off at the appropriate moment. The attitude I hate.


This is most ridiculous post I've read on here for some time. You have to be trolling. What's your evidence for this guys "attitude" or "smugness"? Maybe he's just faster than you. If someone rolled up to me and randomly told me how he was going to stay in his 53x12 I would assume that he was a complete tosser. If you are really that upset by being dropped by someone, you're in the wrong sport. Grow up.


You have missed the point entirely . The fact that I was there and saw the smugness and the attitude is a pretty good reason to assume that. Pricey_sky also posted a similar experience.
If you want to carry slagging my post off because you don't have better things to do or simply have not got the control to ignore the post then you seem to have issues,,, IMO
Jog on

He was probably wondering "WTF is this guy doing pushing the big ring and the 12 tooth???" I know I would be.


I was the one riding in 53t x 12 /11 ....He was spinning an easy gear when I caught him up. We were chatting, he knew I was spent then decided use the same gears as me..Read the post again for clarification.
I had been riding on those gears for nearly my whole ride . he just started his ride with fresh legs.
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re: Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

04 Jun 2015 21:31

ray j willings wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:Today I went on one of my usual routes around London . I rode in basically 53 x11/12 on the return leg heading home including long drags. I caught up with another cyclist and had a chat. He was heading for the city "not to far" and back again. We chatted and I told him that todays ride heading back I stay on my 53 X12.
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12. So the chap who has just started his ride tells me he his going to switch down on to his 12 cog. He took off and I managed to stay with him for half the climb but my legs then just gave out. He then just rode off as though he just dropped Bertie.
It has really wound me up. If my legs were fresh or just a bit fresher I would have had no issue keeping up even putting in a dig. Buts it the smugness. I'm sure he will and tell all his mates how he dropped this guy etc etc.
But its bullsh%%.
When I go past a rider unless "I am pushing myself " I usually always ask where they have been. How long they have been out for" I don't like to feel that I am taking advantage.
Its the smugness that I don't like and no respect for the fact you may have been riding already for 2 or 3 hours.
If I see this chap again and have not had such hard ride I will suck his wheel and take off at the appropriate moment. The attitude I hate.


This is most ridiculous post I've read on here for some time. You have to be trolling. What's your evidence for this guys "attitude" or "smugness"? Maybe he's just faster than you. If someone rolled up to me and randomly told me how he was going to stay in his 53x12 I would assume that he was a complete tosser. If you are really that upset by being dropped by someone, you're in the wrong sport. Grow up.


You have missed the point entirely . The fact that I was there and saw the smugness and the attitude is a pretty good reason to assume that. Pricey_sky also posted a similar experience.
If you want to carry slagging my post off because you don't have better things to do or simply have not got the control to ignore the post then you seem to have issues,,, IMO
Jog on


You "saw" smugness and attitude. Good for you. Why do you care?
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,105
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

04 Jun 2015 21:49

Why do you care if he cares? Apparently it gets him, and he decided to share it. I also have my little pet hate, which is when someone in your group wheelsucks you all the way and then spills their guts out outsprinting you just before you're about to reach a stop. And brag about it. And tell you you suck. Makes me want to pull a Barredo on them.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,352
Joined: 10 Jun 2013 22:10
Location: Estoril, Portugal

Re: Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

05 Jun 2015 04:08

ray j willings wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:Today I went on one of my usual routes around London . I rode in basically 53 x11/12 on the return leg heading home including long drags. I caught up with another cyclist and had a chat. He was heading for the city "not to far" and back again. We chatted and I told him that todays ride heading back I stay on my 53 X12.
We hit a short rise and he put his foot down " I have now been riding for nearly 3 hours and near the end of my ride" I managed to stay with him on the short rise still on my 53 x 12 . I pulled alongside and said that was tough my legs they are now really feeling it. So we get to the next up hill bit which is a very long drag and I know that unless I change into a easier gear I am going to get dropped "legs have gone" but I stay in my 12. So the chap who has just started his ride tells me he his going to switch down on to his 12 cog. He took off and I managed to stay with him for half the climb but my legs then just gave out. He then just rode off as though he just dropped Bertie.
It has really wound me up. If my legs were fresh or just a bit fresher I would have had no issue keeping up even putting in a dig. Buts it the smugness. I'm sure he will and tell all his mates how he dropped this guy etc etc.
But its bullsh%%.
When I go past a rider unless "I am pushing myself " I usually always ask where they have been. How long they have been out for" I don't like to feel that I am taking advantage.
Its the smugness that I don't like and no respect for the fact you may have been riding already for 2 or 3 hours.
If I see this chap again and have not had such hard ride I will suck his wheel and take off at the appropriate moment. The attitude I hate.


This is most ridiculous post I've read on here for some time. You have to be trolling. What's your evidence for this guys "attitude" or "smugness"? Maybe he's just faster than you. If someone rolled up to me and randomly told me how he was going to stay in his 53x12 I would assume that he was a complete tosser. If you are really that upset by being dropped by someone, you're in the wrong sport. Grow up.


You have missed the point entirely . The fact that I was there and saw the smugness and the attitude is a pretty good reason to assume that. Pricey_sky also posted a similar experience.
If you want to carry slagging my post off because you don't have better things to do or simply have not got the control to ignore the post then you seem to have issues,,, IMO
Jog on

He was probably wondering "WTF is this guy doing pushing the big ring and the 12 tooth???" I know I would be.


I was the one riding in 53t x 12 /11 ....He was spinning an easy gear when I caught him up. We were chatting, he knew I was spent then decided use the same gears as me..Read the post again for clarification.
I had been riding on those gears for nearly my whole ride . he just started his ride with fresh legs.


let me get this straight...
you tell the other guy you've been riding for a few hours, and also after a climb that your legs are "really feeling it". Coincidentally after self inflicted increased effort from own gearing choice.
Are you wanting him to abandon whatever plan he has as to how his ride is to go, because you're nearly toast and want him to stay with you??

I'm a bit with 46x16ss here - if I'd just started out on a solo training ride, I'd have no qualms chatting to a guy I meet out on the road, but if my plan is to push it up certain hills, then I'm going to regardless of what some other rider I meet wants to do... Likewise in the reverse - I'd have no qualms letting the other guy go regardless of gears or freshness. It's his ride to do as he pleases...

Pricey-sky's experience seems somewhat different as it was a whole ride with a bunch, and not just a pair of riders in passing...
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,788
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

05 Jun 2015 07:01

Archibald , Fair enough ... All I can say is you had to be there. Pricey-skys ride may have been in a bunch but the point is the same.

cheers
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

05 Jun 2015 07:06

Winky, thanks for your informative and subjective point of view


The idea of my thread was to hear other riders experiences like Pricey-sky and Big Mac etc.

Cheers
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re:

05 Jun 2015 12:37

BigMac wrote:Why do you care if he cares? Apparently it gets him, and he decided to share it. I also have my little pet hate, which is when someone in your group wheelsucks you all the way and then spills their guts out outsprinting you just before you're about to reach a stop. And brag about it. And tell you you suck. Makes me want to pull a Barredo on them.


I can't ever remember riding with anyone who "bragged" about winning a meaningless sprint. Or who told other riders in the group that they sucked. Maybe you just need to ride with nicer people.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,105
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2015 13:17

winkybiker wrote:
BigMac wrote:Why do you care if he cares? Apparently it gets him, and he decided to share it. I also have my little pet hate, which is when someone in your group wheelsucks you all the way and then spills their guts out outsprinting you just before you're about to reach a stop. And brag about it. And tell you you suck. Makes me want to pull a Barredo on them.


I can't ever remember riding with anyone who "bragged" about winning a meaningless sprint. Or who told other riders in the group that they sucked. Maybe you just need to ride with nicer people.


Well some of us like to go riding without having baskets on the front of our bikes :D
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

05 Jun 2015 13:47

Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,305
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:28
Location: Bourgogne

Re:

05 Jun 2015 14:57

frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2015 18:42

ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,105
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2015 19:26

BigMac wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Personally I think the worst thing is being overtaken by little old ladies on electrical bikes.


Lol, reminds me of durianrider passing by cyclists uphill on an electric bike and setting strava records. Master troll.


You should have seen their faces.


At least durianrider is not a little old lady. :p


winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


Carefull. Next he's gonna complain about the people complaining about him complaining about people complaining about his complaints.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,819
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2015 20:30

BigMac wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Personally I think the worst thing is being overtaken by little old ladies on electrical bikes.


Lol, reminds me of durianrider passing by cyclists uphill on an electric bike and setting strava records. Master troll.


You should have seen their faces.


I think I saw that vid...is that the one were he even passes some pro's?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2015 20:48

RedheadDane wrote:
BigMac wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Personally I think the worst thing is being overtaken by little old ladies on electrical bikes.


Lol, reminds me of durianrider passing by cyclists uphill on an electric bike and setting strava records. Master troll.


You should have seen their faces.


At least durianrider is not a little old lady. :p


winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


Carefull. Next he's gonna complain about the people complaining about him complaining about people complaining about his complaints.


Lets gang up on Ray J , let's ruin his thread .....ain't that trolling .....Like I give a fu%% :D
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re: Re:

06 Jun 2015 06:25

ray j willings wrote:
Lets gang up on Ray J , let's ruin his thread .....ain't that trolling .....Like I give a fu%% :D

You say you don't (give a fu%%), but clearly you do!
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,305
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:28
Location: Bourgogne

06 Jun 2015 07:50

Honestly, I just wanted to see how many times I could stick complain into one sentence. :p

And I guess I just complained about the guy complaining about the people complaining about him complaining about people complaining about his complaints.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,819
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

06 Jun 2015 09:34

RedheadDane wrote:Honestly, I just wanted to see how many times I could stick complain into one sentence. :p

And I guess I just complained about the guy complaining about the people complaining about him complaining about people complaining about his complaints.


Can I have your autograph
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

08 Jun 2015 04:06

It would be great if there was a game and prizes awarded on the cyclingnews forums for correctly guessing the sockpuppet.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,297
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re:

08 Jun 2015 12:23

del1962 wrote:Must be a London thing

Went out on a ride last Saturday, guy comes past me on first hill says a friendly hello, not steep but nearly 2 miles in length, just let him go, I have nearly 70 miles of riding ahead of me around the hills of Durham and Northumberland


I'd have to agree. Never seen this kind of attitude in Glasgow.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,471
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Back to top