Log in:  

Register

Other cyclists ahhhhhhhhh

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

08 Jun 2015 14:09

King Boonen wrote:
del1962 wrote:Must be a London thing

Went out on a ride last Saturday, guy comes past me on first hill says a friendly hello, not steep but nearly 2 miles in length, just let him go, I have nearly 70 miles of riding ahead of me around the hills of Durham and Northumberland


I'd have to agree. Never seen this kind of attitude in Glasgow.


I have rode in Scotland " highlands" loads and everyone has been really cool apart from the chap who runs the Bike shop in aviemore, he wasn't very nice. The guys in the bike shops in inverness were really cool.
I LOVE SCOTLAND
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

08 Jun 2015 14:40

Which shop in Aviemore? I've found the folks in Mikes Bikes who're in that carpark round the back of the flats at the end of the main street to be good. The guy who was in Bothy Bikes when I went in was an arrogant ********, who was also wrong.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

08 Jun 2015 18:00

King Boonen wrote:Which shop in Aviemore? I've found the folks in Mikes Bikes who're in that carpark round the back of the flats at the end of the main street to be good. The guy who was in Bothy Bikes when I went in was an arrogant ********, who was also wrong.


Yeah Mikes bikes the shop in the car park round the back of the Flats.
I rung him up they day before because I needed a rear mech. He was very offish on the phone. It was the only place that had a Sram.
I got to the shop about 2O minutes early [nipped to Tesco's ] He pulled up and I explained who I was and I had drove nearly 3 hours to get there " from Laide" friendly banter etc. He just looked at me and said he will be open in 2 minutes and shut the door. His wife " I presume " then arrived and she was lovely, she knew who I was etc and we had a nice chat. Maybe he was just having a bad day or something.
I then stopped in inverness, I thought I would pick up another gear cable "just in case" There is a big shop that sells bikes and out door stuff so we got chatting and they wanted to see my bike " weight weenie trek"
I took it in and they put the mech on for me and fitted a new cable for free. I had to insist on paying for the cable ,,,really great guys.
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re:

09 Jun 2015 03:04

ray j willings wrote:Archibald , Fair enough ... All I can say is you had to be there. Pricey-skys ride may have been in a bunch but the point is the same.

cheers

understandable.
Hell, you're lucky you got to chat - here, the number of "hmpfs" and ignores I get from a simple "morning" or "how's it going?" when passing by is incredible.
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,774
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

Re: Re:

09 Jun 2015 11:36

Archibald wrote:
ray j willings wrote:Archibald , Fair enough ... All I can say is you had to be there. Pricey-skys ride may have been in a bunch but the point is the same.

cheers

understandable.
Hell, you're lucky you got to chat - here, the number of "hmpfs" and ignores I get from a simple "morning" or "how's it going?" when passing by is incredible.



To which your next sentence should be "If you buy a saddle then you won't have a problem with that seat post stuck up your ****" :).

ray j willings wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Which shop in Aviemore? I've found the folks in Mikes Bikes who're in that carpark round the back of the flats at the end of the main street to be good. The guy who was in Bothy Bikes when I went in was an arrogant ********, who was also wrong.


Yeah Mikes bikes the shop in the car park round the back of the Flats.
I rung him up they day before because I needed a rear mech. He was very offish on the phone. It was the only place that had a Sram.
I got to the shop about 2O minutes early [nipped to Tesco's ] He pulled up and I explained who I was and I had drove nearly 3 hours to get there " from Laide" friendly banter etc. He just looked at me and said he will be open in 2 minutes and shut the door. His wife " I presume " then arrived and she was lovely, she knew who I was etc and we had a nice chat. Maybe he was just having a bad day or something.
I then stopped in inverness, I thought I would pick up another gear cable "just in case" There is a big shop that sells bikes and out door stuff so we got chatting and they wanted to see my bike " weight weenie trek"
I took it in and they put the mech on for me and fitted a new cable for free. I had to insist on paying for the cable ,,,really great guys.


Shame to hear that, I've actually only dealt with his wife and son. Pretty sure the son was heading off to uni or travelling last time I was there, I think they mentioned him going abroad.


Aviemore is a fantastic place to ride mountain bikes, but I've not taken a road bike up there yet.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2015 16:03

winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


I'll raise you a complainer complaining about people complaining about his complaint. While I think the OP should let it go, threads like this never cease to bring folks out of the woodwork to pile on to someone like him.

The simple fact is that the road attracts a disproportionate number of twits who seem to want to one-up their fellow Freds. I have commented numerous times on the night-and-day experiences of 30 years of riding with MTBers vs. roadies. Yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but a whole lot of anecdotal evidence. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't received a "hello" or wave back out on the dirt, while it happens all the time on the road. Ditto the atmosphere on MTB group rides vs. group road rides. I don't know what it is, but it really is night-and-day.
chiocciolis_calves
Junior Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 28 Aug 2013 14:50

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2015 16:34

chiocciolis_calves wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


I'll raise you a complainer complaining about people complaining about his complaint. While I think the OP should let it go, threads like this never cease to bring folks out of the woodwork to pile on to someone like him.

The simple fact is that the road attracts a disproportionate number of twits who seem to want to one-up their fellow Freds. I have commented numerous times on the night-and-day experiences of 30 years of riding with MTBers vs. roadies. Yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but a whole lot of anecdotal evidence. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't received a "hello" or wave back out on the dirt, while it happens all the time on the road. Ditto the atmosphere on MTB group rides vs. group road rides. I don't know what it is, but it really is night-and-day.


This is something friends of mine also say. I don't spend much time on the fat tires so I take their word for it.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,352
Joined: 10 Jun 2013 22:10
Location: Estoril, Portugal

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2015 17:00

BigMac wrote:
chiocciolis_calves wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


I'll raise you a complainer complaining about people complaining about his complaint. While I think the OP should let it go, threads like this never cease to bring folks out of the woodwork to pile on to someone like him.

The simple fact is that the road attracts a disproportionate number of twits who seem to want to one-up their fellow Freds. I have commented numerous times on the night-and-day experiences of 30 years of riding with MTBers vs. roadies. Yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but a whole lot of anecdotal evidence. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't received a "hello" or wave back out on the dirt, while it happens all the time on the road. Ditto the atmosphere on MTB group rides vs. group road rides. I don't know what it is, but it really is night-and-day.


This is something friends of mine also say. I don't spend much time on the fat tires so I take their word for it.


It is 100% accurate. A completely different breed of human beings. My favorite example is the time, idiot I am, I locked myself out of my truck as I was taking off on a MTB ride. No less than five other MTBers spent a half an hour coming up with a way for me to get back in my truck. And they pulled it off, no less, and refused any monetary compensation. I would have been screwed otherwise.
chiocciolis_calves
Junior Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 28 Aug 2013 14:50

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2015 17:10

chiocciolis_calves wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


I'll raise you a complainer complaining about people complaining about his complaint. While I think the OP should let it go, threads like this never cease to bring folks out of the woodwork to pile on to someone like him.

The simple fact is that the road attracts a disproportionate number of twits who seem to want to one-up their fellow Freds. I have commented numerous times on the night-and-day experiences of 30 years of riding with MTBers vs. roadies. Yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but a whole lot of anecdotal evidence. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't received a "hello" or wave back out on the dirt, while it happens all the time on the road. Ditto the atmosphere on MTB group rides vs. group road rides. I don't know what it is, but it really is night-and-day.


I used to think this but actually, I'm not sure it's true anymore. One-upmanship exists on MTB these days just as much as in the road, just look at how some idiots behave at trail centres.

Conversely, I've found that on the road most people I meet are happy to chat but then get on with their own thing.

One thing I have noticed on the road is most people will always have an excuse as to why they are going slow, just like Ray did in this case ;)
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

14 Jun 2015 18:54

I used to do a wee bit of MTB but was not that good and to be honest some of that fast downhill stuff when your shaking around and just hanging on for life with no idea if you might end up dead was fun. The banter was always really good, less intense and everyone giving you tips how to improve your skills.
Most roadies seem to have this " I'm going straight ahead don't talk to me vibe "

I'm over it now King. Oh the pain to taste the tears of defeat :D
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2015 22:43

King Boonen wrote:
chiocciolis_calves wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
ray j willings wrote:
frenchfry wrote:Strange thread. Cyclist who uses mega gearing complains about being dropped on a hill.



Not as Strange as some one "YOU" who has nothing better to do than post the above comment.


Stranger still is that the same cyclist complains about people complaining about his complaint.


I'll raise you a complainer complaining about people complaining about his complaint. While I think the OP should let it go, threads like this never cease to bring folks out of the woodwork to pile on to someone like him.

The simple fact is that the road attracts a disproportionate number of twits who seem to want to one-up their fellow Freds. I have commented numerous times on the night-and-day experiences of 30 years of riding with MTBers vs. roadies. Yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but a whole lot of anecdotal evidence. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't received a "hello" or wave back out on the dirt, while it happens all the time on the road. Ditto the atmosphere on MTB group rides vs. group road rides. I don't know what it is, but it really is night-and-day.


I used to think this but actually, I'm not sure it's true anymore. One-upmanship exists on MTB these days just as much as in the road, just look at how some idiots behave at trail centres.

Conversely, I've found that on the road most people I meet are happy to chat but then get on with their own thing.

One thing I have noticed on the road is most people will always have an excuse as to why they are going slow, just like Ray did in this case ;)


That hasn't been my experience at all here in the States. More relaxed, nicer, less pretentious people, as a general rule.
chiocciolis_calves
Junior Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 28 Aug 2013 14:50

14 Jun 2015 23:59

To be fair, the road is becoming a more pretentious place by the day. Between random wheelsuckers, super-commuters thinking they're riding the TDF TT and people attacking bunch rides in the first 15-20 minutes things can get silly.

I've recently moved back to Brisbane after two years away in Perth and the day to day riding scene has changed completely. People doing shop rides decked out from head to toe in matching shop kits acting like they're pros while going for a 50km Saturday morning River or Bay loop, Friday morning rides becoming smashfests and pacelines (doesn't anyone want to be fresh for the weekend?) and people jumping out of their own bunches to try and latch on to anybody faster than them to get their average speed up for Strava.

If you don't know where to find the saner groups it gets disheartening. Most guys on teams now train alone, it's not worth the risk.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,909
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re:

15 Jun 2015 08:51

42x16ss wrote:To be fair, the road is becoming a more pretentious place by the day. Between random wheelsuckers, super-commuters thinking they're riding the TDF TT and people attacking bunch rides in the first 15-20 minutes things can get silly.

I've recently moved back to Brisbane after two years away in Perth and the day to day riding scene has changed completely. People doing shop rides decked out from head to toe in matching shop kits acting like they're pros while going for a 50km Saturday morning River or Bay loop, Friday morning rides becoming smashfests and pacelines (doesn't anyone want to be fresh for the weekend?) and people jumping out of their own bunches to try and latch on to anybody faster than them to get their average speed up for Strava.

If you don't know where to find the saner groups it gets disheartening. Most guys on teams now train alone, it's not worth the risk.


Come to Glasgow, that sounds bloody awful.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

15 Jun 2015 09:01

ray j willings wrote:I used to do a wee bit of MTB but was not that good and to be honest some of that fast downhill stuff when your shaking around and just hanging on for life with no idea if you might end up dead was fun. The banter was always really good, less intense and everyone giving you tips how to improve your skills.
Most roadies seem to have this " I'm going straight ahead don't talk to me vibe "

I'm over it now King. Oh the pain to taste the tears of defeat :D


:D


I was out on Wednesday just finishing a steady Carron Valley loop when I heard a call of "REAR" and Glasgow Nightingales went flying past me. They were obviously on a hard effort up the Devils' Elbow and then along past Mugdock. The second group came past and swallowed me up, I had no choice but to join them as I was going at about the same pace when we hit the little ramps, but they were happy enough to have me along for the ride. We caught up the front group just before they peeled off. It must have been a big effort as one of the guys from the front group went my way and looked half dead going along at half the speed I was doing. About half an hour before I caught a fella up going over the top of the Crow Road, so I knocked the pace down a bit, he picked his up a bit and we had a chat about riding and things.

I really do love cycling in Glasgow. :D
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

15 Jun 2015 20:35

My wife's Brother runs a printing company in the centre of Glasgow , I have been there a couple of times and its always been great and people really cool. I always pop in to Mother India for some food "amazing"
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2015 21:57

King Boonen wrote:
42x16ss wrote:To be fair, the road is becoming a more pretentious place by the day. Between random wheelsuckers, super-commuters thinking they're riding the TDF TT and people attacking bunch rides in the first 15-20 minutes things can get silly.

I've recently moved back to Brisbane after two years away in Perth and the day to day riding scene has changed completely. People doing shop rides decked out from head to toe in matching shop kits acting like they're pros while going for a 50km Saturday morning River or Bay loop, Friday morning rides becoming smashfests and pacelines (doesn't anyone want to be fresh for the weekend?) and people jumping out of their own bunches to try and latch on to anybody faster than them to get their average speed up for Strava.

If you don't know where to find the saner groups it gets disheartening. Most guys on teams now train alone, it's not worth the risk.


Come to Glasgow, that sounds bloody awful.

I've laid it on a little thick, but you will see all of the above a couple of times a week if you ride the more common routes. We are very spoiled for weather here, especially over the winter, so you get the freds all year round.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,909
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re:

16 Jun 2015 12:53

ray j willings wrote:My wife's Brother runs a printing company in the centre of Glasgow , I have been there a couple of times and its always been great and people really cool. I always pop in to Mother India for some food "amazing"


Mother India is brilliant! Banana Leaf just round the corner is also well worth a visit. There's a cycling cafe on Dumbarton road right next to the Kelvinhall underground station Called Siempre. Main chef in there, Chris, is a good cyclist and a fantastic Chef, well worth a visit and have the special. Cal, the owner, Is a great bloke. I'm in there a fair amount, you can take your bike inside so no need to lock it up.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

16 Jun 2015 12:58

42x16ss wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
42x16ss wrote:To be fair, the road is becoming a more pretentious place by the day. Between random wheelsuckers, super-commuters thinking they're riding the TDF TT and people attacking bunch rides in the first 15-20 minutes things can get silly.

I've recently moved back to Brisbane after two years away in Perth and the day to day riding scene has changed completely. People doing shop rides decked out from head to toe in matching shop kits acting like they're pros while going for a 50km Saturday morning River or Bay loop, Friday morning rides becoming smashfests and pacelines (doesn't anyone want to be fresh for the weekend?) and people jumping out of their own bunches to try and latch on to anybody faster than them to get their average speed up for Strava.

If you don't know where to find the saner groups it gets disheartening. Most guys on teams now train alone, it's not worth the risk.


Come to Glasgow, that sounds bloody awful.

I've laid it on a little thick, but you will see all of the above a couple of times a week if you ride the more common routes. We are very spoiled for weather here, especially over the winter, so you get the freds all year round.


That's a shame, sounds like you need to start a "no wankers" group ride...
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

16 Jun 2015 15:43

King Boonen wrote:
ray j willings wrote:My wife's Brother runs a printing company in the centre of Glasgow , I have been there a couple of times and its always been great and people really cool. I always pop in to Mother India for some food "amazing"


Mother India is brilliant! Banana Leaf just round the corner is also well worth a visit. There's a cycling cafe on Dumbarton road right next to the Kelvinhall underground station Called Siempre. Main chef in there, Chris, is a good cyclist and a fantastic Chef, well worth a visit and have the special. Cal, the owner, Is a great bloke. I'm in there a fair amount, you can take your bike inside so no need to lock it up.



Next time I am up ,I will definitely give it a go ,,,sound great. Cheers King.
ray j willings
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,645
Joined: 04 Aug 2011 18:15

21 Jun 2015 15:49

Is there not an asymmmetry of attitude going on with some of the comments here? "When someone in matching kit and nice bike passes me, they're a an over caffienated, rich, toss-pot, out for some meaningless saturday morning glory; but when I head out on a nice bike in my club kit and pass someone it's just because they are slower than me".

I have zero problem with people who latch onto my wheel, attack on the hills, ride expensive bikes, are carrying too much weight, are trying too hard with their kit (although the significantly overweight guy who used to cruise Beach Avenue in full white World Championship kit was pushing it a bit) or any other thing that seems to get many riled up. Anybody out on a bike is OK by me.

As for people who "brag", disparage other riders, make continual excuses or otherwise show themselves to be bitter little people - well, I just don't ride with them.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,105
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Back to top