Register

Acceptable to wear OLD team kits?

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

20 Jul 2015 20:34

wool molteni

classic

itchy though if you have that sensitive skin
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

Re:

20 Jul 2015 20:35

Arnout wrote:Is it unacceptable to wear new ones? I like my clothes to be free of holes to be honest.

You can get non-team cycling kits. Completely neutral kits that aren't made by a team.
I'm also pretty certain it would be possible to get a new from an old team, if that made sense...

Jspear wrote:Why are professional team kits sold to the public if it's not alright to wear them? I personally don't get the fuss. IMO it's fine to wear a team kit, old or new.

Coz the teams want to make money.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

20 Jul 2015 20:51

In the Netherlands it is quite normal to see cyclist in a Rabobank jersey or other team clothes. At least from my memory.

I got myself a black-fuchsia Nalini vintage jersey this spring, that I just found super fancy.^^

I guess it ain't no problem at all to wear a Carrera Jeans or Mercatone Uno outfit to appreciate the pirate, especially in Italy???
User avatar staubsauger

21 Jul 2015 02:02

if your name is mat

and your a big dude

no shame in wearing

big mat kit

Re: Re:

21 Jul 2015 02:05

RedheadDane wrote:
Arnout wrote:Is it unacceptable to wear new ones? I like my clothes to be free of holes to be honest.

You can get non-team cycling kits. Completely neutral kits that aren't made by a team.
I'm also pretty certain it would be possible to get a new from an old team, if that made sense...

Jspear wrote:Why are professional team kits sold to the public if it's not alright to wear them? I personally don't get the fuss. IMO it's fine to wear a team kit, old or new.

Coz the teams want to make money.

perhaps

would you turn up to your weekly indoor soccer game

in full barcelona fc kit

perhaps

old skool retro is cool

ofc always imho

i get plenty of comments when i'm rockin my old 7 / eleven jersey

Re: Acceptable to wear OLD team kits?

21 Jul 2015 02:52

Tonton wrote:What a cool thread! I love the Mark Renshaw story :D . True that a mix of different teams' clothing would raise my eyebrows. Or a fat guy wearing the TdF polka dot jersey. Yet, if it makes him happy, who am I to judge? I have looked up Molteni stuff, WC jersey no less :cool: , thinking that wearing Eddy's gear would push me to live up to it, ride even harder...

I remember around the whole Cav to Sky carry-on, that I saw a guy in a HTC jersey with SKY bibs at Richmond Pk.
User avatar Archibald

21 Jul 2015 03:07

completely
unacceptable

maybe the socks
but that is all

21 Jul 2015 07:10

I have an original 1986 La Vie Claire jersey that everyone loves (wish I still fit into it!)

Also a 92 Motorola - the heavy zipper tab squeaks when you ride. Really nice fabric.
User avatar Stingray34

21 Jul 2015 08:19

Good chat guys and girls!

I should point out the original question was a bit tongue in cheek, as was posting one of "the rules", I just wanted to see what people think.

I wear whatever I want on the bike. I tend not to wear modern team kit as I feel it gives the impression I support a particular team and I don't. Other than that I could care less what others wear, young lad in one of the clubs I ride with turns up in full Tinkov kit, but then he's the first up the hills so fair play to him!
User avatar King Boonen

21 Jul 2015 09:37

I go for the tactic of team jerseys purely so I have all the gear and no idea
gazr99

Re:

21 Jul 2015 10:48

King Boonen wrote:Rule #17 // Team kit is for members of the team.
Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

I think you've answered your own question there. ;)
User avatar maanderx

Re:

21 Jul 2015 10:51

gazr99 wrote:I go for the tactic of team jerseys purely so I have all the gear and no idea

I thought this now included all and any Rapha gear, team or not? :)

To be fair, I know a guy who rides in Rapha stuff, has a beautiful custom 953 SS bike and a carbon whippet. He's a seriously good rider though so all the gear and the ideas would be a better explanation!
User avatar King Boonen

21 Jul 2015 13:43

If it's clean then I'll wear it, the last thing I care about whilst cycling is how I look, having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :o

So how about wearing a trek/cannondale jersey whilst riding a bianchi, BMC etc. ?
User avatar The Principal Sheep

21 Jul 2015 13:48

The Principal Sheep wrote:If it's clean then I'll wear it, the last thing I care about whilst cycling is how I look, having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :o

So how about wearing a trek/cannondale jersey whilst riding a bianchi, BMC etc. ?

Now that's a tough one. I think old jerseys are fine on any bike. Current team jerseys would look a bit weird on anything other than that brand bike.
User avatar King Boonen

21 Jul 2015 14:23

Wear whatever you want, except if you're going to race. I'd go with nothing so current that someone serious could confuse you for a pro but YMMV. I'm personally partial to retro kit , but I'm not wearing anything in wool. 80's are nice, but two of the best, la Vie Claire and Cafe de Colombia, are a bit played out. I'd actually do late 90's (Kelme, Festina, Telekom), if not for the connotations. If saw someone with the Mapei above I'd give them a massive chapeau. Blue Garmin and Tinkoff Camo (Also the thicker midnight blue Sky, if it didn't look so hot) would be my pick of the recent litter, but I'll give it a few years.
User avatar carton

21 Jul 2015 17:12

fashion is very cyclical

scuse the pun

hang on to that usps disco sky kit

one day it'll be

all the rage

21 Jul 2015 21:45

The Principal Sheep wrote:having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :o

I'm actually working for a motorcycle company at the moment and it's part of the lock-in strategy to sell matching kit to riders, so they can't really buy another brand of motorbike without replacing their matching clothes.

And the margins are much higher than on the actual motor cycle too.
Aapjes

22 Jul 2015 08:56

Of course! I have a La Vie Claire team kit, and will probably buy a Renault and 7-Eleven team kit too
User avatar 86TDFWinner

03 Oct 2015 17:42

King Boonen wrote:
The Principal Sheep wrote:If it's clean then I'll wear it, the last thing I care about whilst cycling is how I look, having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :o

Now that's a tough one. I think old jerseys are fine on any bike. Current team jerseys would look a bit weird on anything other than that brand bike.

Sort of agree - not all team kit goes along very well with the bike/rest of the setup. I occasionally wear a Mapei GB set, whilst riding a Canyon Ultimate AL (white and black colour). Fits well together, and doesn't look stupid. However, you should wear whatever you like, even if it may look stupid (new team kit or old team kit). The No-Team-Kit-Rule is BS.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

27 Jan 2016 22:23

So I was looking around for Colombian Nat. Champs and ran into this:

So, the question is, obviously, can you wear your Nat. TT Champion jersey if you're just messing around on your TT bike?
User avatar carton

PreviousNext

Return to General