Register

Acceptable to wear OLD team kits?

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

28 Jan 2016 05:00

I wont wear advertising (team jerseys) unless I'm getting rewarded for doing so.
avanti

Re:

28 Jan 2016 11:03

avanti wrote:I wont wear advertising (team jerseys) unless I'm getting rewarded for doing so.

Do you remove/paint over graphics on your bike, groupset, wheels, shoes, pedals, helmet, bottles etc? Put tape over company logos on jerseys, shorts, socks, hats and so on? Scratch Lezyne off your pump..?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

28 Jan 2016 13:18

Well it's a bit different though, isn't it? I doubt he scraps off the brand logo on his jersey, which are the equivalent to frame graphics. Bikes don't come with advertising yet.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

Re:

28 Jan 2016 15:06

BigMac wrote:Well it's a bit different though, isn't it? I doubt he scraps off the brand logo on his jersey, which are the equivalent to frame graphics. Bikes don't come with advertising yet.

It's not that different, it's all advertising. That massive Sepcialized logo down the frameset isn't a requirement. It isn't a subtle designed to prevent fraud It's a massive advert that you're paying for the privilege to advertise, same with almost any bike brand. Same with the Castelli Scorpion and so on. No doubt the difference is many of us are proud to display certain logos, such as the Castelli scorpion, because there is a certain kudos to it within cycling snobbery. It's no different to any other advertising though.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

Re: Re:

28 Jan 2016 16:21

King Boonen wrote:
avanti wrote:I wont wear advertising (team jerseys) unless I'm getting rewarded for doing so.

Do you remove/paint over graphics on your bike, groupset, wheels, shoes, pedals, helmet, bottles etc? Put tape over company logos on jerseys, shorts, socks, hats and so on? Scratch Lezyne off your pump..?

I did specify team jerseys in my post.
avanti

30 Jan 2016 13:40

I just bought myself some super saled US Postal team kits on Aliexpress. Which is probably wrong in every possible way. :D

Plus:
http://www.prendas.co.uk/united-states-postal-service-retro-cotton-cap.html
So at least it matches! :p
User avatar staubsauger

30 Jan 2016 21:46

Hope you're lucky with the seller. I've bought a couple of kits from Aliexpress, one's still good, the other got destroyed after a few washes.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

Re:

30 Jan 2016 22:15

BigMac wrote:Hope you're lucky with the seller. I've bought a couple of kits from Aliexpress, one's still good, the other got destroyed after a few washes.

I've bought an old Molteni and Peugeot kit from aliexpress, apart from the stiches of the backpocket getting lose on the latter they are still in greats shape. I've also bought a lampre, quick-step 14 & 15 and a polka dot jersey and shorts for my son and I haven't had any problems with them either. I have to say that the quality (compared to the price) is pretty good in my eyes.
"Fred bud, he drives five kilometres too fast for us" - Frans Verbeeck talking about Eddy Merckx in an interview with Fred De Bruyne after finishing second in the Tour of Flandres in 1974.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

31 Jan 2016 15:48

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
BigMac wrote:Hope you're lucky with the seller. I've bought a couple of kits from Aliexpress, one's still good, the other got destroyed after a few washes.

I've bought an old Molteni and Peugeot kit from aliexpress, apart from the stiches of the backpocket getting lose on the latter they are still in greats shape. I've also bought a lampre, quick-step 14 & 15 and a polka dot jersey and shorts for my son and I haven't had any problems with them either. I have to say that the quality (compared to the price) is pretty good in my eyes.

Thanks pals. :)

I guess that's part of the gamble if you buy something from Aliexpress for low cash.

Hopefully I'm lucky. It was Sunny Cycling Store where I placed my order. So maybe that's where one of you got his jerseys from as well!?

Sometimes that replica stuff is simply made in the same fabrics where Nike & co themselves let produce their items. Maybe I picked out one of those!

If not, well with ~€130 for 3 kits and a winter fleece jacket there still ain't nothing to complain about. The Prendas caps are pretty good of course!
User avatar staubsauger

23 Feb 2016 12:42

I've had no problems with Prendas or Marcarini, although Marca's are mostly made for orders (3-4 weeks) and they might not ship overseas ?
User avatar @NL_LeMondFans

Re: Acceptable to wear OLD team kits?

02 Mar 2016 04:16

PDM Wordperfect Fasso Mapei all legit
User avatar Boeing

10 Mar 2016 12:24

I think team kits are ok unless in an organised race where only those with sponsors should look like they have sponsors. Rainbow, polka dot or yellow jerseys etc are never ok unless you have earned the right to wear them.
Lynton

Re:

10 Mar 2016 12:37

Lynton wrote:I think team kits are ok unless in an organised race where only those with sponsors should look like they have sponsors. Rainbow, polka dot or yellow jerseys etc are never ok unless you have earned the right to wear them.

I admit I did wear a world chamion kit once but just for the fun of a photo shoot. I didn't want to do it at first but it was too much fun to resist.

http://www.greglemondfan.com/on%20tour/lacdevassiviere2014/lacdevassiviere2014.html
User avatar @NL_LeMondFans

10 Mar 2016 15:59

@NL_LeMondFans wrote:
Lynton wrote:I think team kits are ok unless in an organised race where only those with sponsors should look like they have sponsors. Rainbow, polka dot or yellow jerseys etc are never ok unless you have earned the right to wear them.

I admit I did wear a world chamion kit once but just for the fun of a photo shoot. I didn't want to do it at first but it was too much fun to resist.

http://www.greglemondfan.com/on%20tour/lacdevassiviere2014/lacdevassiviere2014.html

I think that is a little different.
Lynton

10 Mar 2016 23:45

I've got a lovely pristine and original Cafe De Colombia top, the blue one). Only bought it cos it's got my forename on it! Sad to admit my fav top in the day was a Z jersey. I remember riding down to watch the evening track meet in Edinburgh to be met with from the riders in the middle 'oh look Robert Millar has just arrived' followed by lots of laughter. Felt a complete t*t and didn't wear it again!

Also still got a pair of La Vie Claire shorts which I just loved wearing over black tights in the winter (neutral top though - the only essential when wearing trade kit IMHO is not to go the full monty;))

Panasonic top with plain black shorts was another favourite...
User avatar ferryman

Re:

11 Mar 2016 12:21

Agree 100%. Old teams, no mas teams, sure, wear their jerseys. La Vie Claire, Team 'Z', Castorama, System 'U'..all great but 'award jerseys? Bad form unless you won them. And even guys who won them, except for the WCS, don't wear them at other races or during training.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

22 Mar 2016 09:53

It seems that Aliexpress are pretty popular for PRO Team jersey and bib shorts set sale. For quality and price, I guess China is a great place to give the best valued clothing. For custom cycling jersey for team or events, you could try Monton Sports https://www.montonsports.com -the sponsor of Continental team S.E.P San Juan in Argentina, TSG in Malaysia and Dukla Banská Bystrica cycling team in Slovakia
phebeM
Newly Registered Member

18 Apr 2016 03:03

WillemS wrote:
Arnout wrote:
Cycling culture is the worst. All those rules that are semi tongue in cheek but secretly oh so serious make me cringe.

At a local cycling event, I once observed a grown man on a bike talking to/insulting a boy* (eleven/twelve years of age?) in a world champion's kit saying the boy should not wear that and should have respect for that jersey and the "rightful" wearer. The terms the "grown" man used were a lot less respectful, though. Luckily the father of the boy just said something like "leave him alone", turned around and walked away.

*) They were totally unrelated/total strangers, as far as I could tell. The best part about it was that the man was obviously intoxicated, but still astride his mid-life crisis Pinarello (he did not really look like a "serious" cyclists).

I've spent many hours riding my bike wondering why the sport's participants can be so mean to newcomers.
I honestly don't get it, especially coming from a country that considers the sport fringe at best.
I've seen total newcomers with legs as thin as toothpicks driven out of the sport in tears because they were taunted by a cat 1-2-3 for rolling out of the parking lot on a weekend group ride in the 53-13.
It's so pathetic to see a 'top level' rider in a country that doesn't give a **** about cycling exert their power over a 'fred.'
That said, and at risk of being totally hypocritical, don't wear modern day pro jerseys, m'kay? It's sort of like showing up to a beer league hockey game wearing an authentic Toronto Maple Leafs jersey. You're just going to be made fun of.
I'm all about celebrating the history of the sport (as someone so eloquently put it a few pages back) by wearing old-school jerseys. I'd do it in a second, but i don't know where to find them.

Edited for spelling and to add that the no-modern-day jersey rule is directed toward grown men and women.
If you're a kid, wear whatever the hell you want. Go so far as sticking the number 1 race label on the back, and ride to your heart's content.
User avatar the delgados

Re:

18 Apr 2016 17:25

Aapjes wrote:Why would it be unacceptable to celebrate the history of the sport?

Hear, hear.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

20 Sep 2016 02:33

1st world problems.

Personally i think it's fine to wear whatever you have access to and let your legs, heart, lungs and skills do the talk....t shirt and cutoffs, new or old team kit, nashbar jerseys, even holes are okay---just no thin/worn out lycra please.
chuckmicD

PreviousNext

Return to General